Network is unreachable

Associate
oky, I must have done something wrong.....

Code:
PING 192.228.79.201 (192.228.79.201): 56 data bytes
ping: sendto: Network is unreachable

hmmm, gateway 192.168.1.254 is set in /etc/sysconfig/network-devices/ifconfig.eth0/ipv4

so why is it saying unreachable?

Any ideas?

Thanks

Associate
OP
nevermind.... it doesn't tell me I had to restart the interface....

./ifdown eth0
./ifup eth0

lol.... sorted it....

whats sudo anyways?

Caporegime
You'll run into problems, and fast.

root doesn't have everything that a normal user does. Home directory will be /root for a start.

Application and environment variables will not always be available. You won't have a $PATH correctly declared by default etc. etc. etc.

Create a new user for your self, and you can use sudo (or even login to root) via a terminal, as and when you need root access :)

Soldato
yoda said:
but but but.... I'm the admin.... I'm priviledged....

I allways run as root..... (starts whistling)

i get yelled at in our office for disabling root access on servers and making people login with their regular accounts.

Associate
OP
but.... but....
I'm the only one who logs into the linux server...
And I only log in on a console when I need to install or change something.... so I'll need root....

WHOOOTED!

Caporegime
yoda said:
but.... but....
And I only log in on a console when I need to install or change something.... so I'll need root....

WHOOOTED!
That's fine, just don't log onto the box as root. You'll experience problems (and ridicule on *nix forums :rolleyes: ) for using root as you main account.

i.e. my user name on my box is john. When the box boots, I login as john.

Then when I need to install or similar I open a terminal and use 'su -' or sudo.

Una

Una

Associate
yoda said:
but.... but....
WHOOOTED!

Its a security issue, you should always run programs at the lowest privilidge they require. Just say your system gets hacked and you run a binary as root, thats pretty much game over. Another example of this is running your irc/IM client as root, if there is a vulnrability in the software you can cause arbitary code execution. If its run as a normal user the damage is limited, but if its run as root its game over again.

This is why windows is so poor in this respect, default users can make system critical changes.

Typing sudo whatever instead of su'ing up is hardly an inconvenience.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom