• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

New 3080 Installed. Yay! TW3 Restarting PC. Not yay

Associate
Wasn't saying that you have to permanently play at 60fps but setting a cap of 60 or 75fps reduces power draw on the psu and adds evidence of that being the issue. You can always increase the cap bit by bit to see how many fps you get before you crash. However, setting a cap in a badly programmed game that doesn't set a cap, in say cut scenes, can not only prevent crashes but stress on your gpu, [Updated] Amazon's New World Caps Menu Framerate To Fix Issues | TechRaptor

Soldato
OP
Probably doesn't like the sudden spikes consistently going up and down that comes with gaming

Still would have thought 750w gold and decent model would be enough unless it's lost something being the age it is

Guess you can return it for them to test it out but would be without PC to use while it's returned

That's exactly my point. I'm not saying that the PSU is not at fault, but it's not because 750W is insufficient. As you and others have suggested (and what the reddit etc. links suggest) is that it doesn't seem to like sudden spikes. Undervolting the GPU has gotten around this, and as long as it's safe, I'll continue like this until Seasonic are able to sort me out or when I know I have to buy a new PSU.

Soldato
OP
Wasn't saying that you have to permanently play at 60fps but setting a cap of 60 or 75fps reduces power draw on the psu and adds evidence of that being the issue. You can always increase the cap bit by bit to see how many fps you get before you crash. However, setting a cap in a badly programmed game that doesn't set a cap, in say cut scenes, can not only prevent crashes but stress on your gpu, [Updated] Amazon's New World Caps Menu Framerate To Fix Issues | TechRaptor

Yup, it's a simple way to reduce stress on the card, but it's less likely restrict spikes as it's too 'far away' from the hardware level. I'm not explaining that very well at all... restricting the voltage is closer to the underlying problem and so is more guaranteed way to limit these spikes.

Soldato
Everyone says PSU when I've been googling this, but I'm seeing Vray and Furmark consistently pull 100% power and usage with good temps and clocks. Nothing else has restarted the PC but TW3 and it happens 100% of the time within 1s of loading a save and entering the 3D game. Checking memtest now.

I rma'ed a focus platinum 850w with similar behaviour, fine on a steady high load but a non steady load like a game it would semi randomly shut off or shut down due to feback being sent back to the psu and or TR.

Reducing the power limit on my 3090 to 85% fixed it/work around soo I would do.similar as a first

Associate
I've undervolted it for now which has achieved more or less the same thing

Seasonic RMA is the most hassle free thing ever if you do it.

I sent back an 850 focus plus gold back last year and according to RMA log it was received at 9.30am and at 10am there was a newer model 850w shipped with tracking number.

Soldato
Can confirm that along with EVGA, Seasonic is the simplest and most hassle free RMA I've ever done.
Last year I sent my old 550w to them that had died in my daughters PC, they dispatched a replacement the same day and I had it in my hand the day after. Total turn around time was around 48 hours.

Soldato
OP
Can confirm that along with EVGA, Seasonic is the simplest and most hassle free RMA I've ever done.
Last year I sent my old 550w to them that had died in my daughters PC, they dispatched a replacement the same day and I had it in my hand the day after. Total turn around time was around 48 hours.

Seasonic RMA is the most hassle free thing ever if you do it.

I sent back an 850 focus plus gold back last year and according to RMA log it was received at 9.30am and at 10am there was a newer model 850w shipped with tracking number.

Thanks both. Thus far, I have been impressed. I emailed them yesterday with as transparent and detailed a message as I could and they have come back early this morning with a list of things to try. Given the suggested troubleshooting steps (most of which had been suggested already by you good folk) it's seems clear to me that they're aware of an issue and we're heading towards the RMA route. Those words have not been mentioned directly or indirectly, but I mean that the fact that they themselves are suggesting to undervolt the GPU as a test bodes well... Fingers crossed.

Soldato
I would just immediately go down the RMA route anyway in all honesty. The last thing you want playing on your mind is potential issues with the PSU when you have just dropped a chuck on some nice new hardware.

Even with the best of the best in terms of manufacturer there is always the potential for things to go really wrong especially when operating at the limits of its capability or hitting known issues that cause power downs, spikes or interruptions. Long term it just isnt worth the risk imo.

Soldato
OP
I would just immediately go down the RMA route anyway in all honesty. The last thing you want playing on your mind is potential issues with the PSU when you have just dropped a chuck on some nice new hardware.

Even with the best of the best in terms of manufacturer there is always the potential for things to go really wrong especially when operating at the limits of its capability or hitting known issues that cause power downs, spikes or interruptions. Long term it just isnt worth the risk imo.
Yeah I'm going down that route; I'm hoping Seasonic don't just say it's a problem with the game or the GPU. From their latest email, it sounds like replacing the PSU hinges on the results of this test:

1. Kindly try to do the following to see if we can "force" the issue:
    1. Download PRIME95 and Furmark
    2. Run Prime95 and Furmark at the same time.
    3. PRIME settings: Small FFT's on all cores
    4. Furmark settings: 1080p w/2x MSAA.
    5. With Furmark in the foreground, press the space bar every 2 or 3 seconds to make the donut disappear and reappear.
    6. Any issue?

As in my previous posts, I've already ran Furmark/V-ray along side Cinebench, and I couldn't once force the issue that way. The only surefire 100% 'success' way to force a complete shutdown was load a TW3 save at stock voltage. I hope that by doing their steps and not being able to force a crash doesn't make them say "PSU is fine, good luck...".

Soldato
I might be wrong wouldnt that test use power at constant rate without random spikes ? unlike games that can give random up and down in spikes ?

Soldato
OP
I might be wrong wouldnt that test use power at constant rate without random spikes ? unlike games that can give random up and down in spikes ?

That's what I think too, which is why I'm concerned Seasonic will see this not failing and not sort a replacement.

Caporegime
That's exactly my point. I'm not saying that the PSU is not at fault, but it's not because 750W is insufficient. As you and others have suggested (and what the reddit etc. links suggest) is that it doesn't seem to like sudden spikes. Undervolting the GPU has gotten around this, and as long as it's safe, I'll continue like this until Seasonic are able to sort me out or when I know I have to buy a new PSU.

There is nothing wrong with your PSU and Seasonic replacing is isn't going to fix it, the problem is 750 watts is not enough to feed mad silly watts spiking Nvidia Ampere graphics cards.

You need a higher output PSU or under-volt the GPU.

PS: just wait for the RTX 4080/90, you'll need a PSU measured in Killer-watts.

Soldato
OP
There is nothing wrong with your PSU and Seasonic replacing is isn't going to fix it, the problem is 750 watts is not enough to feed mad silly watts spiking Nvidia Ampere graphics cards.

You need a higher output PSU or under-volt the GPU.

PS: just wait for the RTX 4080/90, you'll need a PSU measured in Killer-watts.

I have no facts or educated counter argument, but I do not agree that 750W is insufficient for an RTX3080, especially a decent gold rated PSU like this seasonic.

Man of Honour
I have no facts or educated counter argument, but I do not agree that 750W is insufficient for an RTX3080, especially a decent gold rated PSU like this seasonic.

750 is borderline for a 3080, you can see here that in the worst case it spikes to 500 watts on a FE model (overclocked AIB can be worse):

https://www.igorslab.de/en/nvidia-g...-step-ahead-and-the-gravestone-for-turing/12/

Increasing the wattage gives you more headroom and it is less likely to trigger protections (which were set low on the original Focus models), that's why it works, but plenty of people run these cards on low wattage PSUs. The PSU quality level doesn't really help, I'd argue Seasonic actually handled these spikes appropriately by tripping the PSU, but all cards do it nowadays (RDNA 2 is just as bad).

Caporegime

All GPU's power spike, the 340 watts board power of the 3080 is just an average they can draw a lot more than that and Ampere has a particular problem with that with early ones blowing caps in the back of the card because of excessive power spiking.

The board power of AIB 3080's is around 400 watts and those are the ones that can spike past 600 watts causing even good 750 watt PSU's like your Seasonic to trigger amperage overload safety features.

Back
Top Bottom