New build, suggestions?

Associate
I'm planning on building a computer in the next few months that I can scale up when I have the cash. Here's the spec so far, just wondering if anyone had any changes/suggestions before I start ordering parts.

Also I'll put what I intend to upgrade to when I have the money

CPU: i7-2600k
MOBO: ASUS P8P67 WS Revolution
RAM: G.Skill RipJaw 8gb, 1600mhz - upgrade to something 2100mhz
GPU: XFX HD 6870 Dual Fan 1gb CFX - upgrade either GTX 590 or AMD 6990
HDD: WD Caviar Blue 750gb SATA III - Will add an SSD
PSU: XFX 850w - upgrade to Corsair 1200w pro series
Case: Sharkoon Scorpio 2000 - upgrade to NZXT Phantom
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212+ (probably) - upgrade to Noctua NH-D14

P.S Hello everyone, this is my first post :)

Soldato
i would recommend saving up all the money and buying all the parts in one go, this way you get more performance/longevity out of your money.

come back few days before you buy the whole lot, as prices will change and new items added to the website.

out of curiosity, whats your current spec as i can see "upgrade to" for everything except mobo/cpu.

Associate
OP
A complete mess really, how so? The idea was get what I need then budget the rest, and replace it when I can afford to. The only thing I was on the fence about is just buying the 1200w PSU even though it would be overkill, and just getting the better case to begin with.

But anyway, the budget is around £950.

Oh and Jony27, I won't be in a position to buy everything at once. And there's no point in me posting my spec, I'm currently running a extremely low end computer from the 90's (seriously) ever since my old computer broke like 3 years ago.

Caporegime
Well you need to state the use of this?

For example a i5 2500k makes a much cheaper gaming cpu.

The ASUS WS motherboard you have selected it's hugely expensive and I doubt you need the features it has, a £100 motherboard might do you just fine.

Buying 1600mhz ram to then upgrade to pointless faster ram which others no benefit for a sandybridge CPU.

Money saved to be used else where.

Associate
OP
Oh yeah sorry about that I forget to mention what it was for. I will mostly be using the computer for gaming, and to be honest an i5 would do just fine but I want an i7. Also this is supposed to be a "future proof" computer which is why I want both the i7 and the motherboard because unless I'm wrong it runs SLI/CFX at x16/x16 and I intend at some point to get 2 GTX 590's or AMD 6990's.

And yeah I realised there's very little point in upgrading the RAM, I intended to get some cheap 1333mhz RAM but I saw that G.Skill on offer on the site today and ordered it.

Caporegime
A few truths for you,

A i5 2500k is as fast in gaming than a i7 2600k, hyperthreading doesn't help.

16x/16x isn't any better than 8x/8x, hardocp has done tests to show this.

1600mhz ram is perfect for sandybridge.

Associate
OP
I know the i5 performs just as well as far as gaming, but I may also be doing some encoding in the future which I believe the i7 is better at? Also like I said I just want an i7, no real rational reason just because I'm an idiot.

Is x16x16 really no better? I thought it was something like 5-10% better performance, which I know wouldn't make that much difference but I figured if I was going to go all out on GPU's I might as well get the best performance I can. But if it makes no difference, what Motherboard would you suggest? P8P67 Pro/Deluxe maybe? (I really like ASUS).

And yeah like I said, I think I'll stick with 1600mhz on the RAM.

Oh, thanks for your help by the way :)

Soldato
if you want future proof then this is what you want, though from what I've read there's no real difference between x8/x8 and x16/x16

case/psu/cooler http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=BU-042-OP&groupid=701&catid=7&subcat=

instead of the 590/6990 you'll be better off getting one/more of the the newer graphics card which will be out by the time you have money for the 2x590/6990(if can even find them in stock).

hdd I would say 1tb samsung f3 would be better

don't you need an os or soundcard?

graphics card I would say 2x this will see you through for a few years, can add a 3rd if you desire at a later date.

Associate
OP
and 2xGTX590/HD6990 are waste of money and pointless, theyre loud and hot.

I'm not intending on throwing 2 in anytime soon but I figured somewhere down the line when 1 of 'em isn't quite cutting it anymore it may be cheaper to go for a second than a newer card as far as price/performance goes. I guess I should have said that's more of a wait and see than set in stone.

Soldato
if you can live without the x16/x16 then this, this or its bigger brother tho with the gigabytes you need to flash the bios update to get the gen3 update where's the asrock comes out of the box.

if you insist on asus go for the z68 versions(p8z68-v pro should do unless you need the features the dlx offers), the asus ones aren't future proof for pci-3.0 and will require a mb upgrade if you decide to upgrade to a pci-3.0 graphics card

Last edited:
Associate
OP
if you can live without the x16/x16 then this, this or its bigger brother tho with the gigabytes you need to flash the bios update to get the gen3 update where's the asrock comes out of the box.

if you insist on asus go for the z68 versions(p8z68-v pro should do unless you need the features the dlx offers), the asus ones aren't future proof for pci-3.0 and will require a mb upgrade if you decide to upgrade to a pci-3.0 graphics card

Nah, it doesn't have to be Asus I just like 'em. But that Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 is looking pretty good to me think I might go for that.

Back
Top Bottom