New Dell IPS S2721DGF 165hz gaming monitor

Associate
Hi All been looking around and noticed dell are going to release a new gaming IPS monitor in july, the S2721DGF.

the specs are

Screen Size / Aspect Ratio 27 inches / 16:9
Max Resolution & Refresh Rate 2560 x 1440 @ 165 Hz (with DisplayPort, 144Hz with HDMI); G-Sync Compatible, FreeSync Premium Pro
Panel Type / Backlight IPS / LED
Natiive Color Space HDR 98% DCI-P3, VESA DisplayHDR 400
Contrast Ratio 1,000:1
Response Time (GTG) 1ms
Ports 2x HDMI 2.0, DisplayPort 1.4, USB 3.0 downstream, USB 3.0 upstream, 3.5mm headphone-out jack, 3.5mm audio line-out
Power Consumption 46W
Dimensions 14.31 x 24.1 x 2.7 inches

sounds good, wonder if its better than the LG and might be worth cheaking out

https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/news/dell-S2721DGF-S2721HGF-27-inch-gaming-monitors

Associate
OP
I am still trying to find out the price as i just bought a 27u19d which can be returned, I am sort of happy with it but gaming monitors seem to be expensive as I wanted a triple monitor setup.

I was thinking what the new dell monitor might use as there panel.

The Dell S2721DGF features FreeSync Premium Pro compatibility, The only difference between the two is that the Pro version supports HDR abd will be compatible with G-Sync once they ship which is July 28.

Associate
OP
i just bought a Dell U2719D and i am sort of happy with it and i know its not much of a gaming monitor but i am thinkng if this new display will be better for work like photoshop over the U2719D and u have the plus side of a gaming monitor.

Associate
OP
not to bothered about the usb ports but i dont know how much this is going to cost, u can get the U2719D for about £350 but do you think these will be about £400 ? or £500

do you think the new dell would have a better panel than the u2719d, Meaning better contrast and better shadow detail or do you think it will be the same but with just better refresh rate and a higher better HDR colour ?

I always had TN panals and just tried out the u2719D and it does seem to have not as deep blacks as the TN as it looks more gray but i am not to sure if its this ips glow that makes it look like that,

i was just trying to figure out if other ips panel like LG and otheres would be better or just the same.

I know apple use ips panels but there monitors look amazong blacks and i dont understnad how they do it so well compaired to other pc ips monitors or even if there is a monitor thta can do the same.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Can not seem to see there sRGB range just the p3

Wounder if these would be just as good as the U2719D for photoshop as I play as a hobby with photoshop.

been using a tn panel for years until a couple a weeks ago.

anyone know if the bagels are just the same as the U2719D

thanks

Associate
OP
What’s dells returns like never bought from them what happens if your not happy with it.

I am still undecided in sending my U2719D back and getting 3 of these.

wonder if these Panels will have a good contrast compared to the LG.

Associate
OP
What is the size of the bezels ? In mil. The U2719D is 0.8 to the screen on the sides

I am Very tempted as I got 10% off code to. Do these come with the same dead pixel policy

how’s the reflective coating.

would I be able to run 3 monitors at 165hz on desktop Only with a single gfx card for work with a vega 56

I would only play games on one monitor so that would be ok.

Thanks

Associate
OP
You s
5.5mm pretty much the same as my old S2417DG , the screen has a matt coating and it doesn't reflect that bad.

At 5.5mm would be 0.55cm

the dell S2417DG is 0.8cm or 8.0mm which i Found on rtings So by the sounds of it it’s been reduced even more which is good for multi monitor setup.

still deciding if this would be better than the U2719D For image quality apart from the faster panel

Associate
OP
About 7.0mm inclusive of the frame. Again it's about the same as my old S2417DG

thanks just read the user guide

bezel is
Top 7.42 mm
Left/Right 7.43 mm
Bottom 20.33 mm

and also
Removable pedestal stand and Video Electronics Standards Association (VESA™)
100 mm mounting holes for flexible mounting solutions.
Wall mount monitor using VESA compatible
wall mount kit (100 mm x 100
mm).

4 ms (Fast mode)
3 ms (SuperFast mode)
1 ms (Extreme mode)
NOTE: In Extreme mode, slight artifacts may be
encountered due to overdriving for fast speed and
responsiveness. Use Super Fast/Fast mode for optimal
front of screen experience and game play.

hope this helps others

Associate
OP
Using it for work right now. Just fired up excel and word seems fine. I have it side by side one of the U2719D. Both just have factory defaults on settings. I would say its a bit 'warmer' than the U2719D. I think it looks good. One minor gripe is only one display port. So don't think I can daisy chain.

Hi there I hope you can. I just got 3 U2719D and have a chance to send them back for these.

I would love a good in detail comparison on what you think between these both as I use photoshop as a hobby and been doing this for years on a tn Panel until now.

I have looked at the bezel size and are only about 0.2mm bigger on the S2721DGF.

I would like to know if the contrast and black levels are the same or better or worse between them, Also the colours if there is a big difference.

or any other input would be great. Hope to hear from you soon On then points
Thanks

oh no daisy chain on these I noticed

Associate
OP
I guess if you just have one S2721DGF it can be at the end of a chain but not the middle? I was chaining the 2xU2719D. My plan when a larger desk arrives is to put the S2721DGF in the middle and frame it with 2xU2719D. I also have the slight annoyance of having to switch source between work laptop and personal desktop. The U2719D can switch source from bottom of monitor where the new one is a button on the back. Can they still do 165hz in a chain?

The U2719D is generally a sleeker unit. The S2721DGF is more like the older U2715H particularly from the bottom bezel perspective.

I don't feel particularly well equipped to talk about black levels and such. I don't do any photoshop. Just work/gaming. One thing I noticed in ambient light today perhaps is the task bar looks 'more black' on the S2721DGF than the U2719D.

Would you consider just getting one of the S2721DGF instead?

I just bought all three and don’t like To mix monitors if I can.

hope you Can compare a movie playback on both with dark background.
I noticed on the dell U2719D the standard setting always washed the image out but brought out extra detail but if used custom mode the blacks looked blacker but lots some detail. I never used the dell in standard mode because of that reason

Can you compare it in custom mode. The settings unused are 23 brightness and 75 contrast on the U2719D

thanks for any info.

Associate
OP
Hi Valish here. I've kindly been reunited with my old account. So just some more information from the queries. I think the U2719D and the U2715H are very similar. I've all 3 on now. At 23% brightness I feel on a pure white background I can see the difference in colour between the SD27 and the two U series ones. Also a lot of things are subjective in this space I guess but it is not bright enough for me.

However I hvae to remind myself about these things sometimes for all hardware purchase where you are looking closely at the details. You'll always find a difference and always find a fault I guess. From my perspective when I bought the U2715H at the time 4 years ago I wanted 144Hz and G-sync but the 2 contenders at the time had a bad rep if I recall on panel quality and I didn't want to pay £5-600. The 2 U2719 came from work so concerns there.

Now there is a dell panel that fits my needs, gamer but dont' want any bling. ips, 165hz and g-sync. I'll check the ips-glow tonight and see if its a huge concern but generally I find with this type of analysis is that its kinda all forgotten about in a week and you're just happily using the item

thanks I am looking forward to your findings tonight. I just wanted to know if the S2721DGF Was just as good as dells ultra sharp range the u2719d as I am undecided on if I should send them back and get these.

I know the ultra sharps are calibrated from the factory but I just bought a monitor calibrator to try it out.

I would like to see if they had improved on that as the dell u2721d This years models are the same as the U2719D with no upgrades

I am trying to decide if the wider colour and higher refresh is worth it over the U2719D.

Cheers

Associate
OP
Graphic designer chirping in here. Great to find a discussion around this monitor... thanks for the info and opinions.

As a gamer and someone who does colour sensitive work daily, I've been looking for a new primary monitor that's a decent all-rounder for a while. I'm upgrading to this from an AOC G2460PF, which has been great for gaming, but has really poor colour accuracy and contrast (TN Panel). I took the plunge and ordered the S2721DGF today, so fingers crossed it'll be adequate for my needs. I'm not expecting it to be as good as the display on my Macbook, but I'm hoping it'll be good enough to get by with.

My main concern is that the monitor is 98% DCI-P3. I'm ashamed to admit that I don't really know much about colour spaces, but from a little bit of research it looks like the colours are going to be oversaturated, and when I take work from this monitor to my Mac, it's going to look undersaturated. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Anyway, ramble over. I'll update with my thoughts once I receive it! ;)

Some DCI-P3 monitors have a sRGB emulator for such things in the menu settings but some monitors do not do the conversion very well. I am not to sure of this monitor has such a setting.

Monitors with Adobe RGB color space are built specifically for graphic designers working in print media. sRGB applies to HD television. DCI-P3 is common for digital movie projection or HDR.

sRGB is used in a lot of media like the web and games and programs but DCI-P3 is starting to take over but it will be still years away from replacing sRGB

Been reading up, you have to be carful with DCI-P3 monitors for graphic work as it will be over saturated. Apparently Apple maps colours perfectly for such devices but windows is not very good at all at handling it. Many games and apps that use sRGB will look over saturated on a DCI-P3 monitor unless it has a very good emulation built into the monitor.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Right to just as a final bit of information. Had myself and partner look at these with me tonight. Conclusion was the ips glow U2715 and U2719 was better than on the S2721. Its present on all but more isolated to the corners. I think on my S2721 specifically also I find it a bit disconcerting that on the left corners its more whiteish while on the bottom right its more orange. Still think its good at this price point. Might order a 2nd and see if its any better.

thanks for the info, i might and wait and see what others have to say but it sounds like there is a yellow tint on white problem in the corners but it might be just the odd monitor as i am not to sure if everyone is getting this ?

does the s2721 have sRGB emulation in the setting ?

Associate
OP
It is a lot less Vs the S2417DG which is pretty bad but I put up with it. The S2721DGF blacks are really nice and black with almost no bleed , for example in Destiny 2 game in shadow areas it looks fantastic
Hi mate what's the blacks like compared to the u2719d I noticed I lose some detail in blacks with the dell u2719d unless I use standard but I don't like using that setting as it washes the blacks out. I tried custom but I bought a calibrator to try and sort that out.

My older ten year old Samsung gives me about the same blacks but does not loses the highlights in dark shadows. I tried a video of terminator salvation on YouTube and paused the part where she's in Bed and you see a close up of her face and a lot of shadow highlights are missing on the dell unless I use the gfx card brightness to 8 which pulls a little more out.

Just bought a monitor calibration kit.

Back
Top Bottom