• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

New 3080 and suddenly problems

Soldato
So I have had my 3080 for almost 2 weeks now and I have mostly played Watch dogs Legion on it.

My PC prior to installing the 3080 had a 1080 and things where rock solid.

Having switched to the 3080 tho I am definitely having issues.

My PSU is a Corsair RM 850x (850w) which I bough last March in preparation for the upgrade.

It's cabled in correctly as well using two separate rails to the PSU.

Almost every game session I crash or freeze and sometimes blue screen.

Last two weeks I have been playing Watch Dogs Legion and that has been the game I have experienced the most issues with. CTD and even blue screens.

I do have my ram overclocked using a profile from the dram calc. I've used this profile for a good year with absolutely no problems.

I played about half of Watch Dogs Legion and got fed up of the blue screens so blaming the game uninstalled it.

I installed Metro Exodus to play the DLC and about 4hrs in the screen froze. The pc was still on, no crash to desktop just a freeze.

This is better than the blue screens I was getting with Watch Dogs Legion.

It COULD be my ram as it's the only thing overclocked in the system.

I do have PBO turned on though using motherboard limits, scalar 2x and boost 500Mhz.

As a first step to fix my problems I have manually set the SOC voltage to 1.1v and VDDG to 1.1v as this is something that is mentioned in the Ryzen Master documentation.

I remember a few years back on my x370 I had to set the VDDG to get 3600MHz to work. But switching to an x570 board I've gamed on my ram profile without needing to fiddle with much other than just set the dram voltage for a good year now.

Cooling of my system should be good. I have a P400a which has great airflow plus right now it's freezing up in my room in the loft so the ambient temps are helping with temps.

So... either the 3080 has changed something in my system causing the ram to be unstable or I have a dodgy 3080. Or even the drivers are at fault.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Look like PSU is the issue, Corsair RM 850x did not supported single rail. About a week ago I read somewhere someone with AMD Ryzen CPU had same issues with RTX 3080 and Corsair HXi 750i PSU then hours later after someone posted suggested switch to single rail mode in iCUE software and the issue wass finally resolved with no more freezes and crashes. Guess RTX 3080 do not like PSUs with multi rails.

How is that the problem?

I mean I have two separate cables running from the PSU to the adapter that goes in the 3080 FE.

I'm pretty sure that's what your meant to do. :confused:

If I switch it to single rail, will I need to change the wiring?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
HXi750 has Adjustable Single/Multi 12V Rail Yes.

OCUK has HX850 claimed it has +12V Rail Switch: Gives the user the choice of a single +12V rail or multiple +12V rails.

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £177.49 (includes shipping: £10.50)
I googled HX850 product code found corsair link but it said Adjustable Single/Multi 12V Rail No so guess it mean no iCUE support but it has +12V Rail Switch on PSU.

KitGuru HX850 review showed +12V Rail Switch:

84w4GNg.jpg

https://www.kitguru.net/components/...ir-hx850-platinum-2017-power-supply-review/3/

Good spot mate.

However mine is an RM850x and it doesn't have such a switch.

Soldato
OP
I agree the most likely culprit here is the ram.

It's at 1.47v in bios (more like 1.48-1.5v observed voltage. It oscillates) plus heat from 3080 could be pushing it over the edge.

But I thought it was well tested by reviewers that the new FE design wasn't negatively affecting CPU / RAM temperatures.

Soldato
OP
Also on the subject of ram and over heating.

Lets imagine the issue is the ram over heating.

Those with say the 8 Pack 3600MHz CL14 ram sticks which are 1.45v out of the box surely they too would overheat if I bought them and used them in the same scenario I am running my current ram.

Or is it they are binned better for high voltages and ability to remain stable as the heat creeps up?

---

I guess I will find out what the issue is over the next few days as I will run my system at stock and even the ram at 2133MHz.

If it is stable, then the PSU/GPU are fine and the issue is with the ram.

If it still crashes then I have big problems and have either a faulty 3080 or the PSU is at fault.

But I bought this PSU back in March 2020 and it's been fine so far.

Soldato
OP
Wasn't it you and I that had the same RAM issues? COuld never get my 3600 to run at 3600 and it ran fine at 3577Mhz or whatever is the nevxt speed down. I put in MY 3080 and I do get the odd crash at the beginning. COuple of blue screens and a couple of reboots (oddly only when surfing). Flippin' annoying mate.

Probably, name rings bell.

My ram has been working fine for a good year if not more though, up until I installed the 3080. :(

Soldato
OP
HWInfo now has a handy voltage readout for each GPU power connector and the PCIE slot. Can you post a screenshot at idle and another one after the PC has been under gaming/graphics load e.g. 3DMark?

Here is a reading of the GPU section after PC has been booted up and is sitting idle.

Capture.png

I will post another in a bit after I game for a bit on completely stock settings.

Soldato
OP
Thanks, at idle your voltages look good from what I can see.

With every back to stock I just gamed for 3hrs with no crashes.

GPU felt sluggish though in Metro Exodus, but ram is down at 2133MHz currently so it could be down to that.

I need a few more game sessions before I can say the PC is stable and it is just the ram not being stable.

Below is a screenshot having just excited my gaming session.

Untitled.png

So tell me then if it is temperature related, how are people with the 8 Pack CL14 3600MHz ram going to fair?

Surely at 1.45v out of the box it is going to be unstable.

At the moment temperature conditions could not be better in my PC. It's winter, cold ambient temps and I have a case with good ariflow and I am having temperature related issues...

Leaves me a bit in no mans land if I choose to change my ram sticks as if I bought say the 8 pack CL14 3600MHz stuff, how do I know it wouldn't exhibit the same temperature issues?

Soldato
OP
I had to reduce my ram voltage as I experienced crashes after upgrade to a 3080 and the issue was my ram was overheating in games and causing errors and instability due to the heat output of the card, this was undetectable in memtest as the GPU isn't loaded so the ram stayed cooler.

Good to know.

Seems to be consistent with what I am experiencing.

Which 3080 did you get?

Soldato
OP
Very strange all in all though as all the reviewers of these cards all tested if the new airflow design of the FE cards would impact on ram/cpu temperates and they all said there was nothing to fear.

Our experiences seem to be the opposite.

Soldato
OP
Voltages still look fine, but I meant to leave HWInfo open while the game was running so we could see if there were any voltage drops under load.

With your RAM is there an XMP profile at 1.35V or lower and 3200MHz or something like that? You could try reducing RAM to 3200MHz, also try reducing the Infinity Fabric speed independently of the RAM and see if that's the problem. Samsung B-Die is notoriously sensitive to temperature, Micron E-Die like the Crucial Ballistix series (check whether all Crucial Ballistix is E-Die before buying) works well with Ryzen and is much less sensitive to temperature. Of course you won't be getting tight timings out if it, more like 3600MHz CL16 and anything above 3200MHz is technically overclocking and dependent on your CPU's memory controller and Infinity Fabric anyway.

I wonder whether the RTX 3080 using PCIE 4.0 on the CPU has pushed it over the edge and that's why the RAM is no longer stable at 3600MHz, otherwise it is a temperature issue.

I do have a DOCP 3200MHz profile on the ram which is at 1.35v but I need to run it at a minimum of 3600MHz as for me this is the minimum acceptable speed on Ryzen 3000 and up.

Luckily my ram is officially specced for 3600MHz CL16 as if says so on the team group website. The only issue is I have no DOCP profile for it.

Soldato
OP
OK, so it seems slackening the timings on my ram has done the trick.

Yesterday I ran the system with 2133MHz ram and today I luckily found one of my old CL16 3600MHz profiles at 1.35v and I have just had an extended gaming session with no issues.

So thank goodness it wasn't an issue with my PSU or GPU.

But does beg the question why the 3080 has affected my ram overclock.

Mostly heat or perhaps the ram overclock I had was never really stable (despite working for a year)

But all the reviewers of these cards addressed this concern and said there was nothing to fear and the cards where actually very efficient.

Makes me wonder as more of these cards get in to peoples hands if the faster ram kits at 1.45v will start to exhibit problems as well due to overheating.

This is also in a chilly room, mid winter in a very well ventilated case.

So best case scenario!

Back
Top Bottom