New Build advice! Budget inside!

Associate
Hi Guys,

I've had my brother ask me about building his son a gaming pc hes 12-14 years old I do forget these things! Wants to play mainly rocket league and rainbow six siege if he has to turn the graphics down he has to turn the gfx down!

Hes got monitor and all peripherals in advance just requiring a rig that I will build myself with hopefully one of you genuises suggested parts list! Need the full kaboom, case and full parts, got keyboard, mouse, monitor and windows 10 product key!

I look forward to the responses his budget is on the £400 marker im aware its a little low but id rather ask you guys than let him go ahead buying some rubbish off ebay like hes been trying to do! Only a 240gb ssd is required if that helps gift more budget elsewhere!

Thanks in advance guys!

Soldato
You might have to shop about a bit, getting a few parts from OCUK, and a few parts from elsewhere, but you can put htis together, with a view of being able to drop in a faster CPU wiht more cores when the budget allows. Something like a second hand R5 2600, or similar.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 1200 3.1 GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-A320M-H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
Storage: ADATA SU630 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: Palit GeForce GTX 1660 Super 6 GB StormX Video Card
Case: Deepcool MATREXX 30 MicroATX Mini Tower Case
Power Supply: be quiet! System Power 9 500 W 80+ Bronze ATX Power Supply

Total: ~£424.

I know it is over budget, so you can always drop the graphics down to an RX 590, 1660 Super is faster and will last a bit longer however. You also get a game with the RX 590, which could be sold or played.

Case it just a cheap MATX one that can be substituted with something cheaper or better, or different, and the motherboard is pretty pants to be honest, but will do the job and if you have to replace it you aren't losing a lot in a couple of years.

No the most ideal build, but pretty good for a low spec.

My other option would be an OEM (Dell, HP etc.) with a new PSU, and a GPU slotted in there. i7 4790 based system, plus RX 590 and PSU would be about £400.

Soldato
Just as an aside, the above would run quite happily on a decent budget 400w PSU, the System Power 9 already suggested is a good option so a 400w version of that.

I'd recommend considering the second hand market for some components, for example you can get a 2600 (boxed with cooler, may need thermal paste) for around £80-90 if you look around.

Here's an idea that's a little more expensive:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £496.93 (includes shipping: £0.00)

1. The Asrock Pro4 has decent VRM's for a budget board, solid price for what it is.
2. The 2600 as mentioned before can be found for £80-90 second hand if you look, would shave £40-50 off the budget give or take, placing this build closer to £450.
3. Case is cheap as chips but honestly the budget is tight as hell.
4. The 1660S is a great card but on the budget I think the RX590 might be a better option
5. Same lineup of PSU's recommended by @Journey, they're solid budget solutions but you might want to shop around as OCUK has a pretty dire lineup of lower end PSU's at the moment. Here's a good link to use for reference: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40/ -- Anything B or above should be fine.
6. All of this is with an upgradable platform, the listed mobo is about on par with the likes of the MSI Mortar, so should he need a bump in performance down the line he could pick up an 3700X or 4700X.

You can find copies of Win 10 for a few quid on the bay, same place you can find cheap 2600's funnily enough.

I really would recommend stretching the budget, a little more would go a long way.

Last edited:
Soldato
There was a £2.72 difference, I though it might be more likely to last longer :D

For the price difference definitely go for the 500w! LOL

:D

Might save more looking around, really hoping OCUK get some decent budget stock in soon in relation to power supplies. Seems like they're trying to populate the entire segment with crap entry level Kolink stuff.

Soldato
Only 8gb of ram which will be fine for most games, especially as it's an APU build so settings will have to be turned down but it's a capable processor at 1080p - here's a few reviews for you:- https://www.techspot.com/review/1878-amd-ryzen-3400g/ and https://bit-tech.net/reviews/tech/cpus/amd-ryzen-5-3400g-review/8/

Unless you go second hand I think it's the best solution. It will allow for a processor and gpu upgrade later. You could add the price of 16gb of the same ram which might be a good idea as the motherboard only has 2 ram slots. Of course I could have gone for a full sized board but I've used and liked the Gigabyte board.

Total: £419.20 (includes shipping: £12.30)​

Or an Intel variant with discrete gpu that will perform better but is hamstrung to a degree by the cpu and the platform is dead. I wouldn't be buying Intel right now but the extra gpu horsepower might be worth it

Total: £479.23 (includes shipping: £12.30)​

Soldato
Just as a reference the above listed Gigabyte B450-I AORUS PRO WiFi is about on par with the Asrock B450M Pro 4, so it is a decent board but it's also more expensive than it by a fair margin. The MSI B450 Mortar MAX is slightly higher end while also being cheaper at around £90. All of the aforementioned boards are M-ATX.

Associate
OP
Thank you for all your feedback lads! My brothers a bit of a tight a** when it comes to buying things fair point mind not sure how much his son will actually use it but you guys have given some good starting points the ebay stuff hes looking at is intel 2600ks which are 2011 so pretty old with 1060 gfx cards in iv been trying to tell him look that stuffs really old mate!

Soldato
Definitely do not go for such old tech, yes he has a low budget but putting £400 into a sandy bridge setup as of 2019 is ******* money down the drain.

For £450 he could get a very modern setup with a solid upgrade path that will be a fantastic gaming PC for 1080p.

Associate
OP
Definitely do not go for such old tech, yes he has a low budget but putting £400 into a sandy bridge setup as of 2019 is ******* money down the drain.

For £450 he could get a very modern setup with a solid upgrade path that will be a fantastic gaming PC for 1080p.

Yeah I was thinking this myself well would you like to push the budget to £450 and suggest something to me? Any chance of a case with lighting too only minor lighting but I cant believe hes actually requested it! 1080p is all he will need to game at and as above just the games suggested if he opts to upgrade more at a later date thats on him, 16gb ram, and minimum 240gb ssd little bit more if budget permits but not essential! Go ahead for £450 and ill then take it to him!

Soldato
Yeah I was thinking this myself well would you like to push the budget to £450 and suggest something to me? Any chance of a case with lighting too only minor lighting but I cant believe hes actually requested it! 1080p is all he will need to game at and as above just the games suggested if he opts to upgrade more at a later date thats on him, 16gb ram, and minimum 240gb ssd little bit more if budget permits but not essential! Go ahead for £450 and ill then take it to him!

The build I've listed above can be built for around £450, you'd need to buy a second hand 2600 but the rest of it would be new. There's even a 15% off code available on the bay right now, should shave things down a little more. Might need to snipe an auction at worst, but I have seen buy it now options for around £80 over the past week or so. You could also check the likes of facebook market place for one, a lot of people upraded from the 2X00 chips to the 3000 series and are getting rid of them.

The priority should be getting good functional hardware, if he wants bling and flashing lights he might end up needing to spend more.

Maybe swap out the above listed case for this for a few quid more:

Total: £19.99 (includes shipping: £0.00)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Your all preaching to the choir here tbh! So for £444 i can get him the following...
BASKET
**B Grade** Gigabyte GA-A320M-S2H V2 AMD B350 (...
£51.95*

PowerColor Radeon RX 590 Red Dragon 8192MB GDDR...
£149.99*

Patriot Viper Steel 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600...
£58.99

Gigabyte 240GB SSD 2.5" SATA 6Gbps Solid S...
£25.99*

**B Grade** Kolink Aviator M RGB Micro-ATX Gami...
£19.99*

**B Grade** be quiet! System Power 9 500W 80 Pl...
£39.95*

AMD Ryzen 3 3200G Quad Core 4.0GHz (Socket AM4) £85.99*

Is this CPU 1st compatible and 2nd would it play the games he wants on a low setting if needed?

I hate building at such a strict low budget when I bought mine I was happy paying between 1000-1600 lol low budget hurts! :(

Soldato
Thats all in stock to order right now is all?

Having to spend £86 on a 3200G is painful to see, especially when it will limit the system so early on in its life. Maybe call OCUK and see if they have a cheaper CPU laying around? Like a 2300X or something else R3 1200, 1300X.. anything that can just be a cheap stop gap until you can drop i n a 2600

Associate
OP
Having to spend £86 on a 3200G is painful to see, especially when it will limit the system so early on in its life. Maybe call OCUK and see if they have a cheaper CPU laying around? Like a 2300X or something else R3 1200, 1300X.. anything that can just be a cheap stop gap until you can drop i n a 2600

So if i can get the build i said above with the 2600k around the 450 marker it'd be a no brainer right?

Soldato
So if i can get the build i said above with the 2600k around the 450 marker it'd be a no brainer right?

Yup.

The Ryzen 2600 is a solid chip.

It's a pain having to jump through hoops to narrow the budget down, but it's the best option for the price limitations.

I'm not sure about that mobo you have listed though, the Asrock B450M Pro 4 is definitely good for the price, I'd look into it a bit more as a number of the lower end Gigabyte motherboards for Ryzen have been poor. This is worth bookmarking:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/9uc6bi/am4_b450x470_vrm_tier_list/

Soldato
It's always worth getting in touch with OCUK if you see something in the clearance/b grade section you're interested in, they'll sometimes do a better price for you.

Back
Top Bottom