Need to get away for a night. Suggestions please.

Associate
I used to work with a guy who regularly had this problem - he eventually settled on camping on his own, in the middle of winter and absolutely loved it. He'd spenda few days in the wilds in total isolation and come back a different guy.

Edit: his wife was very supportive after she saw the difference it made to his mental health.

Man of Honour
Going to the Isle of Wight for no other reason then wife at work and you want to get away for 1 day screams of more money then sense

It's like my millionaire grandfather "I will fly to the Isle of Wight for a cup of tea today"

Fyi my grandfather is a right arse :cry:

It's not a lot of money and why not do it? A bit of an adventure. The point about his wife being away is that it means it's not going to be an issue for him not being home.

Who wants to be stuck at home day in day out? A change of scenery is great for sorting out your mind sometimes.

Isle of white is a good shout! Hope you're enjoying yourself @Feek

Man of Honour
Who just goes and stays in a hotel for no other reason other then wife is at work :confused:

Just stay at home and doss about, why spend £ on a hotel when you have the place to yourself?

And "so much going on" what does this mean? You must go and stay in a hotel because of this? It makes no sense to me

Makes no sense? Google spontaneity or impulse, it’s been known to make my world go round.
One year, some twenty odd years back, fully aware that I don’t suffer fools gladly, my wife told me that she’d invited her brother to stay with us for New Year, she said, “I know he ****** you off, but you can go out if you don’t want to talk to him.”
I flew to Marrakech, stayed one night, then took a train to Agadir, I flew back from Agadir to London on January 3rd, she told me that I’d missed all the fireworks, I said that I’d get over it.

Soldato
Who just goes and stays in a hotel for no other reason other then wife is at work :confused:

Just stay at home and doss about, why spend £ on a hotel when you have the place to yourself?

And "so much going on" what does this mean? You must go and stay in a hotel because of this? It makes no sense to me

People that want a change of scene, people that like travelling, people that are under a lot of stress and need a break. People with a bit of sense of adventure and who like seeing new things. I mean I don't really understand why the concept is hard to grasp?

Man of Honour
People that want a change of scene, people that like travelling, people that are under a lot of stress and need a break. People with a bit of sense of adventure and who like seeing new things. I mean I don't really understand why the concept is hard to grasp?

Exactly, you see it that way Rich as do I, but hélas, some are umbilically attached to their couch.

blackpool :)

Give him a break, he’s not a bad guy, should he have an extra night in Rhyl?

Have a lovely time @Feek ! And ignore the troll that has come into this thread.

Most people have been home solidly for nearly 2 years, I can well understand someone wanting just to go someplace else for a day or two! :)

Word up!

Permabanned

God, how boring, the proper answer is people who have wangled a potential weekend away with their mistress! Is there bromide in the water? :)

Commissario
OP
It's not a lot of money and why not do it? A bit of an adventure. The point about his wife being away is that it means it's not going to be an issue for him not being home.

Who wants to be stuck at home day in day out? A change of scenery is great for sorting out your mind sometimes.

Isle of white is a good shout! Hope you're enjoying yourself @Feek
Will! Yes, I'm enjoying myself. You're absolutely bang on :)

Hope they have upgraded those ferries since the last time I used them
I think the boat I came over on is one of the older ones but to be honest, it was quick enough that I didn't really pay any attention to it. Once it started moving, it only seemed to be going for about twenty minutes before the driver told us all to go back to our cars.

I turned up at the port, drove to the check in booth and asked the nice lady how to buy a ticket, she told me to drive out, drive back in, go the other way, go into the building and use the machine. I did that, bought a ticket for the first trip that was showing and went back to the check in booth. I held my ticket out, she waved me through. It was only when the boat was moving that I looked at the ticket and noticed it was for the 15:00 sailing but I'd got on the 14:00 boat. Oops :D

Saturday morning jump in car go to the airport get Flight to guernsey then get boat trip to herm, next day boat trip back from herm to guernsey then fly back ;)
I did actually consider this.

blackpool :)
And this. I have some very fond memories of Blackpool, I've been there a few times and never failed to enjoy it. I first went there when I was in my teens as a family holiday and we did it a good few years in succession. We took our kids there as well and they loved it.

Southwold, Suffolk.
Too close, far too close. I wanted a decent drive, not just an hour up the road.

Sounds great, hope you enjoy. Ignore the hater.
I've had a thoroughly enjoyable evening. Arrived on the island and told the sat nav in the car to take me to a random hotel. Grabbed a couple of bottles of beer from a supermarket I passed on the way and after checking in, wandered to the pub a few minutes walk away.

I've just got back to my room after enjoying a sirloin steak (medium rare) with peppercorn sauce, fried egg, chunky chips, mushrooms and a garlic bread ciabatta. Naturally I ate the mushrooms last. That was followed by about half an hour reading my book and then a chocolate brownie sundae, all washed down with a couple of pints of Pedigree.

Now I'm back in my room with my boots off, the heating is on, I'm in a comfy chair with some music playing. I've got my book and the couple of bottles of beer I bought on the way. I'm booked on a late afternoon ferry tomorrow so I can at least manage a short look around the island before I go home.

Soldato
Grabbed a couple of bottles of beer from a supermarket I passed on the way and after checking in, wandered to the pub a few minutes walk away.

tooled up for a party - hope you don't bump into Boris - he maybe on a weekend escape incognito.

Man of Honour
This is what I do every.single.day.of.the.week.

Never done anything spontaneous?

@Jimbeam3678 @Macky

I’m on the Isle of Wight ferry.

Alum Bay is worth a visit. Well, it was ~45 years ago when I went...

...looks like it still is. Very striking scenery. It's a beautiful place anyway but the multicoloured sand and cliffs really make it stand out. I still have a little guitar-shaped glass ornament filled with bands of different coloured sand from there.

Commissario
OP
I went over to Alum Bay/The Needles today, very pretty but nothing really open. I’m now on the ferry back to the mainland and this one is much larger than the one I came over on.

I did have pancakes for breakfast. That was the first question I asked when I went into the hotel.

Back
Top Bottom