New cpu. Now pc doesn't display anything.

The pc turns on as the fans spin, but nothing happens after this. No display, no USB work, the USB items like dongles don't even have any lights on them any more

I've no idea how I would diagnose those as very little has changed.just took out the old cpu, put in the new one and the new heatsink, plugged the cpu fan in and that's it.

Could it be that the cpu needs more power now than the last?

There is a 4 pin next to the cpu plugged into a area that actually has 8 pins available but only 4 were ever used. Not sure why only 4 out of 8 were needed. Would a weaker cpu only want 4?

Soldato
OP
@randal is almost certainly correct. But so are you. Put your old CPU back in. Update the BIOS. Plug in a full 8 pin EPS power connector. Then put in your new 3900.
I've put a full 8 pin in now. The existing 4 pin actually had 4 more (it was like an 8 pin but split) and the 4 that were already in place had CP on them, and the 4 extra have U1 on them. They are now in.

do some CPUs not need the full 8? as seems odd that the last one even worked with just the 4.

i've checked and my bios is version F7, and the latest it lists is F51b.

the scary thing is i'm struggling to follow the procedure in which i need to update first. it appears i can't update straight to the latest. but it's following the list of which order i odn't understand.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom