New build not even POST'ing :(

Associate
I've just got all the bits for my new build finally, and it's not working :( :( :( :(

MSI Neo2 Platinum

Athlon 3700+ San Diego 939 Retail

I've managed to hook up the D Bracket which is showing 4 red lights - meaning processor error.

What do I do??
This processor cost me loads, I don't have any other 939 processors to test with it, and it took ages to get the heatsink installed anyway.

OMG Please help!

Associate
OP
ok.

i have to add that the board comes on fine, all fans are working (no graphics card or ram in atm) but i will try and put the CPU in.

i was thinking maybe the bios cant handle my new chip and need to be updated?

how would i do that though?

Associate
OP
i put the ram and gfx card in at first, had nothing on monitor, so put d bracket it - received processor error.

so i then removed all non essential parts, now im just down to processor and its giving the same error.

im having trouble getting the retail heatsink off - any tips?

Associate
OP
ok i have got the processor out.

when i took the heatsink off the processor came out stuck to it (with the thermal pad) and i hadnt undone the clip in the socket - it just came out anyway.

i have looked at the processor and i cannot see any damaged or bent pins at all.

n3x

n3x

Associate
hmm, so the cpu came out with having to unclip the thing that holds the cpu in?? are u sure it was down securely? the cpu should be locked in place so shouldnt have come out!

Associate
OP
ive tried putting it back in and running it again - still receiving the error.

for these tests i just rested the heatsink on there as it was only on for a couple of seconds.

the cpu did feel lukewarm (not cold) so power must be going through it alright.

i fear its the bios issue, but how can i check what bios i have and whether it supports the chip?

Associate
n3x said:
hmm, so the cpu came out with having to unclip the thing that holds the cpu in?? are u sure it was down securely? the cpu should be locked in place so shouldnt have come out!

Yes indeed! When you reinserted CPU did you check that it was being gripped by the socket once the lever was thrown (i.e.before the heatsink was put on)?

--
Bryn

Soldato
Make sure you clip the proc down like they say. It wont be a bios issue (i think) as the system would still post. Also, it needs to post in order for you to upgrade the bios. Is the heatsink + fan plugged into the cpu fan socket?

Associate
OP
A random name said:
I think you need to update the firmware on your motherboard so support the 3700 core.

This is what I think is the issue.

If not that, then faulty board but I bought it off ebay and trust the seller when he said he only used it once from new to run some benchmark tests for a review website he works for.

I have a friend with a 939 setup, that hopefully we can test the processor in, and then maybe find a way to update the BIOS/Firmware on my board (if thats the issue).

Soldato
have you checked all the obvious stuff like Bios jumper is in the normal position etc.
How much memory you using and is it 1 stick or 2? If I remember correctly with this board you can only use one stick of memory to update the bios for later CPU's then once updated you can add more.

Soldato
norbie said:
This is what I think is the issue.

If not that, then faulty board but I bought it off ebay and trust the seller when he said he only used it once from new to run some benchmark tests for a review website he works for.

I have a friend with a 939 setup, that hopefully we can test the processor in, and then maybe find a way to update the BIOS/Firmware on my board (if thats the issue).

Sorry to be pessimistic here, but it won't post......It's an MSI.....it was bought of Ebay.........

I would say it's the mobo. :(

Associate
OP
Damn :(

This is the second motherboard I've tried to use now.

I'll defo will be buying brand new next time.

All the fans come on though which is a strange thing (I mean the mobo fans, gcard fan , processor fan etc).

I'll try another processor, if it's the board I will have to try and RMA it to MSI - How can I do that easily?
They never replied to a previous question I emailed them.

Back
Top Bottom