NEST thermostats

Soldato
Definitely will not go back to a "regular" thermostat.
Thanks. I seem to be in a hard place now with my other half. She seems insistent that the Nest bizarrely either needs to be wired via old thermostat wires, or via usb. Now she's freaking out that because I want it on the wall in the hall; our gasman or electrician has more work to do - or can't run anything behind the wall because it's solid Victorian - or if we decide we don't like it we've now wrecked the wall... or something? lol :rolleyes:

All in all that seems reason enough to not get it, and of course I'm the idiot for wanting something more complicated than a "normal" thermostat. Argh, women.. :o /sexist

It is bizarre you can't mount it to the wall without old thermostat wires (very old school) or have to have a usb plug which I find strange for a permanent solution...

Associate
Thanks. I seem to be in a hard place now with my other half. She seems insistent that the Nest bizarrely either needs to be wired via old thermostat wires, or via usb. Now she's freaking out that because I want it on the wall in the hall; our gasman or electrician has more work to do - or can't run anything behind the wall because it's solid Victorian - or if we decide we don't like it we've now wrecked the wall... or something? lol :rolleyes:

All in all that seems reason enough to not get it, and of course I'm the idiot for wanting something more complicated than a "normal" thermostat. Argh, women.. :o /sexist

It is bizarre you can't mount it to the wall without old thermostat wires (very old school) or have to have a usb plug which I find strange for a permanent solution...

How about you get the thermostat and use it wirelessly, i.e. you'll need to ensure a (micro?) usb power connection near it, and it needs to be within wireless distance of where you'll put the heat link (which I reckon will either be near your boiler, or near the heating valves (if multizone)).
It might not be the best solution, but will allow you to play with it and if you don't like it you haven't ruined any walls and you could always sell it and make most your money back; if you do, then install it on the wall. F

Soldato
How else would you suggest the thermostat gets power? Using a 12v feed from old CH wiring or USB power seems logical to me.

Soldato
How about you get the thermostat and use it wirelessly, i.e. you'll need to ensure a (micro?) usb power connection near it, and it needs to be within wireless distance of where you'll put the heat link (which I reckon will either be near your boiler, or near the heating valves (if multizone)).
It might not be the best solution, but will allow you to play with it and if you don't like it you haven't ruined any walls and you could always sell it and make most your money back; if you do, then install it on the wall. F
I think this might be the best compromise. Thing is, our kitchen currently looks like this;

sxtpBLX.jpg

So chipping out another cable into the wall is really no big deal :p Doing it in a years time when everything is decorated etc. would just be a ballache and I'd imagine we'd actually never get round to it!
How else would you suggest the thermostat gets power? Using a 12v feed from old CH wiring or USB power seems logical to me.
Most wireless thermostats (including new smart ones e.g. Tado or Hive) run fine from batteries. It's very strange the Nest doesn't.

Back
Top Bottom