New Bike Time - KTM 1290 Superduke R Special Edition

Soldato
I've been having some issues with my CB1000R over the last year or so, it doesn't start reliably/consistently. I've had three different mechanics look at it at varying levels and they couldn't figure it out, so I decided, much as I love it, it's to move on.

I test rode a Ducati 899 a month or so back, but wasn't a fan of the riding position and it actually felt slower than my CB1R, definitely missed the torque. Even though it didn't feel as powerful, somehow it seemed to aggressive in trying to put the power down and jerked me back and forth all the time.

Then I struck on the idea of the Superduke. I remember the ads from a few years back at launch making me drool, so I booked in for a test ride, which I did yesterday. LOVED IT!

So much power and torque, yet so smooth and comfortable. The only negative, the suspension seemed rather stiff. I like it's got different modes for power, traction control too. I could feel (even on 'street' setting and I think I was in 3rd) the front wheel wanting to skip up, but the electronics holding the power to keep it on the road.

Over the weekend a friend showed me a shop up in Scotland doing the Special Edition for £3,000 off the list price! Amazing! But I wanted to trade in my bike, so not as simple.

It turns out all KTM dealers will do this deal, they just started at the top of the country and worked down, so the dealer with whom I test rode are getting there's within the next couple of days. They made a good offer on my bike (issues declared) so I dropped the deposit yesterday.

1290-super-duke-r-special-2.jpg
Please keep images to below 1280px wide or post in
tags like I've done for you above - Rilot
Picking out a few extras to have fitted like heated grips and SatNav mount and hopefully picking up next week! Can't wait!

I have some video to post, once I've done a little editing.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
It's basically had the powerparts catalogue thrown at it, plus the paintwork :D

And for £2,000 less than the standard version! (At the moment anyway)

Thanks for the comments all. I'm no test rider, or bike reviewer, but I like to throw together little video's of bikes I ride, so here's one from yesterdays test -

I'm sure I can do another vid when I get the SE :)

Soldato
OP
Exactly. That's why I love my CB1000R, the comfortable riding position, bought it to commute into town (London), weaving round the traffic was a breeze. The SDR doesn't seem that far from it, slightly more comfortable ride position perhaps, maybe not quite as sharp a turning circle, but my commute is easier these days :)

Sounds like I get more miles per tank too. The CB gets around 120, the SDR I hear does 170-200. Maybe the way I ride it wont get quite that much. We'll see.

Soldato
OP
It's okay, he has at least said it's his opinion rather than 'it looks &*$%'. Our opinions differ, that's all. The front of that Tuono looks wrong to me for one.

Maybe someone can help, I'm looking at what extras to add and I'm wondering about luggage. I've seen some pics of them with luggage (which is the one thing I miss from the tourers I rode before), I didn't think luggage would suit the CB1R, so never bothered, but I am wondering about it for the SDR.

Test-2014-KTM-1290-SuperDuke-R-static-Ascari.jpg

I don't think they look too bad fitted, but I wouldn't perhaps always have it fitted so would need to look discrete when just the frame. Anyone know? (unKle?)

Soldato
OP
I do have a 10L Kriega Tail Pack somewhere and currently use a 25L Kriega backpack and I think I would only do it if it still looked good on the bike (yes, vein I know). I did wonder about the official tank bag perhaps. I guess I prefer to ride without the backpack if I can. Maybe I'll just try and find my tail pack.

** EDIT ** I don't think I'll find my tail pack until I move house again. Is Kriega still the best one to get?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
So I pick the bike up tomorrow. I've had them put on heated grips and a SatNav mount. Over the weekend I've been stressing that the mount will stick out and look silly... so I called today and the guy sent me over a couple of picks (I really recommend these guys, very helpful - The KTM Centre, Hemel)

FullSizeRender_zpsl1wyun6x.jpg

FullSizeRender%201_zpsckbdz4gq.jpg

Now I realise almost everyone will say 'yep, looks silly', but I'm trying to balance practicality (I'm really bad at directions without a SatNav) and not ruining the look of a gorgeous bike.

Obviously tomorrow I can get some better pictures of the look of the whole bike but, what do you think?

Soldato
OP
Yeah, that's how I had it on my CB1R. There's a very good chance I'll have them do that for me when I go back for my 500 mile service. We'll see. Certainly it will be more visible where they've put it, not sure I need it that visible though tbh.

Soldato
OP
Yeah, I do that quite a lot with SatNav in the car (almost always have Google Maps on, for traffic as well as checking bend severity) which makes me think I could use it more on the bike in a decent visible position.

Soldato
OP
I think you're overestimating its influence on the speed I would take a corner at. I also think you're overestimating the speed I take corners at. Me personally anyway. I just like to know what's coming up.

Soldato
OP
I got an email from TomTom this morning, some of their gear on sale, so I thought I'd see what their bike option is at the moment. Made me chuckle a little bit when I read -

Portrait View

Simply rotate to portrait view to see more of the bends ahead, so you can prepare for your next turn.

Made me chuckle a little :)

Soldato
OP
It is funny because I can imagine some dumbass blindly following a sat nav and blaming his crash on it because he went left when the road bent to the right.

Agreed. But that's just natural selection.

Anyway, collected the bike this morning :) :D :)

Google wanted to stylise things...

20161018_094625-EFFECTS_zpsezws4plj.jpg

20161018_094633_zpshivqhpfg.jpg

20161018_102732_zpsvj6oudwj.jpg

Unfortunately it was a little wet on the ride over, which meant I was riding home through a lot of spray, I left it in Rain mode and the bike is a little dirty already... :( I think the afternoon looks nice, I'll perhaps wash it already and take a few detail shots with a decent camera.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I got the pen, not seen the sticker yet.

So, went to the gym on it, panicked the whole time I was in there as it wasn't locked to anything, then came home and gave it a quick sprinkle.

IMG_3608_zpsf17nxj28.jpg

IMG_3609_zpscb5c7ukv.jpg

IMG_3595_zpsufh9ub9b.jpg

IMG_3598_zpsikd0k7az.jpg

IMG_3599_zpseerfu70t.jpg

IMG_3604_zpswpdwhado.jpg

IMG_3606_zpsr7efnahj.jpg

IMG_3612_zpsu5t6zjt8.jpg

IMG_3614_zpswjzkxmex.jpg

At the minute I'm not minding the satnav mount. It doesn't stick out on the bike as much as I thought and is really well positioned when using it.

The insurance bump was a bit of a sting. 8 months left, I had paid around £320 for the year, had to oay £575 more! Will obviously shop around when due next. Strangly, I initially insured it with no immobiliser (I didn't know for sure it had one) and when I Called to add it, the price would come down £125, but my excess would leap from £500 to £2,000! I've left it for the minute.

Any thoughts on the best disc lock to get (I know they are only a minor deterrent) and perhaps a tracker?

Soldato
OP
"Make a video" they said...

'Sure', I thought, 'what could go wrong' I thought...

I'll finish putting a little something together later, but I couldn't do different angles and such, there's just not much space you can stick the GoPro that's flat in as big an area as you need.

Back
Top Bottom