New Gaming PC! Alienware?

Associate
OP
Hi thanks for the replies! So far my build looks like this:

GTX 780ti
One of the new Intel i7k (when released)
Z97 1150 motherboard
Corsair Vengeance 8gb (2x4gb)
Corsair M500 240gb
Seagate Barracuda 2tb hard drive
Corsair RM850 PSU
Corsair H100i
A case - maybe the 750d or phantom
Windows 7
DVD drive

This came to approximately £1350 which is over budget. Although do you reckon it is worth the extra? I could settle for the gtx 780 although in your opinion would it be worth the extra for the 780 ti. From the results I have seen in testing it seems to be, but how does it do in real world performance? I had budgeted to buy two monitors now, one 144hz and one 60hz. If the build is worth the money I could get just the 144hz one now and the 60hz one at a later date.

Many thanks,
Alex

Associate
OP
Hi I'm really looking to be able to max out games such as Battlefield 4 and Crysis 3. I primarily play fps and rpgs and would also like my build to be able to handle future releases so that I don't have to upgrade in the near future.

Many thanks,
Alex

Soldato
Hi I'm really looking to be able to max out games such as Battlefield 4 and Crysis 3. I primarily play fps and rpgs and would also like my build to be able to handle future releases so that I don't have to upgrade in the near future.

Many thanks,
Alex

I would maybe change the psu to the EVGA Supernova as it has a 10 year warranty. Also the Samsung Evo is a better SSD than the Corsair one, although it costs a bit more.

You could swap the gpu for a 290X as it offers similar performance to a 780ti but is a fair bit cheaper. Obviously if you want Physx then stick with Nvidia.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies! I haven't really considered a Radeon GPU but will certainly have a look considering it's half the price. Which case would not suit the H100i? I was also considering the HAF X which seems to get great reviews. Any suggestions? As for the SSD I'll look into the Samsung EVO. How do the Intel SSDs compare?

Many thanks,
Alex

Associate
OP
Hi all! I've been doing a bit of research around the new intel processors and is the i7 4790k the one everyone was talking about? 4 cores and clocked at 4ghz out of the box sounds perfect for gaming. However does anyone have an idea of roughly what it would cost? With that processor on a decent Z97 motherboard my build is going to be around £1500. Since I'm going to have to wait for the processor to become available I have time to save the extra money but do you think it would be worth it?

Many thanks,
Alex

Associate
YOUR BASKET
1 x Sapphire Radeon R9 290X Tri-X 4096MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card (11226-03-40G) £399.95
1 x Samsung 250GB SSD 840 EVO SATA 6Gb/s Desktop Kit - (MZ-7TE250KW) £149.99
1 x ReFlex Asus Z97 - Intel Core i5 4670K @ 4.2GHz Configurable Gaming Bundle £111.02
1 x Prolimatech 48 CPU Cooler - 92mm £21.95
1 x Kingston HyperX 8GB (2x4GB) PC3-17100C11 2133MHz Dual Channel Kit - Black/Gold (HX21C11BGK2/8-OC) £65.99
1 x Intel Core i7-4770K 3.50GHz (Haswell) Socket LGA1150 Processor - OEM £245.99
1 x Standard Build Laptops - Approximately 3 to 5 working days £0
1 x SuperFlower Leadex GOLD 750W Fully Modular "80 Plus Gold" Power Supply - Black £99.95
1 x Corsair Carbide 540 High Airflow ATX Cube Case - Black (CC-9011030-WW) £98.95
1 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache - OEM (ST2000DM001) HDD £59.99
1 x Pioneer 24x Internal DVR-221LBK DVD Rewriter - OEM £13.49
Total : £1,282.26 (includes shipping : £12.50).

Maybe something like this pre oced you don't have to worry about doing a thing just slot it in and go. ofc OCer's will be doing these bundles with the neww processors when they come out :)

you can get cheaper buy having a smaller ssd but I wouldn't recommend any smaller than a 250gb for gaming as windows OS on its own is over 60 gbs updated, my friend has a 120gb and he can only have titan fall on it, rest of his games are on his other drive and do not benefit from the speed.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi all! I've been doing a bit of research around the new intel processors and is the i7 4790k the one everyone was talking about? 4 cores and clocked at 4ghz out of the box sounds perfect for gaming. However does anyone have an idea of roughly what it would cost? With that processor on a decent Z97 motherboard my build is going to be around £1500. Since I'm going to have to wait for the processor to become available I have time to save the extra money but do you think it would be worth it?

Many thanks,
Alex

Yes the i7 4790K is the upcoming refresh 'k' cpu. There is also an i5 4690K as well.

I have no idea on pricing, but if you look at Ivybridge 1155 and Haswell 1150 'k' cpu's there isn't a huge difference in price, maybe £10 or so.

I would probably wait a few weeks just to make sure they are definitely delayed before deciding.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies! I'll definitely wait to see the i7 4790k and if its pricing is reasonable go for that. I'm thinking buying the latest processor and motherboard would be beneficial in the long run.

Thanks for the heads up on the over clockers bundles. I'll take a look when the 4790k is released. However I would enjoy building the computer myself and could probably save money buying the parts so will most likely end up doing that.

My build is looking pretty complete I just need to decide on the motherboard and which version of the GTX 780ti to get. Is it best to get the same brand gpu and motherboard? If not how do I go about deciding which brand?

Many thanks,
Alex

Associate
OP
I do believe I have completed my build :D

** Linking to competitors is strictly prohibited - Please read FAQs regarding rules **

I decided 1000W was probably overkill even for when I eventually get 2 780tis so switched out for the AX860i which I've read is meant to be one of the best. Do you agree? Also went for the Hero motherboard as suggested here! The processor is the 4770k for reference but will be the 4790k when released.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated,

Alex

Soldato
As above, that case is a bit of a waste of money. You can do a lot better for a 1/3 price (Corsair 540)

The psu is also overpriced. Get yourself a EVGA Supernova G2 850W

The Motherboard is a Z87. You should be getting a Z97 board to be honest.

Soldato
YOUR BASKET
1 x Asus Maximus VII Hero Intel Z97 (Socket 1150) DDR3 ATX Motherboard £164.99
1 x EVGA SuperNova G2 850W '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply £107.99
1 x Corsair Carbide 540 High Airflow ATX Cube Case - Black (CC-9011030-WW) £98.95
Total : £386.03 (includes shipping : £11.75).

The psu has a huge 10 year warranty.

You could also get a cheaper board such as the Gigabyte Gaming 3 which comes with a free corsair headset.

YOUR BASKET
1 x Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 3 Intel Z97 (Socket 1150) DDR3 ATX Motherboard £109.99
Total : £119.59 (includes shipping : £8.00).

Oh and the Samsung Evo is a better SSD.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Hi thanks for the quick replies. Sorry about posting competitor prices thats the website I have been using since I don't know how to do the over clockers basket link.

The motherboard was meant to be the VII Maximus hero as stated which is Z97. I've already got a set of Astro A40s so no need for another headset, I'm looking for the best board available.

As for the case I know it's expensive and heavy but I really like the design and the features such as the lower drive bay and hot swap bays, which I will find useful for backing up. The problem I'm having with the cheaper cases such as the 750D, Phantom and HAF X is that the build quality is nowhere near as good and to me the internal design doesn't seem anywhere near as 'clean'. As for the PSU should I be looking at the G2 or P2 from EVGA. I'm guessing the P2? :)

Many thanks,
Alex

Soldato
The EVGA psu is the one in my basket above, the G2 version.

If you want the Asus board then go for the Z97 one at least.

What don't you like about the Corsair build quality ? :confused:

The 540 has one of the cleanest internals. The psu and drive bays are all in a separate compartment. You only have the motherboard, gpu's and cooler in the main part, although you do have the option of floor mounting HDD/SSD in the main compartment.

If you google 'Hot swap bay' you can buy an internal 5.25 hot swap rack. Some do both SSD and HDD.

Associate
OP
Hi thanks for the reply! I'll get the G2 PSU saves me £50 over the Corsair one which is a bonus. Yes I'll definitely go for the Z97 VII HERO. I did originally mean to add that one but accidentally added the older VI.

The 540 is a good idea but the rear compartment looks too unorganised for my liking. I'm really looking for a well designed case thats at least full tower size and am happy to have an ultra tower. as well Thanks for the heads up on 5.25 hot swap bays though that could definitely open up some case options. I would like a cheaper case however I'm just yet to find one that in my opinion looks anywhere near as good as the Cosmos 2. Any suggestions would be great!

Many thanks,
Alex

Back
Top Bottom