Negotiating an offer.

Soldato
Make your expectations clear at interview, give an exact figure (if asked for a precise number) and don't sell yourself short.

If you give a wide range, expect to be offered the bottom end.

If you're keen to secure the position you can always ask for a post-probationary increase or seek to set KPI's to boost your basic to be review in the near future.

To echo EVH, given an employer is likely to pay anything between 15-25% to replace you asking for several hundred or a few thousands pounds is small fry in comparison to the effort, disruption and general inconvenience of having to source your successor.

Associate
As someone who recruits for roles ranging from 25-50k or up to 500 a day I can honestly say just ask for more, but in a professional way that makes it clear you're asking because you are losing a number of benefits and need the compensation to remain the same overall to justify the move. Don't mention the phone as that's petty, but the car running costs are likely to be upwards of 1k in running costs a year plus the outlay of purchasing one. I'd aim for 2-3K and let them counteroffer you down to the money you want. Many companies will just say yes anyway is it's still in the roles range.

Firstly recruitment is a ball ache and no one except someone who hasn't done much of it before wants to be spending time doing interview after interview. Reviewing CVS is becomes mind-numbing. If they have offered you it means they want you and when someone has negotiated with me, whilst its a pain, I try to make it work as they are the right person for the role in my eyes. They will never pull an offer if you ask for a reasonable request. The worst that happens if they cannot increase it (maybe due to the salary of other staff and not being able to allow you to leapfrog, especially if there is already a gender pay gap) they will say they cannot go higher but give you the opportunity to accept or reject. I've had to do that than waited anxiously for a reply.

Remember if you don't take the job they either have to go to a candidate they didn't rate as highly, or worse, start the recruitment process over again.

Soldato
I recently tried to negotiate a wage got less than I wanted but it was a change in career that in the long term is better, I didn't want to push my luck with back and forth so accepted the role don't regret it as much as I would if they walked away

Back
Top Bottom