Network Hard drive?

Associate
Hi,

I'm looking to buy and then add an external hard disk to my router, as I know nothing about these sort of drives can someone elaborate and also recommended one of these drives to me.

Thanks.

Soldato
Might be an idea to create your own though.

I just built a P3 server NAS - it's much more configurable and costs less than a proprietory solution. I'll be running a RAID array of disks for security - something which you won't see in any of the cheap enclosures available (sub £400 really). Do not say NetGear SC101 - this is not true NAS as it requires drivers to be seen on the network and causes drives to overheat thanks to poor design.

Soldato
Yes - it's one of my uses of my server.

I'm not sure if it will stream the media or simply just cache it in the temporary internet files though. Something to be wary of if watching a video or something.

Associate
I was thinking of tgetting the

Icy Box IB-NAS900-B NAS Enclosure (HD-015-BT)

Sub £50 inc VAT!!!

I just need it to hold music files so multiple PC's can access them. Central location and all that. I don't have a HTPC or want to stream videos round the house. Just want to easily share my music between PC and laptop without having to turn both on!!

I have a wireless router I can plug the NAS direct into, which the PC is cabled into, and the laptop wireless to. My modem is plugged into it to so if I am lucky I could hook it up as an FTP server to and download music from it whilst abroad/remote location?

Back
Top Bottom