New build

Associate
My boy has been busily saving up and is now ready to buy the parts for his next pc.

Before he pulls the trigger, can someone please look over this basket and suggest improvements? He's currently using a GTX970 and will be upgrading that later.

My basket at https://www.overclockers.co.uk]Overclockers UK[/url]:
Total: £573.00 (includes shipping: £14.10)​
[/url]​

Associate
OP
Ahh the x470 motherboard is pre-order only.

Should I go back to the B350 or is there a better one available in the same price range?

(Edit) My boy also said he didn't like the look of the case. I'm assuming there wouldn't be a problem going with this one instead? https://www.overclockers.co.uk/aero...e-midi-tower-gaming-case-black-ca-201-ae.html

(Another Edit) He now prefers the look of this case: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/kolink-vault-midi-tower-gaming-case-black-blue-led-ca-020-kk.html

Last edited:
Associate
OP
@orbitalwalsh Sorry to keep coming back to you...

Did you drop to the older Ryzen 5 chip due to budget, or is it a better chip for the AB350 motherboard? The boy has set his heart on the Kolink case for £42.95, so that frees up a little of the budget to go with the new R5 chip if it makes sense to do that

I noticed you also switched to the PSU suggested by @EsaT . I assume that's the 'better; PSU, even though it's listed as gold rather than platinum?

Associate
OP
The budget is £570 excluding shipping, no OS or GPU required for now. If it creeps over by a few quid I can cover it though.

The latest version of the basket I've got is:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £509.97 (includes shipping: £11.10)​

The only thing left to sort now is the case. From talking to him last night, his only requirement is that it looks 'cool' with blue LEDs. I obviously want him to get the best quality he can for his budget preferably with a couple of fans and removable dust filters. I'll work my way through all the listings and see what I can find that might suit us both

Associate
OP
So we're now looking at this, with £30 left over on the budget.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £538.82 (includes shipping: £0.00)​

It's a real shame the x470 board is out of stock or I'd have persuaded him to go £10 over to get it

Associate
OP
After more discussion with the boy child, he decided against waiting for the Aorus board to come back into stock and we've gone ahead with the AB350 board.

Thanks for your help everyone... and stand by for a new thread where I start asking for help with the build! (I'm going to oversee him doing it himself, but I haven't actually put a pc together for about a decade)

Associate
OP
I came home from work this evening to find the boy is already well on the way to putting this machine together - PSU in the case, processor and fan assembly plus ram installed on the motherboard.

He just needs to install the board in the case, add the SSD and see if it boots up or needs a bios flash now!

Associate
OP
Thanks for the tip with the ram. Just checked on the board and it looks like the slots are numbered (from the fan) 4-2-3-1 whilst alternating black-red-black-red, so that would be one chip in the 1st black slot, and the other in the 2nd red? I would have thought it would be both black slots, then both reds when he buys more.

Also noticed we didn't buy an SSD mounting bracket and the case only has 3.5" bays, so that's going to be fun

Associate
OP
... and we're back to square one. It would appear that the fan assemble got installed the wrong way around, so the little bump on it is ever so slightly blocking the first RAM slot. Unscrewing and rotating the fan led to the back plate coming off the motherboard so that has to be unscrewed from the case too

Associate
OP
The motherboard manual isn't exactly clear, but I eventually found a table that shows when using two sticks of ram you can go either both red or both black

Associate
OP
Getting close now, but looks like the boy has had enough of fiddling with cables for now.

Next holdup is that the case has 3 fans with molex connectors, but the psu only has 2 molex cables. I'm assuming it's possible to pick up an adapter to convert one of the multitude of sata power connections into an additional molex?

Associate
OP
PC is now all put together, but when it's turned on we just get the fans powered up and lots of red lights on the motherboard.

MB1.jpg
[/url]
mb2.jpg
[/url]
mb3.jpg
[/url]

I'm guessing that means we're going to need to flash the bios somehow?

Associate
OP
Just came up with another possible option - find the cheapest 2nd hand AMD chip that's supported by the MB and use that to flash the bios ourselves.
That sounds a bit risky though so I think I'll dig out the details for gigabyte and drop them an email about sending the board over to them.

Shame though, the boy did a pretty good job with the cable management, although you can't really tell from those pictures

Associate
OP
I've told the boy to drop Gigabyte an email with a short explanation and asking them to help. I really want him to feel like this is his project, rather than him helping me put it together for him

Associate
OP
It's been a while but here's an update...

After leaving the RMA process in my son's hands for a little over a month and seemingly getting nowhere, I took over.

Two emails later, we have an RMA number from gigabyte. All we need to do now is print out the form, box up the board and send it back for a bios update.
They've advised that we can leave the processor connected to the board when we return it, which would give them the opportunity to check that the new bios actually works with it, and it won't add much to the postage costs weight wise

Back
Top Bottom