New bed for the 7 year old?

Permabanned
Had similar style beds for both kids. Both fine. Wouldnt worry about wear and tear, we just replaced them with "normal" beds and they lasted maybe 3 or 4 years before outgrowing them.

They both enjoyed the beds while growing up, they are a ready made den. :p

Man of Honour
My son (seven year old too) wants one but there's no way I'd entertain the idea, he'd constantly jump off the damn thing and break something/end up in A&E.

I agree. I would have done the same at that age if I had a bed higher off the ground than I was tall, high enough to need a ladder to climb up to it. Why? Because it was there. Because I would have been playing at being a parachutist, a superhero, whatever. It would have happened. I'd probably not have injured myself seriously. Probably. But maybe not. 7 year olds are not generally great at being careful or planning ahead, so who knows how they'll land or what they'll land on or if they'll smack their head on the ceiling at the start of the jump because they didn't think it through before jumping, then land very badly as a result?

Also, how strong are the floors? Are floors generally rated for children dropping on them from a couple of metres, repeatedly? I don't know. Maybe they'll break their legs and the floor and get cut up as their legs go through the floor.

I think it's not worth the risks.

Associate
Josh Baskin, played by Tom Hanks got a beautiful woman into his bunkbed in 'Big', and he was only 13 at the time. Bunkbeds are clearly the way forward.

Back
Top Bottom