New cat 6 wiring in house

A G

A G

Associate
Hello
My builder has run a number of cat 6 cables from my rooms to the router, but he has now just told me he wont be doing anything at the router end to the cables.
He also claimed from the 10 or so wires a cat6 has you only need to use a few.

He has said I will need to get someone out to do the connection but wasn't more specific, I'm curious what I need to do, I would expect with some guidance i can do it myself.

Also for each room I have purchased 1 Gang (1G) RJ45 Data Outlet Cat6, and he claimed at that end you only use a few of the 10 or wires, is he right and do i get him to do that connection at that end, and if so, which of the few wires should I be asking him to use... any further advice on this and the above question will be appreciated.

Thanks

Thanks for the detailed response.

I have confirmed and he has not and is not doing anything but putting the front plate in the rooms.
I came across this as I assume I need to crimp the cables at the router end, would this pack suffice for all the tools you have mentioned:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stripping-...ds=crimp+tool+for+rj45&qid=1622196128&sr=8-11

The area where I am running Cat 6 to, isn't going to be used for much else, so I wasn't planning on purchasing a rack, although I had not thought that far ahead, it makes it a lot tidier. Not sure how much space i'd left as planning on using under the stairs.

I'll read up more on your links, but do let me know if you think the link i have sent would suffice with all the tools I'd need?
Thanks

I was thinking maybe I'm getting more for my money with the kit, but 100% agree, some stuff you never use, esp. someone like.
Video looked very good, something I would attempt, with the right tools.
I'll need to do both i guess, as he has only run the cat 6 to the desired locations (each room and hub), am i right in my understanding of that?
I'm in London - That's interesting, how would I find such people on Facebook, like post an ad?

P.S how do i leave you like thumbs up or similar, you are extremely helpful?

On Facebook, just post up that you’re looking for help. And someone will offer. 100% take up some kind of reference though.

If you promise to send them back, I’ll happily lend you the tools to do the work.

You can’t leave feedback, but if I’ve helped, that’s all I need to know. I get as much help in other areas from others from the Internet, so if I can help in this, that’s a way of paying the Internet community back.

Thanks - sorry havent been on the forum to respond - I wouldnt feel right borrowing your stuff, the help you are providing is more than enough, I will look to purchase the equipment.

Of that Kit I think I use four of the items. The round cable cutter is very useful. The push tool, is essential as is the crimp tool. The tester is also essential. The only part of the kit I might criticise is the crimp tool, which is important that you have one that works well. I use this one...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0000AZK4G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Oh Thanks
Would you say the crimp tool that comes with that package isn't as effective?
I need to kinda balance things out and not overly spend, realistically I wont be doing this again but I need to crimp around 15+ cables, i have 7 for the CCTV and around 8 around the house for network connectivity

About two years ago I started wiring up the house with CAT6 cabling/face plates/patch panels etc. I'd not done any kind of structured networking before so had to learn how to crimp cables etc. To be honest, with a willingness to try and be prepared to get it wrong a few times, eventually you can start crimping connectors fairly reliably, albeit not as quickly as someone who does it all the time.

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01NCRL5NW - these are the CAT6 RJ45 connectors I use.
https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06XT1Z7CH - this is the cable tester I use. Literally plug each end of the cable into each part of the tester and make sure all the lights light up and in the same order for each end of the cable.
https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0744HPB43 - punch down impact tool; if you are going to connect cables directly to the back of a face plate/patch panel, you'll need a similar tool.
https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B076MGPQZQ - Klein cable crimper, works with RJ45 and RJ11. I love this tool, nice bit of kit.

What I'd suggest is getting some CAT6 cable and just practice, until you can do it reliably - you don't want to try for the first time on the cabling your builder has put in! Also, as WJA96 has said, there are the two cabling standards, I started with T568B as that seems to be most widely used nowadays. Stick to the same standard throughout.

T568B layout - https://images.app.goo.gl/zHVnY3itJMY9XqtG9

Thanks

the 4 items is all I'd need you would say based on your experience?
I too havent done this sort of stuff, but more than prepared to try - I've seen many videos on how to crimp the cable which plugs in to a device like a router, but unsure what its called where you have a wall plate and you plug 1 end of a cat5/cat6 cable in to the wall and the other into a laptop/PC... I presume I need to do something different on the wall end of my CAT6 cable to allow me to plug in a Cat5/Cat6 cable into the wall and the other end into the laptop/PC?

As @Dg834man has said, you should be using patch cable to go from the wall face plate to your device. The cabling you put in the wall is made of thicker, singular strands of cable, whereas patch cables are made of many thinner strands. The idea is that the thick, structural cable goes in the wall etc and connects to patch panels/face plates. The patch cables then go from the face plate/patch panel to devices. Patch cables are designed/intended to take a bit of abuse, structured cables intended to be installed and then left in situ.

You can make up patch cables with offcut structural cables (indeed, I did so to make use of offcuts) but that's not the 'proper' way of doing it. But it would be a good way of practicing the crimping etc. HTH.

I guess I only need to really understand/see a video of what i need to do to the Cat6 cable at the wall end, as the builder has just put the plate on.
any vids or advise on how i do this would help me understand the full process.

Hello
Thanks for all the help so far, i haven't yet got around to attempt the cat 6 job
But I have a different issue, I had asked my builder to run cat 6cables for me for my CCTV but he has run these black cables, I have no idea what they are, and I very much doubt I can use them for PoE cameras?
Please advise, hes done all the work and closed things off so no even sure what my options are now - I cannot see any option to upload images on here?

Nope they are definitely not network cables - from googling it appears they are coaxial - i presume this is a problem if i was looking at getting PoE CCTVs

Its such a shame I cannot send you guys a pic of the cables

Its 2 cables one has red and the other from the pic i have taken i can only see silver

What do i lose over PoE if its PoC I go for?

Ah, I haven't opened them to check but I would say similar to the 2nd link which means PoC CCTVs only - ah the entire project seems to be going from bad to worst from what I was anticipating to what how its all turning out

Well I didnt pay him for the cables, but told him via messages and verbally i want cat 6 for CCTV - as everything is open in the house, i have the option of still running cat6, probs cannot run them to the original location of the NVR i had planned (the loft), but I can change its location and still run cat 6 without having to chisel walls to get cables through..... im not sure though if its worth the effort, mate said he defo would change to cat6 while most floor boards are open - i'm really in 2 minds.
builder claims this is what all cctv cables are like, so he clearly isnt with the times of IP cameras

Can you see what is written on the cable? I’m sure it’s not that bad. In terms of PoC you can get cameras up to 8MP/4K and you won’t need a PoE switch because the XVR will power the cameras directly. And the cameras are much cheaper than the equivalent IP cameras.

Hey
I have check and this is what is says on the cable

Mercury RG59b/LI 75 SHOTGUN COAXIL CABLE - FORM FILLED PE - SOLID OFC CONDUCTOR - CCA BRAID 097M

That’s fine for any HDCVI camera system. So you can either power the cameras over PoC or use a separate 12V power supply to feed the cameras.

Have a look here to see the kind of cameras you could install with that cable. https://www.securitydynamics.co.uk/hdcvi-cameras

Don’t worry about the CCA.

Thanks, so the comment about CCA is not much of concern?

I'll have a look at the up until I thought he was going to install Cat 6 cables, i was looking at Hikvision motion and color view night vision with 2 way audio, but I cannot find the equivalent to those CCTVs. Contacted one of the suppliers and he mentioned purchasing some next thing £120 each whcih was like a converter - That isn't happening I was planning on having 7 CCTVs

I'm contemplating pulling CAT6 via the Coax, especially as the floor boards are open - but I could end up getting stuck half way and

Let's not get carried away here, it's a solid copper core and then an aluminium braid. It's coax cable, it doesn't matter.

OP: What do you actually want? If you've requested Cat6, your builder agreed and then has installed something else then ask them to install what you requested. If you just want CCTV then as advised you can most likely use what has been installed.

I had asked the builder for Cat 6 for my CCTVs he hasnt installed them as mentioned and installed something else, I have today asked him to re-run Cat 6 to which he has said no, not without charging me extra - I can try to run them myself, but would be a first time.

The CCTVs I had seen as expained in another post were Hikvision IP cameras, with the following key functions to me, Colour Night vision, 2 way audio and Power over Ethernet... cannt even rememer what else appealed to me, but these things I wanted in my CCTVs

@WJA96 Thanks so much for the detailed info - to add and for my re-assurance, the cables I currently have (coaxil) I wouldn't need a separate power supply to power the cameras? And I can just purchase a PoC XVR to power 7-8 cameras without the need for anything else?
I had done a bit of research and contacted a few suppliers for IP cameras and got trade accounts created, and that I guess was another reason why I was so set on IP cameras, but if the difference isn't much, based on what I understood from your messages, and I've googled it too, then I am thinking is it worth the hassle of replacing the cables - especially as its at my expense, the builder wont budge on this.

I've looked at your links i liked the look of the dome camera, would you recommend the first link rather than the 2nd? You mentioned illumination is better on the bullet, not sure what that actually means?

Also I'm thinking if the cameras are half the price in comparison to the IP ones I was looking at, maybe I would purchase 1 * PTZ camera (wont need mic as it will be high up) any suggestions of how good they are and any you recommend?

I think it's fair to say I'm leaning towards keeping the cables as are.... just hope they are a little future proof, i.e. I do not have to re-run Cat 6 cables if they stop making decent coaxial cameras in lets say 5-10 years

Why do you want a PTZ camera?

Just get 2/3/4 cameras to cover the area, set and forget.

I thought there quiet cool from some of the Hikvision IP PTZ cameras I saw, I presume you do not think they are practical or worth the investment?

Back
Top Bottom