New essential Android apps thread

Soldato
I'm starting to get really ****** off with Firefox for Android lately because of the completely unnecessary decisions Mozilla are taking.

Firstly, I'm absolutely happy to run the stable release of the browser but they've removed the ability to enter more advanced settings via about:config (I want to enable DNS over HTTPs and eSNI), to do that you have to use either the beta or the nightly. Clearly beta and nightly software will come with bugs by the very nature of their purpose but I'm having to use them because they removed about:config.

Now I've completely lost track of which of the three browsers have which bugs, but across the three I'm experiencing the soft keyboard not dismissing after typing in a URL, or text entry into rich text boxes such as on these forums completely messing up. Heck even eSNI is broken in the latest nightly after previously working despite the exact same config working in the beta.

Plus there's the fact add-ons aren't available across all three browsers. Nightly you can create add-on collections to get any add-on you want but this isn't supported in the beta (I like the LocalCDN add-on that hasn't been enabled by Mozilla for mobile yet).

Some of these bugs have existed in both the beta and nightly for at least a month now and I consider the keyboard and text entry bugs to be pretty severe considering how frequently I'm typing URLs and comments on thr web...

There aren't really any other browsers out there that give you add-on support, yes there's Kiwi but it's a hacky approach and as such, add-ons don't function as they should. Try using uBlock's dashboard in Kiwi vs in Firefox and you'll see what I mean.

Just a rant I guess but in a world where the market is dominated by Chrome or Chromium based browsers, Mozzila aren't helping themselves.

Soldato
I've noticed the same issue with uBlock Origin on FF too, the dashboard doesn't work if you're trying to whitelist/block certain parts of the site. I did try to move back to Kiwi and also played with Edge but the old v77 base on both of these aren't that smooth compared to the latest chromium base. I'm currently using Vivaldi as I can add my own filter lists but I miss my other add-ons.

Looking for a free or low one off cost for remote control of a android to another android.

Planning to leave an android phone in a relatives house which is on the network there and can connect to the smart TV and cast things to it, control volume etc.

the phone won't ever be controlled from the person's house, so it needs to work remotely without the need to load up and connect from both phones.

Soldato
Yep but unfortunately not for gifs and videos etc

Just checked, you're right, I can full screen the vid to prompt the download button to appear but it does nothing. Seems like a pretty bad bug. The Imgur app has been going downhill for a while now and I have yet to find a good alternative for the site. Not even the mobile site is good to use.

Soldato
Hi guys,

Probably old news, but I use Nova Launcher with TeslaUnread - mainly to get WhatsApp message counts and I've noticed that Play Protect has started flagging it as a security vulnerability... I know its not on the Play Store anymore but have I got anything to worry about?

If I have, are there any alternatives?

Thanks.

Associate
Hi Slipd, do you have nova prime ? if not then the notification badges are not available. On my prime without tesla unread I can get notification badges, then a choice of dynamic or dots or numeric dots which show the number of messages etc.
It is the same for me on both stable and beta version of nova.

Soldato
It's not needed any more. Go into Nova settings -> Notification badges and the option is still there. Just make sure to allow Nova notification access when prompt.
Yep, I've tried that... restarted etc., to no avail. On Tesla you could actually manage individual apps, with only Nova it seems to be all or nothing. I can't even get Gmail to show badges without Tesla :(

Soldato
Hi Slipd, do you have nova prime ? if not then the notification badges are not available. On my prime without tesla unread I can get notification badges, then a choice of dynamic or dots or numeric dots which show the number of messages etc.
It is the same for me on both stable and beta version of nova.
I have the paid version of everything, sure.

Soldato
The issue is TeslaUnread is no longer maintained, and uses permissions Google no longer allows: https://help.teslacoilapps.com/teslaunread

It's the SMS and call log permissions that's most likely flagging up the security vulnerability, Google has been tightening up their apps with certain permissions and only allows a whitelist to be on the Play store.

You could always contact the developer and see if they could maybe port the individual app management to the new version of Nova which is currently in beta. It's a complete rewrite finally moving away from the Launcher2 base to Launcher3.

Associate
... the new version of Nova which is currently in beta. It's a complete rewrite finally moving away from the Launcher2 base to Launcher3.

Ah is that why I keep getting the stock launcher popping up every now and then at the moment? It seems to have died down a bit more recently but a few weeks ago I'd get the stock launcher showing up every time. I don't think I'm on a beta release though so I'm surprised a bug like that made it through to the release version.

Soldato
Ah is that why I keep getting the stock launcher popping up every now and then at the moment? It seems to have died down a bit more recently but a few weeks ago I'd get the stock launcher showing up every time. I don't think I'm on a beta release though so I'm surprised a bug like that made it through to the release version.

That's a completely different problem. The stable release has not been updated for a good while. I've not had that issue pop up on both my OP7TP and S5e. What phone do you have?

Back
Top Bottom