Never buy a house without having searches done

Soldato
Every week we go to market Drayton to do the shopping and we have watched the development of a new estate going up on main road that bypasses MD.

Right from start and as they went up we thought look how close they are to each other and these are the big detached ones.

The weeks passed and it looks like it's nearly finished when a few weeks ago the fenced of land on opposite side of main road was taken down - The following week there was a big box thing right on front edge of the land with a caravan on top -full size one and said to wife that's a funny place to put the builders hut.
The next week we went there was a big sign up praising the fact that a new Travelers camp was being built if planning pass it.

Wow - Should the house developers have told anyone interested in their house that a travelers camp will go up over the road.

Soldato
TBF, we've had one round the corner from us and not heard a peep from them in 11 years. They also make/sell the best Christmas decorations around. I think there's another camp about the same distance in the opposite direction, but even more secluded and keeping well behaved.

The problems seem to come from those who don't use the camps and just rock up in whatever layby or public park they feel like, stay a few days, and then (if the local cops have the balls to force them) dump all their **** and **** off with whatever they've managed to nick.

Soldato
TBF, we've had one round the corner from us and not heard a peep from them in 11 years.
I know a few folk that live near some sites and likewise, they don't have any problems with them - not sure how true it is but i was told it's because they don't cause trouble on their own doorstep and keep it further afield ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Associate
I know a few folk that live near some sites and likewise, they don't have any problems with them - not sure how true it is but i was told it's because they don't cause trouble on their own doorstep and keep it further afield ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Good luck selling a house next to a camp... For reasons right and wrong, the house will never be what you paid for it.

Permabanned
It looks like that may have been a clever ploy by locals to advertise the fact that a traveller site was being considered, maybe to rile people up enough to oppose it in time.

Soldato

I know a fair few locals and rumour has it this is supposed to force the hand of the developers opposite to buy back that land at a huge increased rate to prevent a complete loss of sales, smart move to be fair.

Yeah .... that's the current land owner trying to get a better deal :cry: Needs some burned mattresses and dog poo scattering around too.

Man of Honour

Reminds me we've not had a problem for awhile of them breaking into the car park at work and setting up camp overnight after being moved on elsewhere in town. Hopefully not speaking too soon. Strangely enough after the local authorities started playing hard ball with them they don't tend to stay around here causing problems any more.

Soldato
TBF, we've had one round the corner from us and not heard a peep from them in 11 years. They also make/sell the best Christmas decorations around. I think there's another camp about the same distance in the opposite direction, but even more secluded and keeping well behaved.

The problems seem to come from those who don't use the camps and just rock up in whatever layby or public park they feel like, stay a few days, and then (if the local cops have the balls to force them) dump all their **** and **** off with whatever they've managed to nick.
My experience is the exact opposite. The kids run amok and steal and bully other kids. The parents steal petrol from the nearby Co-op. The police make regular visits to the camp site and becareful driving past because they will just pull out into the main road and don't care if they cause an accident.

Later on they built a new build housing estate next door to the camp site and they caused so much trouble that I think the police threatened them with tearing down the campsite if they continued to harass people on the housing estate.

Last edited:
Associate
We have a knock on the door from travellers asking us to buy something, or asking if we need gardening/removal/driveway/etc work doing every month or 2, i always say no.
about doing searches on a house before sale, of course yes it is essential. iirc in about 2003 i was about to buy a house, it was the day of signing for it, and my solicitor uncovered the seller had taken out a last minute loan secured on the property! i would've been liable for it. needless to say the purchase didn't go through.

Back
Top Bottom