New Build Advice/Spec (Budget Inside!)

Soldato
Orb little bit of a problem? his computer seems fine playing most games, but when hes trying to play ARK its overheating, shutting itself off while like the power light and everything stays on but the display just goes black? think its just the graphics card getting too hot, also noticed the case has an extractor fan on the back but no fans inside to pull air into the case, should I order some to sit in this spot to get some cold air into the case?

and is there a reason its overheating just on this game particular?

vega chips do run hot , able to get him to run an overlay program to see GPU temps when gaming ?

handy guide here

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...king-undervolting-information-guide.18793012/

funn enough, undervolting vega chips gets the most of the chips, will allow it to run cooler and faster .

good airflow will always help , difference between fans and no fans can knock down component temps by 10c+ Front fan will supply GPU with fresh cool air as well as some positive pressure to stop dust build up inside the case

Associate
OP
vega chips do run hot , able to get him to run an overlay program to see GPU temps when gaming ?

handy guide here

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...king-undervolting-information-guide.18793012/

funn enough, undervolting vega chips gets the most of the chips, will allow it to run cooler and faster .

good airflow will always help , difference between fans and no fans can knock down component temps by 10c+ Front fan will supply GPU with fresh cool air as well as some positive pressure to stop dust build up inside the case

I've never tried to overclock so not sure what that link helps with haha, what overlay program would you recommend to check heat? I'll get him to run one tonight while gaming and see what ARK does before it overheats and hits him out, I'll also order some fans for the front of the case, as I imagine these will be needed regardless. I believe it can take 2 x 140mms on the front, and 2 x 120mms on the top, so shall I order 2 x 140mm for the front of the case to pull cold air in, then order 1 more 120mm for the back at the top of the case so the rear fan and back top are pulling air out?

the gfx card also has a slight amount of coil whine I assume this isn't a reason to send it back though?

Soldato
I've never tried to overclock so not sure what that link helps with haha, what overlay program would you recommend to check heat? I'll get him to run one tonight while gaming and see what ARK does before it overheats and hits him out, I'll also order some fans for the front of the case, as I imagine these will be needed regardless. I believe it can take 2 x 140mms on the front, and 2 x 120mms on the top, so shall I order 2 x 140mm for the front of the case to pull cold air in, then order 1 more 120mm for the back at the top of the case so the rear fan and back top are pulling air out?

the gfx card also has a slight amount of coil whine I assume this isn't a reason to send it back though?

all cards will have coil whine , if someone states their card doesn;t then get them to load Unigine valley at 720p and card will sing, then scream when you exit as it drives 400 fps .
easily why to cut down coil whine is running above program for a long period. All vendors normally do this very quickly to check for faults not not long enough - if it doesn't help and coil whine is quite loud for your liking then you can open RMA and explain you have tried running in the card for a little while .

above link will get the card to run cooler via less volts, vega runs more then it should really

Associate
OP
all cards will have coil whine , if someone states their card doesn;t then get them to load Unigine valley at 720p and card will sing, then scream when you exit as it drives 400 fps .
easily why to cut down coil whine is running above program for a long period. All vendors normally do this very quickly to check for faults not not long enough - if it doesn't help and coil whine is quite loud for your liking then you can open RMA and explain you have tried running in the card for a little while .

above link will get the card to run cooler via less volts, vega runs more then it should really

Think I should go with one of these...
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/phanteks-pwm-fan-hub-black-ca-009-pt.html#

due to the fact the mobo doesn't have many fan slots..
then stick 2 140mm fans on the front for pulling in air and 1 x 120mm top back to extract hot air with the one thats already attached to the case firstly before trying to mess around with voltage clocks of the graphics card?

any fans you would recommend or would just about any do the job?

hoping its just the GFX card thats getting too hot and not his CPU as its just using the standard ref cooler too so maybe just fresh air from 2 140s and 1 more helping extract may help this a lot?

Back
Top Bottom