Asus GeForce GTX 480 1536MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card with Far Cry 2
XFX Pro 650W Core Edition Power Supply
Zalman Z9 Plus Tower Case With Fan Cooler
Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB SATA-II 32MB Cache
OcUK 24x DVD±RW SATA ReWriter (Black)
OCZ Special OPS 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C8 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit
OcUK Value 300Mbps Wireless-N PCI Adapter
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

Everything went well and I got it up and running. Installed Windows 7 when prompted, and it started up perfectly.

However, I'm noticing that it's a bit "jerky". It can be seen on things like simply opening a new tab in Chrome, it stutters as it slides across. And also when opening up say My Computer it seems to stutter, only for a split second but it is definitely noticeable.

Any idea why it might be doing this?

Soldato
Are you running your RAM at spec? I noticed with some memory ratios Core 2 systems can appear to be laggy/stuttery when the memory isn't set up right. Might be just a placebo because I've always found AMD based systems smoother in general Windows usage and even in some games.

Also run a benchmark or two and compare them with results from others with similar gear

Edit: Get the trial of HDTune and have a look at the SMART data from your drive... Just had two of my 3 500gb F3s develop a spin up time problem in the last week, both rma'd :( Just a thought

Last edited:
Associate
Had exactly the same issue last night with a phenom II build i was doing for someone.

I checked that the memory was running at correct settings and also removed all the gigabyte easytune/ autogreen etc utilities and it sorted itself out.

Can't gurantee either of those things were the culprit could just as easily have been fixed by a windows update that happened in the background.

E-I

Associate
OP
Are you running your RAM at spec? I noticed with some memory ratios Core 2 systems can appear to be laggy/stuttery when the memory isn't set up right. Might be just a placebo because I've always found AMD based systems smoother in general Windows usage and even in some games.

Also run a benchmark or two and compare them with results from others with similar gear

Edit: Get the trial of HDTune and have a look at the SMART data from your drive... Just had two of my 3 500gb F3s develop a spin up time problem in the last week, both rma'd :( Just a thought

I haven't changed any settings so could well be that.
Would I do this in the BIOS? And what settings should I have them at?
Sorry never built own PC before so not up to scratch on setting it up.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Had exactly the same issue last night with a phenom II build i was doing for someone.

I checked that the memory was running at correct settings and also removed all the gigabyte easytune/ autogreen etc utilities and it sorted itself out.

Can't gurantee either of those things were the culprit could just as easily have been fixed by a windows update that happened in the background.

E-I

It installed something like that where I could change a load of settings so I'll try removing that and see if it helps, although I think it was playing up vefore I had installed it.

When you say you checked the memory settings, did you have to change anything?

Soldato
No idea about SB systems tbh, the motherboard may default to 1333 for the memory or some such. Have a look in bios to set the settings for your RAM to the specification they run at, or by SPD. might be barkin up the wrong tree altogether though :)

Associate
OP
I can't seem to get into the bios :/ Every time it starts up it shows the Asus logo with underneath it saying to press delete to enter the bios, so i do, then it goes to a screen saying some information about the system for a split second then just boots up windows automatically.

Associate
OP
Tried hammering the delete key just now, and it just gives me the Windows Boot Manager, where I can either choose to boot Windows 7 or use the Windows Memory Diagnostic....

Associate
OP
It wouldn't matter which order I installed the drivers would it? Like I think I installed the graphics card drivers before the CPU drivers.

Associate
OP
I installed the drivers that came on the CD that came with it. If I download the latest BIOS from the Asus website do I only download the latest one(P8P67 1305 BIOS)? Or all of them (4 previous ones).?

Associate
Well you have a few options not sure if you got software on your motherboard to do it for you asus do normally have some sort of utility to do it,but most ppl use a usb pen drive formatted and plug that in and use the bios to install of the pen drive,I'm sure someone will come along and tell you if you can use software that came with your motherboard.

Associate
OP
Used a program called CPU Z to check my settings, apparently my RAM has a DRAM Frequency of 668.9 MHz This is wrong isn't it?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom