New build flat - sooo cold

Tea Drinker
Don
Do you have an extract fan anywhere?
Do you have economy 7?

I'd change all the flat panels for oil filled and fit a modern storage heater if you have economy 7 if you don't then a large oil filled with boost.

Reflective sheets behind radiators
Heavy curtains
Check everywhere for draughts
If you have a particularly cold room keep the door shut

Caporegime
are you forever alone in your home ?

maybe the other people have the body head of others keeping their flats warm.

its cold to be forever alone and alienated

Associate
OP
What facing are the windows?

Our ground floor flat is east and west facing, so come winter we get minimal sun, and it makes quite a difference.

Are you window vents open? Might be worth closing them if so and getting a desiccant dehumidifier to deal with condensation. Desiccant ones heat the air and are quieter than the normal condenser models.

Dual aspect in the living room/kitchen so sun all day :)
Window vents are open but did try closed with not a lot of difference. Was worried about mould so opened them again!

Soldato
What you should do, is leave some ice cream out in a bowl over night; when that ghost comes out and starts eating it; bugger him hard and good.

That'll get rid of you cold problem.

NZB

NZB

Associate
Are you keeping your heating on a low temperature most of the day or letting the flat cool during the day?

This makes a surprising difference to my house, even having it only set to come on for an hour in the afternoon makes the house easier to keep warm in the evenings when i get back.

Associate
OP
Do you have an extract fan anywhere?
Do you have economy 7?

I'd change all the flat panels for oil filled and fit a modern storage heater if you have economy 7 if you don't then a large oil filled with boost.

Reflective sheets behind radiators
Heavy curtains
Check everywhere for draughts
If you have a particularly cold room keep the door shut

Yep economy 7 system already in place - one good thing for the storage heaters I suppose :/

Associate
OP
What you should do, is leave some ice cream out in a bowl over night; when that ghost comes out and starts eating it; bugger him hard and good.

That'll get rid of you cold problem.

I would ******** it hard and good in the **** with a ***** until it **** in a ***** if it meant my flat was nice and ******** warm.

Soldato
@ Lordsplodge
I wouldn't mind so much if I lived in a Ye Olde Mansion but expect different in a new build!

I used to live in a flat (built in the 1960's) that had storage heaters. Bane of my life. However we had heat coming from the floors below and walk had doors that closed and heavy curtains. That helped but some rooms were still cool in winter.

Just getting doors that close in my Ye Old Mansion (ok it's not that big) has been a fuss. Two centuries leads to door frames that aren't exactly square anymore!

Soldato
This makes a surprising difference to my house, even having it only set to come on for an hour in the afternoon makes the house easier to keep warm in the evenings when i get back.

I changed my standard dial thermostat (which I'm certain was faulty!) to a digital one, I can't remember the option, but it can come on several times an hour to keep topping the house up with heat. I wasn't keen on the boiler coming on and off 100's of times a day so just use it like a conventional thermostat (on or off depending on temperature) but take advantage of the 'timing zones'.

I can allow the temperature to fall in the night, but not below a certain amount, and then come on again by the time I have woken up and then switch off shortly after I leave for work but again not fall by a significant amount. There's a total of 6 separate 'events', much like there is on a boiler, but rather than timing when and how long the water/heating comes on for you can change the temperature you require.

I think the idea behind the mode where it comes on several times an hour is to counteract the time taken for a thermostat to notice a fall in the temperature and then effectively get the radiators warm again by which time temperature will have fallen further, so you stay in that optimal zone for longer rather than bouncing over & under the desired temperature.

Soldato
No cavity insulation or partially missing, dirty wall ties bridging cavity, concrete floor again no insulation.

What you need is a digital infra red temperature device, thermographic survey so you can identify the cold spots, walls, windows surrounds, floor, etc.
If place new 2005, then isn't it covered by NHBC warranty, should be 10 years?

Surprised you have storage heaters, so old fashion now, what's the other ground flat like for temperature, normal or cold like yours.

Last edited:
Associate
Are you drying your washing by hanging it up inside?

If there is a lot of moisture in the air it is difficult to warm up properly, and will feel colder.

Soldato
My new build home is only 3 and a bit years old. I have electric panel type heaters as well. It's because it's cheap when they're building them, and saves them putting in main gas.

I can't afford to have the heating on for long periods of time, it's only ever on if I'm here. Thankfully they warm up in less than 10 mins and start chucking out the heat.

I only put it on when I've tried to get warm under a blanket and it hasn't worked.

Soldato
They are inefficient & should scrapped, & banned from sale & in new builds.
Your probably not old enough to remember electric ceiling heating from the 70's, that was another abomination, thank god that died out.

A colleague's house has this. I asked him if was sure he had heating/radiators in the ceiling!

If I had electric heaters I'd focus on making the property as air tight as possible (accounting for condensation and standard airflow)

Soldato
Seen some new builds a while back that had electric underfloor heating, apparently it would cost around 0.6p per m² per hour to heat.

Certainly more efficient than storage heaters.

Soldato
I turned my storage heaters off. What you need is convection heaters or the old water central heating.

Get one of these for each room. Honeywell HZ-821E or similar.

How efficient are those on electricity usage.

Our flat is an old converted warehouse and the bedrooms get absolutely freezing in winter. Currently have electric radiators but they cost so much to run that I'm always cautious about using them.

Its horrible having to think about if you can afford the bill before using the heating.

Back
Top Bottom