New car time - EV PCP deals?

Soldato
OP
Hang on, you moved to a new job and lose your salary sacrifice scheme but you took a new job, didn't you get a decent pay rise when moving to a new job? Would this not outweigh the extra required for a reasonable swap of cars? Maybe not a Tesla but even so something?

Can't say I am surprised though with the current prices. I was hoping to PCP a tesla for much less then I did recently!!
Nope, no pay rise. It's a side step really. So financially I'm worse off in the short term, but where I am is not healthy for me at times. Long story. It was a very hard choice to make, but I hope I've made the right one...

Associate
Nope, no pay rise. It's a side step really. So financially I'm worse off in the short term, but where I am is not healthy for me at times. Long story. It was a very hard choice to make, but I hope I've made the right one...
I guess it depends on the prospects at the new place but having a Tesla at 350 quid a month was a bargain, that must have been hard to give up.

Although I tend not to move jobs unless I get a pay rise. I am sure you had your reasons so I accept that. I also wanted a Tesla for a fun time at least for a couple of years, it does mean I will have to wait now for at least 2 years before we move house all because of a car I really wanted. I got major buyers remorse when I PCP'd it!

Soldato
OP
I guess it depends on the prospects at the new place but having a Tesla at 350 quid a month was a bargain, that must have been hard to give up.

Although I tend not to move jobs unless I get a pay rise. I am sure you had your reasons so I accept that. I also wanted a Tesla for a fun time at least for a couple of years, it does mean I will have to wait now for at least 2 years before we move house all because of a car I really wanted. I got major buyers remorse when I PCP'd it!
I'll obviously not post details all over the Internet, but yeah, I weighed up a lot of options. I'm leaving a lot of good people and friends here, but the department has been without a network manager for three years and we're not being listened to - feel very much like a pawn in a system where the only ones that suffer are my team and the students. Finally had enough and a job came up nearby that's closer to home, will allow new skills, and will have career progression options. Long term potential benefits, but alas, sacrifices are to be made now.

Associate
Would the new place not consider a salary sacrifice scheme if you bought it up with them?

It's worth an ask I guess, suppose it depends on the company. I am very surprised these days most companies dont offer this already

Soldato
OP
Would the new place not consider a salary sacrifice scheme if you bought it up with them?

It's worth an ask I guess, suppose it depends on the company. I am very surprised these days most companies dont offer this already
Already been there. I don't know details as to why not, but they don't offer it unfortunately. It would have been tremendously easier had they done so, but even if they turned round now and said "actually, it's easy, we're on it now", it's too late, as I have less than 9 months left on it now :(

Soldato
So you haven't even started the new job yet and you're trying to lock yourself into a long term rental (PCP ;)) deal.

If so, that's a monumentally stupid idea.

Start the job, make sure you have a semi economical cheap runaround as some have recommended already.

Then see how the job goes before you tie yourself into a PCP deal where you're in heavy negative equity as soon as you get the car!

Associate
So you haven't even started the new job yet and you're trying to lock yourself into a long term rental (PCP ;)) deal.

Start the job, make sure you have a semi economical cheap runaround as some have recommended already.

Then see how the job goes before you tie yourself into a PCP deal where you're in heavy negative equity as soon as you get the car!
Can't disagree with this. I assume you will have a probation period as well. This is probably very good advice. Buy as cheap run around for a period of time to get you through

Soldato
OP

As brutally as you've put it ( :D ), you're not wrong and it's one of the things I've been seriously thinking about.

Soldato
Yep, I'm not being very helpful, because I don't really know. I've enjoyed running nice cars, probably as a pride thing as you hinted at. What I need and want are different ha.

Really, I'd like another EV if possible for the ease of home charging, but I've never had to suffer real range anxiety of the use of non tesla chargers. It's a huge plus having the Tesla network. I would like a quick car again, but a petrol option would cost stupid money again, so the only way to do so is another EV. Or, I take the opportunity to go ultra slow and boring and save money.

I don't have a huge amount in savings, but a very good house deposit should I need it (partner owns the house, I pay bills etc.). I'd like to keep most of it in tact for any huge life changes. Marriage and getting on the property ladder are life points I've yet to reach.

Basically, it needs to be reliable, comfy, bigger than a small hatchback (astra, focus etc. at least) for boot space. Towing isn't an requirement and we don't do huge trips. We are going to Cornwall from Newcastle in a month and we'll be going in the partner's Kia Piccanto, which I'm desperate to avoid haha.

Realistically, the new job will be fine, but I'm just anxious of committing (yeah, commitment is a real problem with me) to a large financial deal just as I'm leaving one employer to start another.
I know your circumstances all too well. You need an interim/low-commitment car. Don't be too fussy about marque or whatever. A decent Focus with a bank loan would be perfect:

Soldato
As brutally as you've put it ( :D ), you're not wrong and it's one of the things I've been seriously thinking about.
Just being brutally honest and worried for ya.

Like Wizzkidy has also said, they could easily slack you off during your probation period, or you might just gate it and leave.

Don't tie yourself into something financially crippling right now and stay liquid with your cash.

We got rid of our stunning newish X5 and now have a MK2 Berlingo with 75 whole horses. Couldn't be happier, as funds for a serious house purchase and initial refurbishments are far more important than some awesome SUV on a HP deal!

Associate
He is unable to afford anything over £400 including fuel AFAIK, and those prices are crazy

Capture.jpg

Really?

Soldato
OP
As a temporary measure ? a car subscription https://www.thecarexpert.co.uk/the-best-car-subscription-providers/

would be £500p/m it seems, so, quickly less economic than a cheap runaround, .. but, no so distant from £350 monthly oulay for tesla.
I looked at these subscription as a means to quickly get a car for a very short term, but it is a very costly way to do it. It wouldn't be so bad if buying a £5k car would cost me £1k in depreciation after a similar time frame, but I really hope that that's not the case...

Soldato
OP
He is unable to afford anything over £400 including fuel AFAIK, and those prices are crazy

Capture.jpg

Really?
It's more I'd really rather not lose 25-30% of my salary just to running a car that is largely a means of getting to work; it's quite bitter when you consider it like that. Fuel, maintenance, insurance, car, everything for sub £500 would sit ok with me.

That £375 pcm is based on a longer term. The prices sky rocket when you drop it down to a one month lease... £469 in that example. Where's the lube?! Guaranteed it's not thrown in free! :eek:

Soldato
That £375 pcm is based on a longer term. The prices sky rocket when you drop it down to a one month lease... £469 in that example. Where's the lube?! Guaranteed it's not thrown in free! :eek:

Did you see the 2 year deal I posed on the Kona earlier? That seemed much more manageable. I did try to PM you but you don't have your conversations enabled it seems. :)

Soldato
OP
Did you see the 2 year deal I posed on the Kona earlier? That seemed much more manageable. I did try to PM you but you don't have your conversations enabled it seems. :)
I did mate, yeah. It looked cracking, but I think I've decided I need to play it safe for now, and get a run around until Christmas ish.
Have you got the link again to make sure I'm thinking of the right one?

Soldato
I did mate, yeah. It looked cracking, but I think I've decided I need to play it safe for now, and get a run around until Christmas ish.
Have you got the link again to make sure I'm thinking of the right one?

No I just left details in the post, rather than link to it, that is what I was going to PM you, as sometimes the links don't set all the settings so you end up getting a duff one.

Seems like a sensible choice, £3.5k should get you a decent (not total) shed with a 6 month warranty from a local dealer type place, I saw one I know selling a Fiesta Titanium X 1.4 58 plate with 80k on it, looked OK, clean and tidy in and out full MOT, service history etc. Sort of car you can easily sell on as they are always in demand, especially with all the bells and whistles it has on it.

Back
Top Bottom