• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

New - 1GB 2900XT Released

flibby said:
Thing is with that though, is it's Canadian dollars I think, so 650 CA to USD is about 600, then giving that it's very hard to get ahold of at the moment and that the model in that link is pre-overclocked... I'm still thinking $500 - $525 (or £280 - £320). Be interesting to see what it does retail for though over here when it's available in masses :)
Its says CAD on my conversion, that's Canadian dollars. If you look around the US sites its a minimum of $110+tax over the 512Mb. Works out to roughly £320 after tax and we always pay more. Like I said, at least £330. GDDR4 is not cheap. Not so sure its pre-overclocked. I'm looking at four sites here, all say 825MHz, 1GB 2.1GHz, all about the same price.

Chipset: ATI RADEON HD 2900XT
Memory: 1024MB GDDR4
Engine clock: 825MHz
Memory clock: 2100MHz (1100MHz DDR)
Memory interface: 512-bit
Stream Processors: 320
Pixel Fillrate: N/A
Geometry Rate: N/A
Bus Interface: PCI Express x16
Crossfire Compatible: Yes

Last edited:
fornowagain said:
Not so sure its pre-overclocked. I'm looking at four sites here, all say 825MHz, 1GB 2.1GHz...
Hmm, could be right... Only reason I assumed a pre-overclocked version from that URL is due to their first paragraph in the description and the first sentence after that, saying something like "That means higher core and memory speeds", just seemed to imply that the card was overclocked :)

Yeah but already Nvidia are cutting prices on the 8800 ultra which coincides with the release of the 1 gb version.

Now imagine if the original 2900xt was on par with the 8800 GTX there would have been price drops galore. ( healthy competition is what we need here fan bois ! )

I always buy the card that is good for the games i play !

Tom|Nbk said:
You are, I just view your post's now and then to see if youve stopped spouting your usual BS and gibberish, or trying to bad mouth me some way :o , anyway as he said. Don't sidestep.

right then, although people say the 2900 is not supposed to be marketed towards the gtx, then it has a few short commings.

for a card thats supposed to compete with a 8800gts it shoudl also have a similar level of power consumption. that is what it clearly does not do. very inefficient architecture requiring more power than a gtx to deliver gts performance.

thats the main drawback of the 2900 and why its seen as being so crap. its power consumption and performance per watt ratio. if its power consumption had been at the same level as a gts then there is nothing to argue about since it can then be classed as a card which is on par with gts.

but for it to do that it needs to shed around 80w of power consumption.

Cyber-Mav said:
right then, although people say the 2900 is not supposed to be marketed towards the gtx, then it has a few short commings.

for a card thats supposed to compete with a 8800gts it shoudl also have a similar level of power consumption. that is what it clearly does not do. very inefficient architecture requiring more power than a gtx to deliver gts performance.

thats the main drawback of the 2900 and why its seen as being so crap. its power consumption and performance per watt ratio. if its power consumption had been at the same level as a gts then there is nothing to argue about since it can then be classed as a card which is on par with gts.

The 1900xtx consumed lots of power compared to the 7900 but that didnt stop people from buying it??

jaykay said:
The 1900xtx consumed lots of power compared to the 7900 but that didnt stop people from buying it??

yea, the high failure rate of the 79 series card is what boosted sales for ati.
even i bought my x1900xt after a failed 7900gs. nvidia were just a bunch of fools on the 79 series cards with thier alarmingly high failure rate.

Cyber-Mav said:

Utter rubbish!
The number1 priority for most gamers is its gaming performance.

Not really the power consumption that worries me so much, especially after reading the thread on power consumption that was posted here not long back, it's the price:performance ratio as currently, the performance of the 2900 XT compared to the price it costs (£250+) isn't worth it when you could get a 8800 GTS and save yourself £30. If it was £30 cheaper I think there'd be less for people to argue about.

Or that's my opinion anyway :P

flibby said:
Not really the power consumption that worries me so much, especially after reading the thread on power consumption that was posted here not long back, it's the price:performance ratio as currently, the performance of the 2900 XT compared to the price it costs (£250+) isn't worth it when you could get a 8800 GTS and save yourself £30. If it was £30 cheaper I think there'd be less for people to argue about.

Or that's my opinion anyway :P

same here, i know people who have opted for a 8600gt over a x1950pro just becuase they don;t want to spend 50 quid extra on a new psu to make sure it all works fine. and the guys im on about have standard pcs like dell's and hp's which come with ok psu's but not really up to tthe task of high power munching gfx cards.

Never ever built a games machine and wondered what power a card takes
to run each day month or year. Just want a good machine really. I think ati
have put this card a little more expensive than a gts 640 because they know
it will perform better than a 8800 gts 640 when drivers are optimised and also
when dx10 games are released. Also builtd all my pc's so i always have the
correct psu to go with the card i want to buy.

Last edited:
Cyber-Mav said:
same here, i know people who have opted for a 8600gt over a x1950pro just becuase they don;t want to spend 50 quid extra on a new psu to make sure it all works fine. and the guys im on about have standard pcs like dell's and hp's which come with ok psu's but not really up to tthe task of high power munching gfx cards.
People buyng because they are on a budget is a different matter.
There is always give & take you cant always have your cake & eat it.
The 2900xt is starting to look overall faster than a gts.

I have started to see a patten from you that every time the 2900xt does a little better over time & knocks down a hurdle that you put up as its main weakness, you move your focus to something else & then claim thats the main weakness.

Last edited:
Final8y said:
People buyng because they are on a budget is a different matter.
There is always give & take you cant always have your cake & eat it.
The 2900xt is starting to look overall faster than a gts.

I have started to see a patten from you that every time the 2900xt does a little better over time & knocks down a hurdle that you put up as its main weakness, you move your focus to something else & then claim thats the main weakness.

its main weakness has always been its power consumption and its crap performance compared it its specs. 320 stream processors vs 96 on the gts? i mean come on :rolleyes:

Cyber-Mav said:
its main weakness has always been its power consumption and its crap performance compared it its specs. 320 stream processors vs 96 on the gts? i mean come on :rolleyes:
We already know that but what really matters is what it shifts on screen and in that case its doing better than the gts.
You also must take into account that the stream processors are not the same for both cards so that apples & oranges.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom