• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

New GPU is causing PC to hard reset when under stress

Associate
I've run a few tests and I've encountered a problem since installing my second hand GTX 3080.

All of the benchmark tests I ran were fine and showed good results. All apart from the 3d Mark demo test. About 3 minutes in, my PC hard resets. No BSOD, just a reset.

I tried running a few games and they all run fine. Until I ran Darktide on max settings. 5 minutes into a game and my PC hard resets.

All temperature states look absolutely fine. I suspect it's the PSU. Also, the drivers are all up to date and everything else worked before I put the new card in.

MOBO: B350 Carbon
CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x
RAM: 32 GB DDR4
PSU: CORSAIR 750
GPU: GTX 3080 10gb

Any thoughts?

Associate
First thought myself is perhaps the psu, maybe only certain games/benchmarks stress the gpu enough that causes the psu to trip with a large spike in power draw or something

Just curious any overclock on the cpu or anything? Have you checked event viewer etc to see if anything shows up just before the crash ?

Soldato
The 3xxx and 4xxx series Nvidia gpus caused much bigger transient spikes during loads that caused many PSU issues, not the same PSU (you need to check what specific model you have and check if others had the same issue), but I had this exact thing on a Seasonic PSU and had to upgrade.

Man of Honour
a good quality 750w psu will handle a 5800x + 3080 easily so i wouldn't be too quick to blame the psu

i ran a 5900x (now a 5800x3d) + 3080 with a 750w psu
it's an xpg core reactor which is basically the same internals as the higher tier corsair units (CWT OEM and also uses the same cabling :cry: )

Soldato
a good quality 750w psu will handle a 5800x + 3080 easily so i wouldn't be too quick to blame the psu

i ran a 5900x (now a 5800x3d) + 3080 with a 750w psu
it's an xpg core reactor which is basically the same internals as the higher tier corsair units (CWT OEM and also uses the same cabling :cry: )
It entirely depends on age though due to the transient spike stuff :) mine was an 850W Seasonic Gold, but from 2013 (my mate with the same psu had the same issue), newer PSU's are a lot better in regards to this though so if it's new it may not be the case!

Man of Honour
Last edited:
Soldato
Had exactly the same on my old 3090FE and 1000W seasonic… it was transients causing the OCP to kick in, even on such a large PSU.

I could prevent it by undervolting the 3090 slightly without any performance loss.

Since moving to the 4090FE it’s been solid, apparently transients are much better controlled in the 4000 series.

Last edited:
Soldato
A bit of googling seems that quiet a few reports of hard crashing in this game even from people with 1200w psu's so maybe its driver related, some people even say updating the bios fixed it.

Associate
..., how many PCIe power cables are you running from the PSU to the GPU? One thing you must not do is use the same power cable for both power connectors on the GPU.

I would try this before trying anything else. Does your GTX 3080 have two or three 8-pin power connectors? If you are running a single cable from the PSU with two 8pin connectors, try running two cables, one for each connector on the card. See if that resolves the issue.

Associate
My old Seasonic 650W PSU couldn’t handle the transient spikes of my undervolted 3080 FE and undervolted 5800X, so a 1000W PSU solved my problem.

Last edited:
Associate
Is your PSU multi rail as that could be the problem and has caught out quite a few peeps. I always buy a single rail PSU from super flower or EVGA on my builds for friends and family.

Back
Top Bottom