New Case Fortress FT01B-W

Soldato
Just wondering did you have to use 8 Pin to 2 x 4Pin PSU extension Cable? Is it long enough as i have Corsair 650TX and i'm assuming will be the same length :)

Not sure about rjkoneil, but I needed one for my Zalman. I could probably have made the standard cable reach, but it would've been quite a stretch.

So placing hdd inside the hdd cage will cause vibration and noise?

It seems to, but I plan to investigate further. The doors of the plastic cages are a little on the loose side when installed, and I am wondering if that is where the issue is steming from.

I might just put my drive back in the plastic cage and pack the door with a little bit of foam to tighten it and see what happens.

But, yes from what I have noticed, the bays do carry the vibrations.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
cant say ive noticed any vibration i have a raptor 150gb which i can def hear the hdd access, i also have a maxtor 150gb.

This is as quiet a case as ive ever owned and i certainly dont hear anything from HDD's that would give me cause for concern :)

Soldato
cant say ive noticed any vibration i have a raptor 150gb which i can def hear the hdd access, i also have a maxtor 150gb.

This is as quiet a case as ive ever owned and i certainly dont hear anything from HDD's that would give me cause for concern :)

What I noticed is that the case seems to 'amplify' the HDD seek noises for want of a better term.

But then again, I am a bit of a noise freak, and proably hear/get annoyed by a lot more than others. :p

Soldato
OP
im lookin a front drive bay panel for showing temps, of cpu, gpu ambient temps etc.

Anyone any recommendations for something to fit this requirement, bling factor would be nice too :)

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
Oh i see what you mean now. Good job i have non modular then :D

Just wondering did you have to use 8 Pin to 2 x 4Pin PSU extension Cable? Is it long enough as i have Corsair 650TX and i'm assuming will be the same length :)

no its fine as it is

650 corsair should be fine too :)

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
im lookin a front drive bay panel for showing temps, of cpu, gpu ambient temps etc.

Anyone any recommendations for something to fit this requirement, bling factor would be nice too :)

the only thing that springs to mind is the nzxt one

but it is epic epic fail

Soldato

Aerocool do a few.... http://www.aerocool.us/peripheral.htm

Then there's the Zalman.... http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=BB-000-ZA&groupid=701&catid=209&subcat=1296

Or, my personal favourite.... http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=BB-003-SY&groupid=701&catid=209&subcat=1296

Soldato

For all of those, i think the Alphacool line of Displays would work well. I am pretty sure they used to be on ocuk but i cant find them now.

They come in different sizes and usually fit in 5.25" bays.

Example, fits in two 5.25" bays perfectly:
3832_1__25411_2.jpg

Associate
Rjkoneil

Hi, I saw in your build log here: http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17952928
I see you have used the 750w PSU to power the 280gtx sli, but later in the build you removed the graphics cards and replaced with something else? Was this because the power supply did not have enough wattage?

I am also going to buy the same PSU and hope one day to add a second 260 gtx, but I was wondering if the 750W would be enough, as I would also be running an i7 920.

I would appreciate a quick reply if you happen to read this! Hope to place my order thursday!

BTW do 22" monitors with 1680x1050 res look good? I am looking to buy a monitor that will look awesome!

Last edited:
Soldato
not to theif anyones questions, but i can say it should run perfectly fine.

ofcorse wait for a reply from Rjkoneil, as hes the one with all the experience but im pretty sure itd be fine.

Associate
What I noticed is that the case seems to 'amplify' the HDD seek noises for want of a better term.

But then again, I am a bit of a noise freak, and proably hear/get annoyed by a lot more than others. :p

I have also noticed this. When I have to leave the PC on at night, I turn down CPU & GFX fans till they are nearly inaudible, but the HDDS can be heard reading/writing from the next room! I also have a 150GB Raptor + a 500GB WD storage drive, I'm assuming it's the Raptor making all the racket.

Soldato
OP
Out of interest, what CPU cooler are you using for your i7 sharpy? It looks nicer than the Noctua nh-u12p that I'm getting, but is yours as good as the noctua?

Yep its an akasa nero, crackin wee cooler for the price.

Have a look roun dfor reviews its getting good ratings and like i said earlier i consider it the Freezer 7 pro of the I7 range :)

Soldato
Yep its an akasa nero, crackin wee cooler for the price.

Have a look roun dfor reviews its getting good ratings and like i said earlier i consider it the Freezer 7 pro of the I7 range :)

Nice builds guys, and sharpy, do you know if the fan on the akasa nero can be replaced with any 120mm fan? Ive been looking at that cpu cooler recently but havent found anyone that has it installed in their system. Web reviews are a little vague.

Im thinking of installing a sharkoon silent to go with the theme in my case. ;)

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
Rjkoneil

Hi, I saw in your build log here: http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17952928
I see you have used the 750w PSU to power the 280gtx sli, but later in the build you removed the graphics cards and replaced with something else? Was this because the power supply did not have enough wattage?

I am also going to buy the same PSU and hope one day to add a second 260 gtx, but I was wondering if the 750W would be enough, as I would also be running an i7 920.

I would appreciate a quick reply if you happen to read this! Hope to place my order thursday!

BTW do 22" monitors with 1680x1050 res look good? I am looking to buy a monitor that will look awesome!
no mate - still have GTX 280 SLI

its more than enough

thats with a waterloop and the i7920 at 4GHz+

get ordering!

i would personally go for a 1900*1200 monitor perhaps a 26" over 2X 22"

Back
Top Bottom