NEST thermostats

Soldato
Been keeping an eye on these for a while and their UK release is imminent. You can already wire a US one up and have correct weather integrations, etc, but if I go this route, I would rather wait for the proper UK release.

https://nest.com/thermostat/life-with-nest-thermostat/

Now, question:

Would this work effectively in a UK home? Where we have thermostats placed in the coolest part of the home to gauge our temperatures and ask the thermostat to tell the heating to kick in until it hits the predefined temp. To implement the NEST properly, your heating would need to be effectively on, permanently, although I haven't seen the full schematic.

By contrast, LightWaveRF use TRVs, their wireless box and a boiler power unit to basically cycle the boiler as required to keep each room right (which I think I would prefer).

http://www.lightwaverf.com/store/order-heating

I assume the NEST has a similar boiler switch.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Soldato
Great news it's finally coming, haven't kept up with the developments last few months.:o

Trouble with American heating system they use 24 volts for boiler & air conditioning controls, which we don't.

Didn't realise you can already wire a US one up and have correct weather integrations, etc, thought difference in voltages was the reason for te delays.

Last edited:
Associate
Will be picking one of these up purely for the geek factor. Will need to relocate out thermostat from the stairs to downstairs hallway though - current location catches the sun.

Soldato
OP
What I get though, is the LightWave RF stuff uses the WiFi link to each rooms TRV, which I think I prefer, where as, as Mr Stu says, potentially, this might require some thermostat relocation....

I love the look of the NEST, but the convenience of LightWaveRF especially with the light switches we have might seal the deal.

Wiring for UK Nightglow:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIUL8ZPyA54

I did find a page with step by step but seem to have misplaced my google ability to find it now :(

Associate
I'd love the nest when it comes to the UK, but I don't have a thermostat, just the thermostatic valves. I take it I wouldn't be able to install one until I got a thermostat?

Soldato
Would this work effectively in a UK home? Where we have thermostats placed in the coolest part of the home

I was going to install mine in the lounge when they are released here. Would that cause problems? My current thermostat is positioned above the hall radiator so would ideally like to move it.

Soldato
I want one of these as soon as it is out - we already have a wireless honeywell unit and it is good but when i go to work in the evening the number of times Tracy forgets to turn the heating off is getting silly. I do wonder how it would be installed as i have a wireless box on the boiler and then the controller wireless - i assume the nest needs to be hard wired in?

Programming really doesn't work as i work odd and varying times and therefore am at home odd and varying times - nest sounds exactly what i need and i can remotely log in from work and turn it down when house is in bed etc!!

I am also going to get the smoke/co2 alarms - i hear they integrate well with each other even if the whole system is more google spying these days ;)

Associate
Got fed up of waiting for nest and ordered a tado.
Thing I didn't like about the nest is the actual thermostat isn't wireless so it would just be a good looking waste under the boiler.

Tado is due to be delivered soon.
My whole house is all lightwaverf lighting wise it's not a perfect product but it's decent for the money.

Caporegime
If you've already got a UK central heating system with TRVs on each radiator then isn't moving to a central thermostat a bit of a step backwards? As I understand it was designed for the US market with furnaces and warm air systems.

Edit: It's a bit disappointing that you need to wire in various relay controllers yourself, rather than Honeywell being able to provide a drop-in replacement for a standard 2 channel programmer. They even use a standard backplane now.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom