NeilC's Photography Thread

Associate
Hey all,

Been reading these forums and buying things from Overclocker's for years but never got round to making a forum account and posting... so I thought I'd just jump straight in at the deep end and make my own photo thread :)

I've always loved photography but only really started to get into myself in July 2013 when I brought my first DSLR a Nikon D600. Since then I've been learning as much as I can and trying to put it into practice but still have so much to learn. I currently have the Nikon 24-70mm & 70-200mm 2.8 lenses. Landscapes, seascapes and long exposures seems to be my thing and fits in nicely with my other interests, hiking and exploring.

I look forward to sharing my work and chatting with you guys over the coming months, here's a few to get started :)

Moody Blue Kirkjufell
by Neil Corrigan Photography, on Flickr

Glem of Imaal, sunset.

Kippure Sunset

April Sunrise

Looking back along the Glenmalur Valley

Soldato
Very nice, I think #2 & #4 are the weaker ones, but purely because of how much I like the others.

Can't make my mind up about #1 due the WB. I know that's the whole point of the image, but can't help thinking it would look equally as good with less blue.

As for #3 & #5, I think they are bloody fantastic!

Associate
OP
Thanks guys, you get a different perspective once other people start to comment on your work, should have done this months ago.

Looking back now at #1 I think it deserved better processing, it was shot in the rain and there were quite a few big rain spots on the photo. You can see by the uneven shading in the water and the sky my attempts to get rid of these. The ND filter gave it the blue tint, I messed around with getting rid of it but it summed up the mood better left as it was, though the original blue tint actually seems to look better now. I'm probably still in the phase where I over process things, it will be a fun image to revisit 6-12 months down the line when my processing skills improve.

#5 was one of those lucky ones, right place right time.

oio

oio

Associate
The first and third have a nice stark simplicity to them; evocative and otherworldly. The third is especially wonderful.

Caporegime
Like the 3rd the most, the 1st is almost as good but the blue is not quite right (it's close but I think if it was toned down a little it would work better).

As oio above says, nice simplicity and makes you think much longer about them.
I would be very inclined to crop the 3rd photo to a wider aspect ratio, 2:1 or more and then print it nice and big.

The 2nd and 4th are nice snapshots but these kinds of things are overly familar.
The processing on the last hasn't worked for me.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I originally planned to go and shoot the sunset for this first one, everything was perfect. The sun was out and there was not a cloud in the sky. I hiked up on to the hills in the middle left of the picture with all my gear and the sun was due to set right in the center of the valley way off around the corner to the right. Not a cloud in the sky.... except for when I finally reached my destination at the top of the hill only to find one patch of clouds, exactly where the sun was setting.... I didn't get the shot I was after :mad:

Luckily on the way back the car I came across this scene so it was worth the trip after all :cool:

Glendalough Twilight

Camped out overnight as I wanted to be up for sunrise in a particular location, there's no way I'd be up if I was sleeping in my own bed ;) Woke up and the sky was amazing it took a lot longer than expected to reach my destination on this occasion :)

Wicklow Hills

Visited the French Alps at the worst time this year, one of the wettest summers on record for July/August. Was kinda disappointed at first as I couldn't take the pictures I wanted, but eventually I started to enjoy the challenge of looking for shots through the clouds :)

Cloudy Tree Tops

Back
Top Bottom