Need to replace my front door...

Soldato
You could always buy a Rockdoor direct of the manufacturer here. We did that and an Ultimate door with two full length side panels was about £1300. We then payed some one else £250 to fit it. The warranty from Rockdoor sits with who buys the door from GAP not with the end customer so the way we have done it it doesn't matter if the fitter goes bust as we have the guarantee.

I'm pleased with the door but it is bowed slightly when you look down the length (you can see it with the naked eye looking side on) and my father in law is now having trouble with his 8yr old Rockdoor that has bowed in length and width causing closing issues when it really cold.

We have had loads of issues with Gap's PVC door panels bowing. They replace the panels, but its cost us loads of time over the years :(. They were fine until one day they decided not to seal the glass to the panel with silicone, but to use a "silicone tape" instead. There is no such thing as silicone tape afaik and to me it just looks like the polyurethane double sided tape they sell for sticking pvc trims up with. After a few weeks/months the tape comes away and water starts to get to the MDF inside the panel and it warps, usually enough to also bow the pvc door frame so it develops a gap and stops latching.

I wasn't aware they were having the same problems with their composite doors, although its not surprising as they dont silicone the glass on those either.

Last edited:
Caporegime
We have had loads of issues with Gap's PVC door panels bowing. They replace the panels, but its cost us loads of time over the years :(. They were fine until one day they decided not to seal the glass to the panel with silicone, but to use a "silicone tape" instead. There is no such thing as silicone tape afaik and to me it just looks like the polyurethane double sided tape they sell for sticking pvc trims up with. After a few weeks/months the tape comes away and water starts to get to the MDF inside the panel and it warps, usually enough to also bow the pvc door frame so it develops a gap and stops latching.

I wasn't aware they were having the same problems with their composite doors, although its not surprising as they dont silicone the glass on those either.

I should hope not, the core of a Rockdoor is high density foam not wood like the rest of them, in addition the glass is bonded between the two outer skins not taped.

Soldato
I got a Diamond composite door with double rebate i got fitted for £1050 made a hell of difference to noise and drafts with excellent Security locks and it looks very nice from the £100 one the previous owners left.

Permabanned
OP
I tried that RKDoors again - even with their winter discount, the cheapest was £1999 without a side panel.

waiting on Urban Front still, but I guess it's gonna have to be a rockdoor...

Edit...
I just got my quote from Urban front....
NINE THOUSAND SIX HUNDRED AND SIX POUNDS!?

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
I got a quote from solidoor for £2k, this includes a yale keyfree lock and installation, which is the only main door smart lock on the market that is both keyless, and keyed (with backup battery) for your main door lock (not deadbolt).

I know the lock is £400 retail, so pretty tempted by this, but has anyone had any experience with solidoor?

Permabanned
OP
Just been told by solidor 120cm is too narrow for a door + composite side panel and too wide for a single door :( they suggested having a glass side panel... :S but not a fan of all glass....

Kinda bummed now and looks like the 3700 RK door is my only solution.

3 days later and nothing from rockdoor...

Soldato
I tried that RKDoors again - even with their winter discount, the cheapest was £1999 without a side panel.

waiting on Urban Front still, but I guess it's gonna have to be a rockdoor...

Edit...
I just got my quote from Urban front....
NINE THOUSAND SIX HUNDRED AND SIX POUNDS!?

tbf - they really aren't aimed at the replacement door market, they are pretty special high end doors with the associated price tag, iirc they are about 1800 for an internal door set.
Have you looked at nordan or the like?

Permabanned
OP
I just looked at nordan...

to be honest after being told I have dimensions that don't really work for composite I'm at a loss at what to do... nordan had smaller dimensions than solidor and rockdoor are the same - average 101cm

Soldato
With an oversized door you're likely going to have to swallow the costs tbh, I'm sure we had a 1500mm wide front door from kloeber or something before that was aluminium but no idea of the costs
I thought nordan would do a custom size too but their website looks like it's been updated with doors so maybe they've gone to set sizes for the doorsets

Caporegime
Just to hijack this, I'm looking at new front doors.

I have a Solid wood one now with just a yale and mortice lock and looking for something more secure (and no drafts or issues with expanding in wet weather).

Emailed my usual man and he said he fits hallmark composite doors and can do for about £1000.

Are these doors any good?

Caporegime
magicoi;30487648 said:
Participant - that looks great and just what I'm looking for!. Mind if if I ask the cost??

£2,700, but we basically went for the most expensive company around as we trusted them more than the other jokers we met.

It's a Rockdoor Ultimate in 'Irish oak' inside and out, with self locking, laminated frosted glass, and bar handle inside and out, so basically the most expensive combo there is.

Back
Top Bottom