New gaming laptop - and old laptop valuation

Associate
Afternoon all.

I came here for advice three years ago, and now I'm back.

I bought a MSI Ghost Pro (GS60 2PE) from Overclockers, and in January it gave up the ghost. I told the repair center it was a motherboard issue, they fixed a) the hard drive cable, b) the hard drive and finally c) fresh windows install.

After sending it back for the last time, they agreed it was a motherboard and is beyond economic repair. I'm now haggling with the insurance dept to agree on a settlement (I didn't read the policy, didn't realise they'd knock down the settlement price). They've offered me £740. The laptop was in mint condition (I still had the protective plastic on the lid!), and after scouring ebay etc I've tried to get a better idea of what a replacement would cost.

So, I'm asking - What do you think would be a fair value to ask for a settlement. And what laptop should I go for next. I love the form factor of the Ghost, and there's a high possibility I'll be spending 4 months in Norway this summer so portability is a big factor. But a little more power along the lines of a 1070 would be nice too. I found the 870 really struggled on newer games.

No budget to speak of, I have at least 740 coming from the insurers, so maybe another grand on top?

What about other brands? Are the build quality on the Gigabyte/Aorus as good/better than MSI? I'm now wary of failure in components etc. And obviously I'll be looking at new insurers as well...

Thanks

Last edited:
AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
Afternoon all.

I came here for advice three years ago, and now I'm back.

I bought a MSI Ghost Pro (GS60 2PE) from Overclockers, and in January it gave up the ghost. I told the repair center it was a motherboard issue, they fixed a) the hard drive cable, b) the hard drive and finally c) fresh windows install.

After sending it back for the last time, they agreed it was a motherboard and is beyond economic repair. I'm now haggling with the insurance dept to agree on a settlement (I didn't read the policy, didn't realise they'd knock down the settlement price). They've offered me £740. The laptop was in mint condition (I still had the protective plastic on the lid!), and after scouring ebay etc I've tried to get a better idea of what a replacement would cost.

So, I'm asking - What do you think would be a fair value to ask for a settlement. And what laptop should I go for next. I love the form factor of the Ghost, and there's a high possibility I'll be spending 4 months in Norway this summer so portability is a big factor. But a little more power along the lines of a 1070 would be nice too. I found the 870 really struggled on newer games.

No budget to speak of, I have at least 740 coming from the insurers, so maybe another grand on top?

What about other brands? Are the build quality on the Gigabyte/Aurous as good/better than MSI? I'm now wary of failure in components etc. And obviously I'll be looking at new insurers as well...

Thanks

Hi NanimalMother,

Hopefully the below links can give you an insight into similar uhnits from a form factor perspective, with a couple of additional features:

P35X - Aluminium Slim Chassis - 15.6" FHD or UHD IPS , i7, GTX1070 (8G), 256SSD + 1TB, 16GB ram, DVD R/W or Blu-ray R/W (Hot-swappable with supplied HDD/SSD caddy)

Or if mobility, power and battery life are of equal importance for your travels, the worth taking a look at the AERO14 products:

AERO 14 - Aluminium Slim Cassis - 14" QHD , i7, GTX1060 (6GB) 512GB SSD, 16GB ram, Win10 PRO - 10 hour battery life

The AORUS range is more over budget from what you say, but we will highlight a unit that is a bit of a bargain (was £2,099) and may meet or exceed your needs - certainly gives you the power and portability:

AORUS X5S @ £1,799

Hope that helps out a bit and we are confident that the build quality of either of our brands will be sufficiently high to satisfy :) Plenty of end user feedback and comments on the forums and media web sites.

A recent new customer, reviewed AORUS X5 here

Any Q's please let us know.

Regards,

Gigabyte UK NB Team

Associate
OP
Hi @Atom80

I've managed to squeeze a bit more out of the insurers, and have been looking at the X5 V7. Other than SSD size and an extra 16gb of RAM, is there any other difference between CF1 and CF2? Also, is there a release date? Or a release window at least? I'm off to Norway at some point in May for 4 months, I'd like to pre-order one, but that's no use if I've already left by then.

Appreciate your help, thanks!

Last edited:
AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
Hi @Atom80

I've managed to squeeze a bit more out of the insurers, and have been looking at the X5 V7. Other than SSD size and an extra 16gb of RAM, is there any other difference between CF1 and CF2? Also, is there a release date? Or a release window at least? I'm off to Norway at some point in May for 4 months, I'd like to pre-order one, but that's no use if I've already left by then.

Appreciate your help, thanks!

Got ya !

Hi again NanimalMother - the window looks like it will be close to your time of travel....

Fingers crossed we can fulfil your needs before you travel.

Regards,

Team AORUS

Back
Top Bottom