Never tried Gin before

Soldato
Nothing wrong with Schweppe
Except like most soft drinks nowadays it's full of sweeteners. Yuck. I can taste the difference between sweeteners and non-sweeteners pretty easily. Heck,, my girlfriend can smell the difference even with coke and diet coke!

Ordering a g&t in a bar is a minefield because of this, it has to be Fever Tree or nothing unfortunately. (Unless they have some uber independent craft tonic etc)

Also a big fan of a stronger ratio. 2 parts mixer to 1 part gin is good,I think!

Soldato
a lot of my friends drink gin, i kept drinking it and really didnt see the appeal. in fact i found it awful. turns out i didnt like tonic water and gin was actually lovely. try with lemonade too.

Soldato
Grab a pint glass.

Grab hold of some ice cold cider and fill the glass.

Take the bottle of gin and place back in the cupboard.

Enjoy the cider

Soldato
Except like most soft drinks nowadays it's full of sweeteners. Yuck. I can taste the difference between sweeteners and non-sweeteners pretty easily. Heck,, my girlfriend can smell the difference even with coke and diet coke!

If you want cheap tonic without sweeteners the cheapest is Waitrose Essentials. It's cheaper the Schweppes.

Man of Honour
Mix with Fever tree tonic, at a push Schweppes tonic. Big glass, double shot, lots of tonic, big ice.

With mixers, I guess that it comes down to personal preference or taste, I drink vodka and tonic, and the only tonic I’ll have is Schweppes, plus a reasonable amount if ice.
If Schweppes is unavailable, I’ll drink neat vodka just with ice.
I’ve been to parties where the vodka has run out, and I’ve switched to gin, but only if Schweppes tonic is available.
The unusual thing for me is that I eschew the wedge of citrus fruit with vodka and tonic, but I like a wedge of lime if I go on gin and tonic, no accounting for changes of taste I guess.
Gin is not, (to me), an unpleasant taste, but it doesn’t appeal as a neat drink, unlike bourbon, rye and Canadian whiskies, all of which I find excellent on their own, and occasionally with ice.

Back
Top Bottom