Neighbours God **** tree!

Bought a house last year. There's a big tree slightly over hanging my drive. I didn't appreciate just how much rubbish I will suffer because of this tree.

Soon it'll be the leaves, that's fine the wind moves them and it's to be expected, early in the year its endless sap, and now its the acorns. Endless acorns. I take a petrol leaf blower 4 times a week to my drive. Below is a photo I took today. 2 days prior I cleared the whole drive of acorns to see how quickly they come back.

Any thing I can do? I spoke to him and he said the tree is old so he went to leave it as is. Understandable but fml surely there's a limit to the rubbish you can expect from a neighbours tree?

Soldato
OP
v7lQrnE
Acorns!

https://imgur.com/gallery/v7lQrnE

Soldato
OP
Gather them up and lob them back into his garden? Keep doing that till he’s had his fill and decides it’s probably better to trim the tree back a bit?
It's tempting, however he's a nice guy and it's the scrap end of his long garden. He wouldn't notice the acorns piling up with the bushes growing there. Whenever this ever stops, the leaves will hit us next.

Surely there's a rule how much you can expect to suffer with?

Soldato
OP
Not if it’s protected! You have to apply for permission even if its on your land and then there are set rules on how it must be cut and so on.

Yes this was also a thought. he said it wasn't protected as I said I'd like it if it could be thinned a bit to remove some of the worst bits, but the concern then would be less weight my side would it eventually just fall towards his house.

Soldato
OP
I think I remember that driveway from another post. Were you not moaning about someone parking an inch or two over your boundary?
I would just sweep them up, trees are life givers you know. Too many people cutting down trees for no good reason.

EDIT : Jesus, I was right
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/parking-near-a-dropped-kerb-how-close.18846516/

You do tend to moan a lot, maybe you should find a pass time or something to keep your brilliant mind occupied.

You seem to be unaware that the people were parking illegally and got tickets for covering half our exit and now it doesn't happen. They got tickets because we were right. You do seem to have an issue with others having issues. Have you considered getting yourself checked? Perhaps go outside and get off your computer and see the world?

You're moaning about someone moaning about something that literally doesn't effect you even in the slightest. I couldn't get off my drive way like I should have because it was blocked. I moaned.

You see text on a computer forum and you moan. Jesus wept man. Try something better with your life.

Soldato
OP
I honestly don't understand the perspective of these annoyed neighbours. Surely the tree was there before you bought the house? How you can complain after the fact you bought the house is beyond me. Sell up, go get an apartment in a city high-rise and live tree free..... Or just do what normal people do, suck it up and get your hands dirty two or three times a year.

It's a good point. But the tree was also smaller. It was even smaller 10 years, and in 10 years it'll be even bigger so we have the right to say cut it back now, and in 10 years let's cut it back again. Trees aren't a static thing that never changes. I'm sure you're aware of that right?

Soldato
OP
I'm trying to think of something to say that wont antagonize you further, but the only thing I can think of is to ask you kindly to seek some help before its too late. Life is to short to bother getting wound up about the smallest things, don't let the ******** get you down.

Ahem. Beer monster UK needs to seek advice. People are allowed to find small things an issue that they'd like to solve in an adult manner. Beer monster UK however needs to get over his feeling that this is a huge issue. It really isn't.

Soldato
OP
Huge issue? Dude, it's leaves and acorns on a drive........... The adult way is man the **** up, buy a brush and get on with your life.

Yes you have an issue if you think it's that bad that someone can't try and solve a small problem like acorns falling from a tree covering a drive like it does.

I can't imagine your life that leads you to reach the level of outrage that you have, even if small, because of this simple thread. It's literally the least important thing in my life, but it's still an issue I'd like to find any improvement to. And this has caused you enoogh of an outrage to bother replying and replying in the manner you did.

Seek help. There are biggers problems in this world. Even my tiny acorn issue is bigger than yours

Soldato
OP
What are you blathering on about. There is no outrage. Its a non issue. How can anyone get outraged about a few acorns and leaves, let alone seek advice how to handle the neighbour on a tech forum.

I'd suggest you have the bigger problem. :)

We will have to agree to disagree.

You're "outraged" that I'm "outraged" by the issues this tree has bought and the desire to seek solutions. That's unfortunate. I can imagine your partner coming home, letting off steam due to whatever mundane issues her day has dealt her, and your response being the above. Best of luck to you.

I have an issue with my android device. The back button when using chrome sometimes goes back one step, sometimes goes back 3/4 steps with one click. Should I make a thread about that or will you come over and start ******* on that one too? Surely that's just as tiny an issue if not less. But that's allowed or not? Again it's you with the issues if you feel the need to **** on a thread like that. Just because the issues small doesn't mean a tiny thread can't be made about it.

Back on topic. I've booked a tree surgeon to come take a look to cut some of the worst branches that are over hanging. Unsure on costs but if nothing too crazy will likely get this done.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Oak trees can live for hundreds of years, and take 50 years or more to start producing acorns. Do you really want to hack a decades old icon of the English landscape back to avoid a minor inconvenience?

We could hack away quite a lot and still have plenty branches left to look like a full tree.

One neighbour removed the whole oak tree. We are just looking to thin out the branches that are on our side to reduce the crud.

Just look at this. I cleared this earlier in the week. I did the same again a few days before that. And again before that. And before that.

https://imgur.com/gallery/fgUsxRJ

Soldato
OP
When I moved in the garden was decking and patio. Now half of it is grass, and there's a bedding that I will use next year. Put front I plan to make a new bedding and plant a variety of plants around march/April.

You're probably a wrong.

Soldato
OP
Oh and put your bins away. Can't stand it when folk just leave their bins out all over the place all the time.
You're not doing well. 4 of those bins are not ours, plus I don't know how to tell you this but images aren't live pictures. They capture a moment in time. That moment was bin day, so the bins had been put out for the bin men.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Go pick them up and eat them?
You seen how many there are and how dead they are now they are falling from the tree. I'd eat nothing but acorns for the rest of the year.

Had a great tree surgeon come out today. He looked it over and made some good points about health and safety due to the height of the branches that this stuff falls from as well as the damage to vehicles, even if there was no tpo, this one would have no issue getting permission to be reduced. £500 for all to be done in a months time.

Going to let the neighbour know once he's sent over the photos.

Soldato
OP
Funnily enough I really like the sounds on Sunday
4 - 6 weeks.

Did you not foresee this problem when you first saw a large oak tree hanging over your property?

That photo is 5 days. It's been going on for more then 6 weeks and will continue to.

I don't see your suggestion as being well thought out.

The law says can cut it back where it hangs over our property. I plan to do this. So I guess even if I did forsee this, this is an allowed solution. Once upon a time this tree wasn't overhanging this property. One upon a time the tree didn't produce acorns like it now does. Trees change and this one has been allowed to get past a reasonable amount of mess that it creates. it will be dealt with, as is allowed, rightly, by law :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom