New Focus Very Poor MPG

Soldato
of course, real mpg that the manufacturers give are inflated tyres, straight rolling road, lub'd engine at 56 - 60 mph.

How many of us drive like that ? :)

Pinch of salt, but a good rough comparison against vehicles.

Actually it's an independent lab that does it on behalf of the manufacturer and the faster portion of the New European Drive Cycle manages a heady 39mph average and 70mph max for a whole 4 seconds.

Associate
My 61 plate Focus 2.0TDCI (140PS I think) has around 41500 miles on the clock and is currently sitting at 48.1 MPG and rising slowly. That's 90% motorway/NSL A roads and I'll generally stick to speed limits although I like to get to the limit pretty swiftly sometimes.

Soldato
Last 1.6 diesel focus I drove I averaged circa 30mpg over A roads and motorway....poor car.

50ish MPG sounds about right tbh, will maybe creep up after a few thousand miles but not massively so

Soldato
Actually it's an independent lab that does it on behalf of the manufacturer and the faster portion of the New European Drive Cycle manages a heady 39mph average and 70mph max for a whole 4 seconds.

I bet 39 average is much higher than most peoples usage. I drive almost entirely on NSL roads and my average speed hovers around 34mph. Urban driving would see that plummet.

Soldato
My CX-5 has done around the same number of miles in similar conditions and is sitting around 45mpg (against claimed 60+).
Weirdly it did hit around 51mpg on a 100mile trip from london to dorset (tesco diesel) using cruise control set to around 75mph however I've since not been able to duplicate those sort of figures.
Guess its still running in but if things arent improved when it hits 5k miles I'll be a little concerned.

Caporegime
( |-| |2 ][ $;24591719 said:
My 1.8T Petrol does about 26 MPG real world and I love over taking 2.0TDIs

You must have a heavy right foot. My 1.8t 180HP usually does around about 30-32 MPG average according to the OBC but the current tankful is showing 35 thanks to an extended Motorway run. If I can keep off the loud pedal I'm hoping for 350 miles+ from this tank.

I seem to get better MPG running at 70mph than 60 as well. Something to do with the turbo I'm guessing.

Man of Honour

It's usually done at the manufacturer, witnessed by the right body for EU stuff, but it may as well be done elsewhere if the OEM doesn't have a dyno to use.

The big issue with the NEDC is that it just isn't representative now, and that cars with all the additional technology do well on these tests, but don't get anywhere near the certified values (I think it's something like 20% out these days on average).

There's plenty of big proposals to move to the WLTP drive cycle in the not too distant future, but nobody can decide on the fine details.
stop start on my civic loses mpg !!!
I really doubt that, unless you're stopping then straight away moving off again all the time.

Soldato
You must have a heavy right foot. My 1.8t 180HP usually does around about 30-32 MPG average according to the OBC but the current tankful is showing 35 thanks to an extended Motorway run. If I can keep off the loud pedal I'm hoping for 350 miles+ from this tank.

I seem to get better MPG running at 70mph than 60 as well. Something to do with the turbo I'm guessing.

OBC is a compulsive liar on these cars.

400 miles a tank = 34mpg

After a fair bit of tweaking i get c.34mpg average now, motorway use exceeds 40mpg with cruise control set to 75 when possible but going up to 80-85 when necessary (ie not driving like a tard causing lorries to overtake and block the motorway)

Soldato
On the concept of stop start...

You're supposed to let a turbo cool for a minute or two, if you've just been hammering it around and stop at some lights, it turns off! Can envisage many a turbo going pop due to this

Soldato
Totally different car and whatnot, but I had an Astra ecoFlex from brand new, 2009 model, and it's mpg was terrible until about 5000 miles, probably 6/7k miles before it really freed up. I'd expect it to get significantly better seeing as you're only at 2k miles.

Soldato
On the concept of stop start...

You're supposed to let a turbo cool for a minute or two, if you've just been hammering it around and stop at some lights, it turns off! Can envisage many a turbo going pop due to this

i expect the vast majority of drivers with turbos will switch the engine off without any consideration anyway.

i knew a guy who work on diesel train engines (for generators) and someone came up with a mcdonalds money saving tip to shut down engines as they went though lower speed limits

the fuel saving was calculated and software changed to switch certain engines off at certain times

the fuel saving was totally demolished by the cost of replacement engine parts, mostly turbos

Permabanned
OP
Probably needs more miles on the clock then hopefully. 48 is ok but would have thought it would be better mid 50s id be happy with when I get it to 10k.

Stop start is very useful I know the car when idle with stop start off burns next to no fuel but its a good feeling with it on no fuel does! Just can be a bit strange people look at you and they think ha he has stalled the thing lol!!!

Brilliant car is the new Focus :)

Soldato
I ran a 1.5 diesel Megane for 30k miles in 2.5 years mostly Motorway and A-Road and averaged 56mpg over that time without much trouble. Would frequently see 60-65mpg on a run with those figures there pretty much from the outset.

Back
Top Bottom