New build not even POST'ing :(

Associate
OP
I tried another PSU = no difference.

BUT then I switched over the clear CMOS jumper, nothing happened, switched it back over... TADA!! :D

It now goes through all stages on the D Bracket and stops at Video card error (I don't have it installed yet). It's way past the processor checks though so I reckon it's all fixed :D

Thanks so much for everyone's help!

Soldato
norbie said:
I tried another PSU = no difference.

BUT then I switched over the clear CMOS jumper, nothing happened, switched it back over... TADA!! :D

It now goes through all stages on the D Bracket and stops at Video card error (I don't have it installed yet). It's way past the processor checks though so I reckon it's all fixed :D

Thanks so much for everyone's help!

Well done mate, looks like you have it sorted. :D

Perhaps previous owner had, had the bios set to some extreme settings as he had been testing it out.

Associate
OP
I think that was the case :)

All seems to be fine now, I put the video card in and it successfully POST'd and I was able to enter the BIOS and enable optimised defaults :)

I seem to have almost the latest version of the BIOS anyway - thank goodness it all works!

I will try to install Windows later, then order a 2GB kit of RAM.

Oh BTW, because I was messing around with the processor, the retail grease pad on the heatsink/processor is pretty much gone, should I buy some artic silver type stuff?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
It's doing it again!

The board won't boot now even though it's been working fine for days.
D-Bracket says Processor Error, and resetting the CMOS doesn't seem to fix it :(

What can be wrong? Is my board faulty?

Soldato
When you clear the cmos do you actually unplug the power lead to the tower?

I would as a last ditch effort.....

Unplug the power lead, clear the cmos jumper, even take out the battery if you wish, leave for an hour or so. Connect all back up with jumper back in position etc. and retry.

Also as a previous poster said, may be worth posting in the big thread on this mobo in the hope someone else has come across it before.

Good luck!

Associate
OP
Thanks, I've taken out the battery for a while.
I didn't take out the power lead before, but the tower is completely disconnected now, I'm using a substitute PC for now.

I'll post in that other thread too.

Associate
OP
Well taking the battery didn't solve anything, I've tried plenty of times to reset the CMOS and everything, can't think of anything else to do.

Soldato
norbie said:
Well taking the battery didn't solve anything, I've tried plenty of times to reset the CMOS and everything, can't think of anything else to do.

See if anyone gets back to you in the other thread but what I would do next is (last resort measures):

Leave disconnected and battery out over night.

If still a no go, pull PC apart and rebuild out of case on a table or such using minimum components necessary and refit the cpu/ hsf also.

As this is the second time this has happened though its not looking good. :(

EDIT: In the other thread also post up all your system spec, PSU/ RAM etc. etc. as it may help someone diagnose the problem.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Board is completely broken now wont even turn on.

I've bought a new Gigabyte PCI-X board with a new graphics card.

Is there anything I can do about this faulty MSI board?

n3x

n3x

Associate
just out of interest did u try powering up without the cpu in? I havnt tried before but im assuming the mobo would try to post and then say processor error? Actually it sounds to me like the boards not holding u'r cpu in securely! or its in fact your cpu thats at fault perhaps? I guess u'll find out soon enough.

Good luck ;)

Associate
OP
I guess I will!

If the board is fine then I can sell it on, if the processor is dead I will be marjorly p****d off!! (It's the most expensive component!)

Back
Top Bottom