new F3 - some bad blocks

Associate
I've had one seagate (failed after 2 years) one samsung (2 weeks old and fine so far) and one WD black (sent back within 2 days of receipt)

All the manufacturers have similar return rates - quibbling over which ones seem to be better isn't going to make a lot of difference.

If it's not perfect on receipt - send it back within 7 days under the distance selling. If it's within 1 year send it back under warranty and kick up a fuss. If it's after that, stand your ground and kick up a bigger fuss.

Hard drive manufacturers seem to let minor faults slide, even though the law states that a product must be free from "major AND minor defects". Remember that "fit for purpose" doesn't just mean "works when I got it" - it also means that it should last as long as most people would expect from a piece of electronics which costs that amount.

People aren't willing enough to take them on; the assumption is that "I've had it a while, they won't care" which simply isn't the case.

Can't type for toffee
Don
thanks but its only a week old so it falls under OcUK's responsibility ;) bad luck guys.

As above

In most cases as long as its under 1yr old it's down to the retailer, this is why most state on longer warranties that first year is with "store" and remainder with manufacturer.

I also had a yellow highlighted valud on a HDTune helthcheck, the number iirc referred to nothing in particular.
I plan on scanning it every now and again just to check but it being in a raid array doesnt really help as it won't seem to allow me to scan individual drives in it :(

Last edited:
Associate
I've had plenty of WD's fail on me over the years, same with Seagates, Maxtors, Hitachi, Samsungs.
Unless you can give me some independantly verified statistics proving WD are significantly more reliable as far as i'm concerned all their consumer 7200rpm drives are about the same.

Well I haven't, and neither has my work place where there are over 50 WD drives, and nor has my local computer shop.

All you have to do is look around this forum and you'll see that most people saying they've either got bad blocks/DOA/dead after x amount of time are to do with Samsung drives. I've seen maybe 2 or 3 people saying they've had a faulty WD drive out of dozens of threads, and maybe 5 dodgy Seagates.

I've had one seagate (failed after 2 years) one samsung (2 weeks old and fine so far) and one WD black (sent back within 2 days of receipt)

All the manufacturers have similar return rates - quibbling over which ones seem to be better isn't going to make a lot of difference.

If it's not perfect on receipt - send it back within 7 days under the distance selling. If it's within 1 year send it back under warranty and kick up a fuss. If it's after that, stand your ground and kick up a bigger fuss.

Hard drive manufacturers seem to let minor faults slide, even though the law states that a product must be free from "major AND minor defects". Remember that "fit for purpose" doesn't just mean "works when I got it" - it also means that it should last as long as most people would expect from a piece of electronics which costs that amount.

People aren't willing enough to take them on; the assumption is that "I've had it a while, they won't care" which simply isn't the case.

Six years the Sale of Goods Act states. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
All you have to do is look around this forum and you'll see that most people saying they've either got bad blocks/DOA/dead after x amount of time are to do with Samsung drives. I've seen maybe 2 or 3 people saying they've had a faulty WD drive out of dozens of threads, and maybe 5 dodgy Seagates.

That doesn't mean anything without knowing how many of each brand were sold. I'm pretty certain that Samsungs are the most popular brand on these forums at the moment so I'd expect more problems.

Associate
That doesn't mean anything without knowing how many of each brand were sold. I'm pretty certain that Samsungs are the most popular brand on these forums at the moment so I'd expect more problems.

Looking around these forums and people's signatures, it is true that a larger proportion of Samsung drives are owned by people on these forums. However, a fair few people own Seagate drives as well as WD drives, so if I were to estimate a ratio, I'd say it'd look something like out of every 10 hard drives sold, 5 would be Samsung's, 3 would be WD and 2 would be Seagate.
I'm going on what I've seen, so these numbers are only my estimate.
Disagree with me or not, I still maintain that the number of Samsung owners reporting bad blocks/faulty hard drives is way too high and unacceptable for my liking, even though Samsung MAY sell a larger amount of drives.

On another point, I've noticed you have an Intel SSD. I'm thinking of getting one soon. Are you happy with yours? Good performance increase?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom