New computer wont boot up

Associate
I recently built my first PC everything was going OK until yesterday i tried switching it on and kept turning it self on and off before finally working. Then i tried turning it on today and i got a flash of light from the fan LED's and a clicking sound then nothing. I see 2 lights coming from the motherboard a red one with a power icon and a green that says reset which don't do anything.

These are my specs (ALL parts brought from overclockuk)

Antec 1200 case
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 motherboard
Nvidia 520GT
1 Corsair force GT 120GB SSD
1 Western digital Cavier black 1TB
16GB Corsair Vengeance RAM
Corsair AX850 power supply

Soldato
Another asus board what a surprise. I just RMA'ed my board because it also would't post was getting vga led even with no gpu installed.

The fail rate off theses boards must be very high you only have to google asus no post and you'll see page after page.

Caporegime
Instead of instantly RMA'ing it,

Try this,

ClearCMOS
Try a single stick of RAM in different slots and try other sticks of RAM.
use the bare minimum needed to post (no drives connected, use the onboard GFX solution by removing the card)

Associate
OP
I never overclocked the motherboard however how do i know if its is the motherboard and not the power supply wont they charge me for the return if i sent the wrong part back? I kinda hope it is the motherboard because i cant find the box the power supply came in i have all the parts it came with, the cables and foam covering will this be an issue?

Caporegime
I never overclocked the motherboard however how do i know if its is the motherboard and not the power supply wont they charge me for the return if i sent the wrong part back? I kinda hope it is the motherboard because i cant find the box the power supply came in i have all the parts it came with, the cables and foam covering will this be an issue?

You don't as you haven't tried any fault finding, and you will get charged if its not the item at fault,

Associate
Another asus board what a surprise. I just RMA'ed my board because it also would't post was getting vga led even with no gpu installed.

The fail rate off theses boards must be very high you only have to google asus no post and you'll see page after page.

Asus boards always use to be a favourite of mine for reliability... but as of recently I fear you are right.

Soldato
How can i do any fault finding if the PC wont turn on at all and don't have any spare parts with which to test.

If your problem is like mine and I have test all parts and still brings vga led. Some people on other site thinks it because of damaged Bios and before this happened to me I happened to be in bios after restart my pc crashed and since then the problem happened. so maybe they is some truth in it.
You cant even update the bios because at the moment of the post usb slots dont work because it hasn't got to boot device led.

They is another way but it means spending money and thats buying a bios chip for the board and replace it yourself, but thats only if its 100% true that bios is damaged.

Associate
If your problem is like mine and I have test all parts and still brings vga led. Some people on other site thinks it because of damaged Bios and before this happened to me I happened to be in bios after restart my pc crashed and since then the problem happened. so maybe they is some truth in it.
You cant even update the bios because at the moment of the post usb slots dont work because it hasn't got to boot device led.

They is another way but it means spending money and thats buying a bios chip for the board and replace it yourself, but thats only if its 100% true that bios is damaged.

+1 exactly the same for me.

Associate
OP
Did you check if CPU cooler is mounted properly?

CPU has been running at 30-40 degrees. I just tried connecting my LED's only to the PSU and got nothing, i then tried connecting the new western digital in the computer to the PSU to get to connect to my laptop and got nothing, it wouldn't start up. I then connected the hard drive to one of these http://www.nuvolashop.com/1770-large/usb-20-to-sata-ide-25-35-hard-drive-adapter-cable.jpg directly to my laptop and it worked fine. It looks my worse fears have come true it looks like a dead PSU and i cant find the box it came in :( my day is going from bad to worse

Back
Top Bottom