New CPU help - Wont boot

Associate
Hi all,

First off - if this is in the wrong forum, please let me know!

So I have just got a new CPU, but for the life of me I cant get it working. I am installing a 3700X into a b450 ds3h. It says it supports 3 series chips on the box. My old chip was a 2600X.

I have tried the new CPU and just cant get it working, I have put my old cpu back in and it boots up just fine.

With my new CPU in, i can start the PC with the power button on the front of the case, but i cannot turn it back off by holding that button. I read that,that may be something to do with the CPU and motherboard not talking?

I have reset Bios

I dont quite understand this, but the Bios seems to "reset" to the latest available online, despite me buying the board before this date. (the latest Bios is 2020 and I brought my system 2019). I cleared the BIOS by both shorting the pins and taking the battery out. When I go back into the BIOS, I get a "bios has been reset" notice, but my BIOS edition is still the very latest available, which confuses me.

My system

1 x AMD Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6GHz 6 Core (Socket AM4) CPU (Swapping this for a 3700x)
2 x Adata XPG Gammix D10 (Tray Bulk) 8GB (1x 8GB) RAM
1 x Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB M.2-2280 NVMe PCIe SSD
1 x Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6GB Graphics Card
1 x TP-Link TL-WN881ND 300Mbps PCI Express WiFi
1 x Xigmatek Scorpio Gaming Case - Black
650w PSU- Seasonic
1 x
Gigabyte B450M DS3H AMD Socket AM4 Motherboard

This is the second item I couldnt get working, as i tried to install a 2080 that i got 2nd hand and for some reason I couldnt get that working either. I returned that card and it was fine.

I also weirdly have a spare USB header cable that was plugged into something and i cannot find out what it was supposed to be plugged into.

Any and all help is hugely appreciated!

Thank you

Soldato
You cannot just reset the bios to an earlier version by clearing CMOS etc, it's a similar process to updating the bios (reflashing). You do sound a bit (sorry if this comes across condescending) confused about the differences of flashing the bios and performing a reset.

How are you reading the bios version, what specifically does the bios report? How did you flash the bios? (presumably you did or the board somehow came with a bios from the future).

Man of Honour
You say you can start the PC with the new CPU, but the thread title says it doesn't boot? So, what exactly happens? Does it allow you to enter the BIOS, or just boot into a black screen?

Associate
OP
You say you can start the PC with the new CPU, but the thread title says it doesn't boot? So, what exactly happens? Does it allow you to enter the BIOS, or just boot into a black screen?

Hi,

Sorry if I've been confusing , old CPU boots fine. New CPU doesn't get anywhere , nothing more than a black screen.

You cannot just reset the bios to an earlier version by clearing CMOS etc, it's a similar process to updating the bios (reflashing). You do sound a bit (sorry if this comes across condescending) confused about the differences of flashing the bios and performing a reset.

How are you reading the bios version, what specifically does the bios report? How did you flash the bios? (presumably you did or the board somehow came with a bios from the future).

Dont worry , I am confused and I absolutely could be using the wrong terminology.

So it used to have an old BIOS, it is now running version 60c ( the latest available ). I have shorted the CMOS jumpers and taken the battery out, I thought this reset the version to the factory installed version ,am I wrong ? Either way,despite doing both of those things,it still reads f60c

I updated the BIOS with a USB stick following a YouTube guide.I read the current version as it tells me in msinfo and the BIOS itself.

Please explain to me like a child and don't worry about sounding condecending. :)

Check the cpu for bent pins.

Try booting with one stick of ram.

Take out your wifi card it mite be conflicting

No bent pins but will try the other two things thanks!

Sorry if the spelling is bad, replying on phone !

Thank you all for the help

Man of Honour
When you clear the cmos that resets the settings in the bios to default, it does not change the bios version.

With the new cpu if no fans spin and the psu doesnt come on then i would say you have a faulty cpu.

Associate
OP
When you clear the cmos that resets the settings in the bios to default, it does not change the bios version.

With the new cpu if no fans spin and the psu doesnt come on then i would say you have a faulty cpu.

All the fans spin fine, including those on the wraith spires cooler and its rgb lights up

Soldato
Flashing the bios = changing the software(version) stored on the motherboard

Resetting the bios = applying factory settings of the software on the motherboard

Wouldn't be a bad call to test the second to last bios version to see if that at least boots with the new CPU, like drivers, support can be flaky at the best of times.

Soldato
The latest bios version adds support for 5000 series so I would use the one before that as it might not play nice with 3000 series cpu so see if you can update to F51.

Edit. Ok looking at the bios page for your board it says you should update bios in order from F32 > F40 then try F51 make sure you also have the latest version of the AMD chipset driver installed before doing this.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
The latest bios version adds support for 5000 series so I would use the one before that as it might not play nice with 3000 series cpu so see if you can update to F51.

Edit. Ok looking at the bios page for your board it says you should update bios in order from F32 > F40 then try F51 make sure you also have the latest version of the AMD chipset driver installed before doing this.

Do I have to downgrade from my f60c first ?

Is this all easy enough ?

I have never installed a chipset driver

Thank you

Soldato
Do I have to downgrade from my f60c first ?

Is this all easy enough ?

I have never installed a chipset driver

Thank you
the latest chipset driver can be found here

https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/b450

I would install F32 first followed by F40 then F51 then try your 3700X and see if that works, dont bother with F60 as that adds support to 5000 series CPUs and may have bugs or not fully stable especially with previous gen chips.

If after doing the above it doesn't work then you might have a defective CPU.

Soldato
Chipset drivers aren't going to help if the system doesn't boot with the current bios, roll back to an earlier bios (remember that process you went through earlier with the USB stick following the youtube guide). I do have a question though, did the system boot at all before the bios update, or did you preemptively update before trying to boot with the new CPU?

Soldato
Chipset driver is not important. It will only come in play when you have OS installed.

if you can’t boot or post it means you can’t get past bios checks. So it is likely to be the issue of bios settings. Out your 2600x back in and check BIOS version. If not the latest one then flash the latest one. Read the manual for your motherboard regarding how to flash and also check out some YouTube video.

after flashing you need to clear cmos. This is done by unplug the Pc from the wall and short circular the CMOS jumper (2 metal pins sticking out) on the motherboard and leave it short for a while (count to 30). Then put your new CPU in and boot etc. It should all work from there.

Soldato
OP is on the latest bios pc-guy, read through the thread.

chk the bios version from bios. OP said he flashed the latest bios but if something gone awol in that process the flashing process would have terminated leaving the old bios which would have been the factory one that doesn’t support Zen2 CPUs

always useful to check and double check rather than assume.

Soldato
His old CPU still boots with the system on the latest bios, please read the thread and offload whatever else into a private message to me, so we can avoid taking this thread off the rails.

Soldato
That’s the point. If the bios flash didn’t complete for some reason and the process reverted back to the factory bios then it would have cause the problem. Ie 2600x works and 3700x don’t work.

if the bios is the latest confirming in the bios then that CPU is dead.

Associate
OP
His old CPU still boots with the system on the latest bios, please read the thread and offload whatever else into a private message to me, so we can avoid taking this thread off the rails.

First off thank you for all your help from the three of you.

For PC-GUY - I am on f60c - which is the latest and most up to date BIOS availalble to me.

Things to try today
- Try booting with one stick of Ram
- Try booting without my Wifi card installed
- Then downgrade my latest bios down to F30 (which is an earlier version than what the board came with) and then back to F40 and then F51

Does that all sound sensible?

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom