New Dell IPS S2721DGF 165hz gaming monitor

Associate
OP
so you all keeping yours with the yellow tint ?

I have three u2719D and i had to send 2 back for replacment for bad light bleed as my first one is very good but has a littile but the other two, jesus how they made it out the factory i never know. I am tempted to go for three of these if the next two u2719d are no good but i am not to sure on this yellow tint as that would wind me up as well.

not only that the U2719d are supposed to be there high end models this is why i am asking about these as they seem to be in the same price mark.

Associate
OP
How do you test got this yellow tint? I will check my unit this evening.

just display a full white image to check abd see if its ok. otheres would guide you better as they have the monitor i dont.

the thing that realy gets to me is i got 3 dell u2719d and one is spot one and the other two light bleed is a joke, it is normal to get some light bleed but jesus it was bad on two of them.

what i foiund was the two that was bad was built in march 2020 and the good one was built in june 2020. so check your back light bleed in a dark room to.

Associate
OP
I’m getting quite a lot of glow in the bottom left corner of the screen. Really not if i should try and get it replaced.

I know its not the same monitor but i bought a triple monitor setup of the dell u2719D as i hate the light bleed and what you pay for its a joke as i know you can get 98% good ones.

I bought 3 two went back, one of the monitors is 98% perfect so kept that one. The two replacments i got one is going back but the other one is 98% perfect so kept that one so i have two good ones so far.

Waiting for the other replacment, Had 5 so far and out of the 5 two of the monitors are 98% spot on the third i have at the moment i prob could live with it as its in the corner but i can not help think i can get another 98% good one.

the thing is you pay as much money and i just can not keep somthing like that, but i now have two thats spot on.

another thing to note is the brighter you have the monitor the more you can see it as it shows it up more as your pumping more light but i calibrated mine to get 120cd/m2 which is still very bright and makes my 2% light bleed go away or very hard to see. but like i said my third monitor still has it more in the top and does not matter what brightness setting you have it at you can clearly still see it so that is getting a replacment.

Anyone who wants a triple or dual setup should buy a calibrator kit as i got the i1display pro plus as i noticed when calibrating the monitors which are identical model monitors

All three monitors 100% Red
GREEN Monitor 1 94%, Monitor 2 95%, Monitor 3 97%
BLUE Monitor1 98%, Monitor 2 100%, Monitor 3 99%

the dells seem to lack in RED and the green and blue needs adjusting so it might be the same for the S2721DGF

The One big adjustment was the brightness
Monitor 1 27%, Monitor 2 26%, Monitor 3 31%

one monitor is 27% and the other one 31% and there both at 120cd/m2 and i thought that was a massive settings difference but just goes to show you how the same monitors can be out by.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks for the clarification, I don't think saturated colors will be a problem for my office use so it's perfect.

As I said before, my biggest (and yes, also probably most stupid) fear was that this gamer screen would not be suitable for office use, causing more eye pains... Yes I know, that sounds like an urban legend :) But thanks to the relevance of all the answers that have been given previously I realize that I should stop worrying ^^

I Just bought 3 U2719D and i am very happy with them. I bought them becasue i do some photoshop work and the new S2721DGF does not have a sRGB emulation mode and i would have bought some if they did. Also i never used a High refresh monitor so i am not used to one so 60hz is still fine for me. Also higher refresh will need a better GFX card to push thoese higher refresh rates and 1440p res.

I like the button layout and very slim all round bezels of the u2719D plus it has full rotation and full sRGB. I dont game a lot on the pc just here and there and 60hz is good enough for me as i play more on my xbox one soon to be sereis x on my 65" Oled. Plus i think all new games anout 90% of them will be still 60hz anyway on the new consoles

The thing is if you have never used a high refresh monitor you will never miss it until you do use one and you will never go back. I had this problem when I had a CRT back in the day when monitors where 60hz and the top end ones where about 75hz to 85hz refresh and when i went back and tried a 60hz i could see the flicker and i hated it. So the thing is if you use a high refresh monitor and then go use a different computer with a lower one you will hate it.

i found this video amusing as he says this very thing and i use a lot of different computers at work and home and around i will stick to the 60hz for now as i dont mind it at all. plus 4k monitors are still 60hz so they are still trying to catch up. TVs this year are just starting to use higher refresh rates but i still think its going to be years before high refresh rate will be the norm.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKkzq39rXxg

but its all up to you at the end of the day, I will go high refresh rate when monitors start to imporve as they never have over the past 10 years i have had LCD as TN,IPS and VA panels all have the same problems like viewing angles and glow and other things but its only the refresh rate that has improved. I am wating for microLED displays and they will be about 5 to 8 years away yet.

At the end of the day it whats best for you.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I came form three samsung 24" 1200p res monitors and got three u2719d and the anti refelct coating is much better on the dells, much less grain to it and also the text is razor sharp. Just to point out i can read smaller text better on the dell compaird to my samsung as its a higher DPI meaning the text was bigger on the samsung and smaller on the dells and i could read it better on the dells which was strange but must be down to how good the screens are.

The U2919D and s2721DGF use the same anti reflect coating.
Screen Coating
Anti-glare, 3H Hard Coating

Associate
OP
I think most of the dell screens these days use practically the same coating tbh. Most likely the same.
The U2719D is a 8-bit panel so technically not as capable as the S2721DGF for image editing either. Provided of course, that you have some calibration tool. Both my S2721DGF's reach way above 100% srgb.

wrong,

sRGB. That standard remains by far the dominant colour format for Windows, Xbox, PlayStation, Switch, and every other gaming platform you can think of. Game developers create graphic assets in sRGB with almost none even considering other color space definitions. The format reached its max potential with 8-bit, 16.7 million colours.

Major movie studios created a much wider color gamut called DCI-P3 & with 10-bit, 1.07 billion colours. While sRBG is standard definition, DCI-P3 and its relative Rec. 2020 were created for ultra HD and HDR movies

If you want a bottom line right now, it’s that sRGB works fine for gaming because games are created with sRGB by default. Unlike movies, TV shows, and design, where DCI-P3 and other wide gamut formats have become the norm. However, while sRGB definitely suffices for gaming, DCI-P3 may be up your alley because it saturates colors and some people enjoy that effect.

Good monitors with DCI-P3 will have a sRGB emulation mode to fix the over satarated colours for that type of work.

also all sRGB monitors are 8 bit these S2721DGF are not true 10bit they are 8-bit + FRC (FRC is a type of dithering to approximate the extra colors.) so not real 10bit as they would cost way more than these if they where true 10bit.

also calibration of a screen you can not reduce the colours to make it sRGB you have to calibrate the screen for the type that it is.

Back
Top Bottom