• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Need some help with Crossfire MSI 290x Please :)

Associate
Morning All,

I am looking for some help from you guys relating to the following issue I have when using crossfire on my 2 x Reference MSI 290x video cards.

I mainly play BF4, Crysis 3 and for testing purposes I have used Heaven and 3dMark Vantage to try and see what is happening. I monitor the GPU useage and framerates etc using MSI Afterburner.

The GPU useage of my R290x's when used in crossfire fluctuates anywhere from 100% down as low as 6% in some places. However if I use just one card then GPU useage stays at a constant 90-100%. On heaven I have noticed in some places (And it seems to be the same tests) that both GPU's can drop to around 40-50% then ramp back up, its not a quick drop then back up, its a quick drop and then increments itself back to 100%. The temps of either card never go above 85c. I have also tested this with the coolers on max 100% (Dam thats loud) and the temps stayed below 75c.

I also have a power meter attached to my pc to monitor the draw from the wall and when these drops happen the draw from the wall drops, I guess this is to be expected however I was thinking if it could be a psu issue?

I have also disabled ULPS using afterburner and also tried with Frame Pacing on and off which resulted in the same.

When Gaming the draw from the wall never exceeds 700w at full tilt.

My systems is as follows:

i7-2700k @ 4.6ghz
Asus Z68-V/Gen3
2 x MSI R290x Reference Cards
4x4gb Corsair Vengeance
XFX850 PSU
BenQ XL2420T
2 x SSD
1 x 3.5" 1TB Drive

Thanks in advance for any help.

Associate
OP
Guys thanks for the replies.

Yes I am using afterburner beta 18. It's not smooth when the GPU Useage drops it causes a huge stutter, as it happens at the same points every time in heaven especially I can see on the meter the wattage drop.

Currently I have each card connected by one cable from the PSU. So 1 connector to the PSU and then it splits to 2 x 8pins. I will check in the PSU box to see if there are another 2 such cables and run these so effectively each card has 2 rails? (Does that make sense) :)

LtMatt, I will try without afterburner running tonight when I get in from work and report back.

Failing that what PSU would you guys recommend for this setup?

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Have you set the power limit at +50% in afterburner? Do the clocks drop at all or do they remain constant during 3D load?

Yep, set to 50% and no the clocks do not drop at all in xfire but do singularly. I saw this in the MSI Gaming thread the other day. I did also try clocking them to 1100 core each and they ran just the same.

Also, yes I am using the latest 13.12 Drivers.

Associate
OP
Guys thanks again, will test these suggestions out tonight.

Unfortunately I do not have a spare PSU however I do need to order one for my sons PC so I am thinking to order something better for my system that would be ample for this setup and put the XFX850 into my sons PC who has a MSI 280x.

What PSU would you guys suggest? I was looking at the Corsair AX1200i Digital but have seen that 8pack definitely does nto recommend them for Multiple GPU setups it seems.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18571430

Associate
OP
My call would be a decent single rail 1000w psu as a minimum

Amps is the main point that seems to get overlooked.

290/290X's are power hungry beasts, headroom is required especially if overclocking/overvolting.

You spent slot of money on your rig, now is not the time to cut costs

Recommendations please :) ?

Associate
OP
Whyscotty just found me a bargain in a place far far away in the fatherland. I'm going to send you a trust message with details. I'll be getting the same psu for my 290 crossfire setup. Its got more amps than a led zeppelin concert for the hard of hearing.

Love the description, Ok I have the details, you sure that thing will be ok for the 290x's crossfired?

Kinda had my heart set on the 1200w Superflower. :D

Associate
OP
You better not get yours before me as i ordered hours ago lol. 3-15 days delivery it said. Reckon it will be nearer 3 days than 15 though.

When I completed the checkout it said estimated delivery was 1st Feb ;)
Oh how i would chuckle if mine did arrive first !

Associate
OP
Makes sense to i think. At least try it and if you don't like it, get rid and sell for £100+ on the MM or an auction site.

Yep, Hope it sorts out the gpu usage issues. My BF4 GPU usage when using xfire is all over the place. Ill try it tonight and get a pic of AB if I can.

Back
Top Bottom