New car for PMKeates time

[TW]Fox;18685991 said:
DOING IT RIGHT: Getting BMW to pay when it breaks.

I thought these extended warranties weren't worth the paper their written on. I seem to recall you mentioning similar thoughts/experiences with the extended warranty on your Parents' 5?

I thought these extended warranties weren't worth the paper their written on. I seem to recall you mentioning similar thoughts/experiences with the extended warranty on your Parents' 5?

His parents warranty was a 3rd party warranty supplied by a private car dealer, it was not a BMW warranty if I recall. Hence the warnings are based on some very real experience.

Last edited:

The BMW Warranty is worth the paper its written on. Aftermarket ones can prove more troublesome. My experiences with aftermarket warranty companies have been quite mixed, but on the whole negative.

As a result its changed the way I plan to buy cars.

[TW]Fox;18686133 said:
The BMW Warranty is worth the paper its written on. Aftermarket ones can prove more troublesome. My experiences with aftermarket warranty companies have been quite mixed, but on the whole negative.

As a result its changed the way I plan to buy cars.

Are warranty wise and warranty direct one of the better ones?

I'd always been of the opinion that a car is something you buy enough of that you win overall being your own warranty? Unless you grenade 3 motors in valuable ish cars, which would probably down to your driving and maintenance. They shouldn't be able to land you with a bill you just cannot pay, unless you're living beyond your means.

If you don't understand cars or don't want to pay attention to yours, then I could understand the justification for a 3rd party warranty.

I'd always been of the opinion that a car is something you buy enough of that you win overall being your own warranty? Unless you grenade 3 motors in valuable ish cars, which would probably down to your driving and maintenance.

Thats fine with older stuff - but stuff like a 535d are simply hugely complicated. Plus many parts are coded to the car - only the dealer can do this, and the cost of this alone is expensive enough.

They shouldn't be able to land you with a bill you just cannot pay, unless you're living beyond your means.

There is a difference between cannot pay and do not want to pay.

We've all done the DIY warranty things - both PMKEates and myself on 5 Series - but really those days are over now, the cars are just too complex for their own good. The only answer is either dont buy them, or make sure you are covered.

It's the same on even a rental spec punto though, albeit less total devices doing less functions. I suspect it's more down to BMWs pricing than the complexity of the car, because its just networked computers doing various other I/O. Though mechanics who can really work with them are rare.

I would rather be slightly more wealthy between breakdowns than not be interrupted at all by them. But then I am more of a saver than a "creditee".

I just hope we start going the way America are threatening to and stop with the diagnostic computer, there's no reason the car can't do it, allowing independent garages to operate.

It's the same on even a rental spec punto though, albeit less total devices doing less functions. I suspect it's more down to BMWs pricing than the complexity of the car, because its just networked computers doing various other I/O. Though mechanics who can really work with them are rare.

I would rather be slightly more wealthy between breakdowns than not be interrupted at all by them. But then I am more of a saver than a "creditee".

I just hope we start going the way America are threatening to and stop with the diagnostic computer, there's no reason the car can't do it, allowing independent garages to operate.
Utter drivel. Independent garages just need to adapt, and they will, to work with the electronics. As computers become more widespread so will the understanding of them and people able to work with them.

My independent had two Enzos on the ramps last time I was there, they seemed to be coping OK.

Back
Top Bottom