New essential Android apps thread

Soldato
So in the process of setting up my new phone and figured might as well see if anything 'new' is out there..

I don't need social media etc and I've already got most of the basics covered, although recommendations for email and pdf viewer wouldn't hurt.

Are there any suggestions for any 'utilities' and the likes I might find useful. I've already got a 'unit conversion' program and 'offline maps' (Car has sat nav but still useful imo, plus I've got some dead signal areas here)

Soldato
you can offline areas in google maps which is pretty helpful.
I know but you still need to have access to data to get that in the first place, which is fine if you know you might need it but the fully offline sat nav is purely an 'emergency option' type of thing and for the sake of about a gig of storage (probably less) it's worth having imo.

Soldato
Nine mail and Pdf Viewer Plus is what I settled on.

But... don't you need data for the other offline map to download to your phone in the first place? Plus you can set Google Maps to download the entire country beforehand, just like any other sat nav.

Soldato
which times machine did you use to go back to 2008?
Its called Norfolk...Seriously there are still dead spots for data near where I live, hell I have to be selective on my provider due to some not even giving a signal for telephone calls in some areas.... and yes I know it's 2022, sadly the mobile companies don't. And don't trust the maps they show on their sites, they're not accurate.

@Orcvader Unless things have changed the details on a full country download on google maps would be just the 'major roads'... oh and I do have decent internet at home :p

I'll check out the other apps though thanks :)

Man of Honour
@Orcvader Unless things have changed the details on a full country download on google maps would be just the 'major roads'... oh and I do have decent internet at home :p
just grabbed all of east anglia and it came in at 146mb, seems to include most of the small roads and from the looks of it some business info, pretty sure it wastn' that good before :)

Soldato
Associate
I finally got round to downloading K9 but for some reason i can't setup my Gmail account i keep getting setup could not finish Username or Password incorrect.

Edit: I see you have to setup 2 step verification in the gmail account.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom