• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Need some help with Crossfire MSI 290x Please :)

Hi Djay.

Sorry to dig up past comments but did you try this at all? I have always been led to beleive you should not use 1 cable and then split it to run graphics cards that require two seperate rails ( in your case 4 as your running crossfire)

This would be my guess as to what the problem would have been because the rail the card is running on would be overloaded as soon as the graphics card ramped up...

if you did try this and it made no difference ignore me..

Hi mate, unfortunately yes I did try this and it was no different. :(

I was hoping for a Modular PSU so I could just have the cables out that were needed. However if it does the trick it's irrelevent.

Question for whyscotty, how does this PSU:

SuperFlower Leadex Platinum 1200W Fully Modular "80 Plus Platinum"

Compare to the one we have ordered? I do prefer modular if Im hones, plus I am fairly impatient :)

It's turned up now. Ill try it tonight and see how we go :)

Last edited:
Ltmatt, does that look right to you below? That is my GPU Usage when playing BF4 in Crossfire?

gsep.png

Wow, completely different. Just unparked core 0 and 1 I think it said.

Im running BF4 on Ultra 1920x1080, vsync off and motion blur 0%

Just tried again and although the AB graph looks the same it felt much smoother? What settings are you using?

I'm at 1440P, ultra preset with x4AA. I think you might be a bit cpu bottlenecked at 1080P. Try running at the highest settings and overclocking your cpu as much as possible.

Thats the same as Im running. So your running the same i7 but just 200mhz more?

Unparking the cores has definitely helped. Seems much smoother. Graph is looking a little better as well. Will try and clock up CPU. Gutted it's not as simple as new PSU though.

Last edited:
Yes

Here is two of my 290Xs running the same clocks

I have turned off a couple of cores on my 4930k and run the ram @1600mhz to even up the CPU performance.

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/2403770

Excellent many thanks for that. So im probably worrying about nothing. LtMatt is probably right that at 1080p the 290x are not needing to break a sweat. So in that case, lets get a new monitor :) Any recommendations.

Hows the new PSU, ok?

Hi, yes its been superb. No issues whatsoever. One drawback is the cables are not long enough for the Corsair 650 cable management. So When you put the cables out the back they won't reach to top of the case and back in . Other than that its terrific. And yours?

Is that for the cpu plug? Because i found that as well. I had to take my h100i out of my 600T before the wire would just stretch enough to fit. Other than that its a lovely psu.

Yes, In the end I couldn't be bothered and just ran everything in the case. Looking at 1440p monitors now. Never ending expense :)

Is that for the cpu plug? Because i found that as well. I had to take my h100i out of my 600T before the wire would just stretch enough to fit. Other than that its a lovely psu.

Managed to bag a EVGA 1300watt G2 at a great price elsewhere. Turned up today so will be swapping this beast Superflower PSU out, would have kept it if I could have got the cables to reach!
Will be on the MM shortly :)

Back
Top Bottom