New cpu. Now pc doesn't display anything.

Soldato
OP
yeah most likely.

one thing i'm noticing is a fan (can't be on a visual check) going low then high then low then high speed, all the while i'm not really doing anything.

using core temp the readings show min 47c and max 57c.

anything to be worried about?

Soldato
yeah most likely.

one thing i'm noticing is a fan (can't be on a visual check) going low then high then low then high speed, all the while i'm not really doing anything.

using core temp the readings show min 47c and max 57c.

anything to be worried about?
Doubt it’s anything to worry about but you could identify the offending fan in the bios or using gigabytes desktop app and set it to a static speed.

Soldato
OP
Doubt it’s anything to worry about but you could identify the offending fan in the bios or using gigabytes desktop app and set it to a static speed.
had a look on bios and it didn't seem to be doing it, only once i loaded windows (even before logging in), is when the fan seems to go into like super speed for 5 seconds, then back to very quiet for about 20 seconds, then super speed, rinse repeat. almost definitely it's the cpu fan now when watching, it seems to be change pattern (thanks to the rgb lights helping me see this).

the temp seems ok, but it's very frustrating to be in a room with just the fan noises going from essentially silent to speedy every 30 seconds or so.

i couldn't see a way to check the fan speed from gigabyte desktop app.

Soldato
You’ll need to adjust the fan curves in BIOS. You need to set the fan speed first at a set level, say 35 or 40%, then with a temp monitoring program record what temps the cpu spikes to during normal usage for your use case, e.g watching 4K videos, browsing, coding etc.

If the temps go too high at said fan speed, just increase until noise/temps are acceptable

Once you know what temps you get to at a set fan speed or % you could build the fan curve around that so the fans don’t ramp up until the cpu temp goes above an upper limit.

For example, my 3600x with ambient around 22c and normal desktop use spikes around 40-45c tops in normal use, this was with fan set to 35% iirc.

Therefore my fan curve is set at 35% fan speed from 0c to 55c. Then my next step is say 50% fan speeds to say 70c to account for light gaming, then finally I have the curve ramp up to 100% fan speed for 85c.

This is where you can tweak it to your liking though.

So now under normal use, the fans don’t do that annoying ramp up and down in normal use, with a bit of headroom for either higher ambient, or slightly higher cpu usage temp. Because I know my 35% fan speed can keep normal use temps below 55c.

I also use the same curves for my case fans, but again you can choose your own curves for this using the same method.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Download gigabyte app centre, then from within that download smartfan 5
i have smatfan5 now installed. still unable to stop the problem.

I've tried selecting the auto mode to silent. this works when doing nothing, but as soon as i open a new tab, the fan speeds right up.

i've gone to advanced mode to make a nice curve. i've changed the interval to the highest i can to stop sudden speed bursts from a short second of change. hasn't solved the problem.

i've set the fans not to increase until a higher temp but it still boosts the fans for a few seconds, and repeats this every few seconds.

if i open a new tab, boost. if i open emails. boost. click reply, boost.

with the smartfan app open, i can see sometimes for a split second the workload jumps to about 96% for a second and then this causes the fans to go nuts.

what can i do as it's unbearable

Last edited:
Soldato
Hey Apex,

I would try a different app instead of the gigabyte app, which usually contains a fair bit of bloat and resource hog. Try something like Argus monitor which will allow you to better control the fan speeds/curves to your liking.

Also as someone else has said, look in the bios and look for a fan control section to set them up first then use software as i mentioned to fine tune them. Argus monitor allows you to set them to bios control or software control.

You may need to make sure the Fan control in the bios is set to PWM control to stop it from doing what its doing.

This video will help you locate the smart fan 5 control section
Gigabyte AB350-Gaming 3 BIOS Overview - YouTube

Soldato
OP
thanks. i've checked that video. the guys cpu was at 30c. mine never gets to that temp it seems, though i'm only seeing this from within windows so more happening. is there any chance this issue is a result of poor thermal paste install causing the cpu to not lose heat as easy as it should and so the fans kicking in too often?

Associate
No, all CPUs spike to higher temps for split secs. It is how CPUs work these days and means the fans ramp up fast.

You need to find the correct bios settings to set the fans to own control and regulate it how you want.

Soldato
thanks. i've checked that video. the guys cpu was at 30c. mine never gets to that temp it seems, though i'm only seeing this from within windows so more happening. is there any chance this issue is a result of poor thermal paste install causing the cpu to not lose heat as easy as it should and so the fans kicking in too often?
No, all CPUs spike to higher temps for split secs. It is how CPUs work these days and means the fans ramp up fast.

You need to find the correct bios settings to set the fans to own control and regulate it how you want.
Indeed, you can set the polling period for the fan controller to detect changes so it doesn't ramp up and down.

Back
Top Bottom