Never buy a house without having searches done

Caporegime
The next week we went there was a big sign up praising the fact that a new Travelers camp was being built if planning pass it.

Wow - Should the house developers have told anyone interested in their house that a travelers camp will go up over the road.

I'm not sure they'd have been in a position to know in advance if it doesn't even have planning permission, that's not exactly unheard of for travelers to buy some cheap agricultural land and then just turn up and stick caravans/build bungalows on it.

See Dale farm, they set up a bunch of illegal pitches there, at one point asked the local authority for 6 million in order to move on... ended up costing several million and years of legal battles to shift them. During that time one person was shot dead at the site and a family burned to death in one of the chalets/bungalows.

Caporegime
I know a few folk that live near some sites and likewise, they don't have any problems with them - not sure how true it is but i was told it's because they don't cause trouble on their own doorstep and keep it further afield ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I doubt that, I don't think the law-breaking travelers have any qualms about being a pest in any area.

Perhaps your friends live near legal traveler sites with planning permission etc.. that could be a very different scenario. See for example Dale farm where there were some English/Romani Gypsies living in a legal site with planning permission then some Irish travelers bought some adjacent land:

Two Irish travellers, Patrick Egan and John Sheridan, and a third man purchased the cottage and the green fields around it from Bocking for £120,000 in 2002.[9] The local residents reported a clear difference between the behaviour of the English Gypsies and the Irish travellers. Around that time more Irish travellers began to arrive and the Gypsies decided to move on.

Permabanned
I love this bit.

"We are looking to start the works as soon as possible. All materials used and local businesses will be sourced to carry out the works through to completion.
Basically that translates to all materials will almost certainly be sourced from local businesses. But it doesn’t mean they or the services will be payed for. :cry:

Caporegime

I know a fair few locals and rumour has it this is supposed to force the hand of the developers opposite to buy back that land at a huge increased rate to prevent a complete loss of sales, smart move to be fair.

That makes more sense (trying to shake down the developer) than some actual travelers intending to live there buying it and then randomly sticking up advertising instead of simply moving onto the site, building stuff regardless and getting pro-bono human rights lawyers involved if their application fails.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Massive thread necro but I see this on my travels to Wales the past few days as I rarely venture into Wales I only caught it now. It intrigued me and ofcourse OcUk has already been and reported it.

All those brand new homes being built on the opposite side of the road must be going cheap as I noticed they are still building them but very few people are going to buy a house opposite a gypsy site. Most of them look empty.

Anyone have any update on this as it has been nearly a year from the op and nothing has changed since?

Me personally I would think having a travellers site on your doorstep is a positive as they generally don't poo on their own lawn so to speak.

Last edited:
Caporegime
And if they need their drives tarmacced, the same applies.
or if you need any rubble there will be plenty of it around.

Where I grew up there was farmland that travellers would camp on.
they would leave piles of rubble, piles of tarmac looking crap.
piles of rubbish etc.

proper destroying a grass field and leaving thousands of pounds worth of crap behind the farmer has to take care off.

he ended up just completely blocking off every way into his farmland apart from the access roads from his farmhouse.

We used to go to the fields to play as kids, I don't even remember how old I was but I must have only been around 6 years old.

these traveller kids come out of nowhere and stat swearing at us and chase us off the field to my front door, we all run inside.

then there's these 3 kids with knives arguing with my parents at the gate.

proper scum.... have a bad reputation because they earned it over the years.

I guess there's more than one type of traveller though, the ones who run the fairs don't seem too bad

Farmer wasn't exactly nice either... would chase us across his farmland in his car proper trying to give us a good scare.

often people would be in a small wooded area in the middle of the fields shooting birds.
they would shoot over our heads so all the pellets landed around us etc to get us to move off...

back then no one ever had the idea to tell our parents, I reckon some of the dads would have gone up and beat the crap out of them.

Last edited:
Associate
Farmer wasn't exactly nice either... would chase us across his farmland in his car proper trying to give us a good scare.

often people would be in a small wooded area in the middle of the fields shooting birds.
they would shoot over our heads so all the pellets landed around us etc to get us to move off...

back then no one ever had the idea to tell our parents, I reckon some of the dads would have gone up and beat the crap out of them.
He probably acted the same as you would if you came home and found a load of kids playing in your back garden. I never understand why people think its ok to wander all over people's private land, just because its in the countryside!

Caporegime
He probably acted the same as you would if you came home and found a load of kids playing in your back garden. I never understand why people think its ok to wander all over people's private land, just because its in the countryside!
There were public rights of way all through the fields, we weren't destroying his crops.

He just didnt like us being there, also we were probably about 9 years old, theres no excuse for using a car as a weapon.
Funnily enough he stopped doing it when we were teenagers

Last edited:
Soldato
Is there really an application for a traveller site? It looks like a **** take to me.

Edit - actually on Jaybee's Google Maps link the sign does have a planning application reference.

Edit 2 - it is actually real, they have until April 2026 before the permission expires.

Last edited:
Soldato
6-AMZ3-GP7alhsh-Cp0-Ydauo-MW6-Nez-ZFdks-FPGEA-f7-U.png

Caporegime
Massive thread necro but I see this on my travels to Wales the past few days as I rarely venture into Wales I only caught it now. It intrigued me and ofcourse OcUk has already been and reported it.

All those brand new homes being built on the opposite side of the road must be going cheap as I noticed they are still building them but very few people are going to buy a house opposite a gypsy site. Most of them look empty.

Anyone have any update on this as it has been nearly a year from the op and nothing has changed since?

Me personally I would think having a travellers site on your doorstep is a positive as they generally don't poo on their own lawn so to speak.

There is absolutely no way I'd want to live near one of these sites.
Unless I had exchanged I'd pull out. Wouldn't care how much I lost.

Having seen the amounof rubbish etc outside one that's a few miles from me no way.
u8vPd2x.jpeg

Last edited:
Associate
Oh dear.

I have grown up with quite a few Romany gypsies, and was with one for quite a few years. I got to know the very large family, very well. Although they did all live in houses, quite a few of them were certainly up to no good, and quite often in various aspects. One of which was very naughty, and I worked for him for a while (also dodgy). I'm almost certain he has a few bodies to his name. But they certainly did not **** in front of the caravan, so to speak.

As someone else mentioned, it is generally the ones that do actually travel that are the problem, and leave the area an absolute state.

Last edited:
Soldato
There is absolutely no way I'd want to live near one of these sites.
Unless I had exchanged I'd pull out. Wouldn't care how much I lost.

Having seen the amounof rubbish etc outside one that's a few miles from me no way.
u8vPd2x.jpeg

Pengham Green "as busy as it gets".
*Image of a dead field ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
so is it a conservative or labour council ... hasn't kier promised brown field site renewal, with quelling opposing voices.

Soldato
Seems a legit planning application!

Whether this is to force the hand of developers to buy it back as said not sure but look at this:

Reference22/05366/FUL
Alternative ReferencePP-11724891
Application ValidatedTue 03 Jan 2023
AddressLand Off A53 Market Drayton Shropshire
ProposalChange of use of land to use as a residential caravan site for 5 gypsy families, each with 2 caravans including no more than one static caravan/mobile home, together with laying of hardstanding, erection of 5 No. ancillary amenity buildings, installation of package sewage treatment plant and, access improvements. Access improvements to include construction of new accesses with A53, relocation of existing lay-by, and construction of new access road and lay-by
StatusGranted
DecisionGrant Permission
Decision Issued DateMon 17 Apr 2023
Appeal StatusUnknown
Appeal DecisionNot Available

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom