Neuralink - demo with a paralysed person.

Associate
Quite possibly people in adulthood today might be among the groups that miss out. Of course, there's also the issue that as that sort of life extension tech is rolled out there will be winners and losers within a given generation/cohort too.
Yep, I'm quite sure Elon Musk will be the first to do some sort of life extension. Although he may be slightly too old.. maybe zuckerberg

Last edited:
Soldato
I had an OCZ Nia Neural impulse actuator back in 2008/2009. It was extremely difficult to setup and get it trained. Frustratingly slow because for long periods of times it felt like nothing was happening. It was also a complex process setting it up for use with each game. OCZ had profiles for some games which saved a bit of time. However, after a couple of months it started to click and I could use it pretty well. It worked really good in games that OCZ did profiles for. Half Life 2 and Counter Strike Source. Could walk around a map duck, dodge, shoot, the whole works.

Outside of the very complex and frustrating setup process, the main problem with it was that it was extremely difficult to control your reactions, facial movements etc. You couldn't talk to teammates in Counter Strike, for example, or else it would do something unexpected in the game. No eating or drinking while gaming either. You had to be completely zen in both mind and facial expressions to use it properly.

I am mentioning this because I am surprised it took this long to get from the likes of the OCZ device to the Neuralink mentioned in the opening post. The addition of an implant must be what it gives it the fine control so that you don't have to be so completely focused on the one thing.

With implants like this, I am guessing sight and hearing loss will soon be things of the past for those that can afford it? Will implants like this solve things like Dementia and Alzheimer's?

Interesting times.

Soldato
Will implants like this solve things like Dementia and Alzheimer's?
there's increasing evidence that Alzheimers and possibly dementia are caused by excess sugar intake - they are starting to call Alzheimers "type 3 diabetes", so if its being caused by brain damage then unlikely this will help much with that, this helps people who lose specific contacts with the outside world, so inputs and outputs, but internally not so much

Caporegime
I think you're just angry that he's involved in this tbh.
your the one comparing the bandwidth of 20 year old tech...

it's like comparing a a cpu from 2006 and comparing it to one from now.....

then complaining the 2006 cpu was bad because it lacks bandwidth etc....... how hard some people have to stick up for elon ......

he should release a cpu and then his fans can tell us how he invented the microchip

Last edited:
Commissario

then complaining the 2006 cpu was bad because it lacks bandwidth etc....... how hard some people have to stick up for elon ......

he should release a cpu and then his fans can tell us how he invented the microchip
20+ year old consumer tech vs current experimental tech even.

It's like comparing a desktop processor from 20 years ago with a the sort of CPU they're running in high end professional systems or servers.

I wouldn't even be surprised if a modern version of the old gimmick headsets could do much more now, simply because the cost of the signal processing needed has dropped massively whilst the sensors have improved in sensitivity etc.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP

You brought up and made the comparison, I'm simply pointing out that it's not a particularly good one.

We had electric vehicles in the past; milk floats in the 1980s etc. pre-Tesla we've had touch screen mobile phones in the 90s pre-iphone. It's rather ridiculous to be so dismissive and try and pretend that something isn't innovative just because you're making a superficial comparison to previous tech.

But he didn't claim to be the first to have wired up someone's brain.

Last edited:
Soldato
I don’t care how many people claim it will never be possible because of physics, but warp speed will happen in the very distant future.

Aren’t we already getting close to the Star Trek type impulse power engines?
Ish:
An ion thruster creates a cloud of positive ions from a neutral gas by ionizing it to extract some electrons from its atoms. The ions are then accelerated using electricity to create thrust.
The thing that will get us faster than light, or near light speed travel is cheap access to space (which is seeing great progress).

Innovation is more likely when you can fail cheap and often as ideas and designs evolve - even a few years a go you needed the resources of a nation state to put something in orbit.

We're not many years away from small businesses and private citizens being able to get stuff in orbit at this rate.

Soldato
I hope brain signal inferencing can evolve to where all I need to do is wear a headset and I can control my PC without a mouse and keyboard, just be thinking all the actions on the PC happen. But I dont want a chip in my head no thanks, a headset is the max I'll tolerate

Associate
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom