New gym starter and routine.

Associate
Hi guys. Since September I have lost 12 stone 8 in weight I'm thinking of starting the gym but unsure what exercise is etc I need to do to keep the weight off. I'm thinking of joining my local Nuffield Health Club as they have a pool and I have an operation on my shoulder next week but can do swimming when I feel comfortable. What would be a good routine to start off to build fitness and keep the weight off. Any ideas welcome.

Soldato
You've lost 12 stone 8 in weight? that's an amazing achievement! that's like my entire body weight!, well done!

My advice would be;

You can't outrun a bad diet - learn to eat well, (minimal junk, minimal processed food) we all know how easy it is to slip into a spiral, and become part of the majority of people who put all the weight back on again 2 years later.

Try to find something you enjoy for exercise - many people start off and give up after 6 months, it's all about finding something you like that you'll stick with, I've been doing fitness classes for about 9 years straight because of the social aspect and fun factor, my other friend is a cycling addict, we've both stuck to it because we find it fun, others enjoy weight training, I used to be a competitive swimmer - but it bores me to tears now. I think Nuffield gyms are pretty decent - they offer a lot of stuff that you can try out, don't be afraid to book into different things, boxercise is great fun - as are the les mills classes, circuit training is also very good - and all the nuffield gyms have lots of these, it might half kill you the first few times, but stick with it and your fitness will get good quickly.

Learn to do it forever, as part of your life, my dad has been a lifelong runner - he had to stop and switch to cycling when he hit 75 because of his back, but he's very fit - and it's the ultimate pension payout, as aside from being caught out by bad luck - he easily has many more years ahead of him, because he made an effort to keep fit for all those years.

Soldato
Also find a gym that is nearby as it means you are more likely to go.

Think also what type of gym you want with which facilities. My wife goes to a gym in a country hotel as it is smaller, the members are there for fitness not building muscle mass and the staff are very helpful giving proper workout plans with advice.

Soldato
Really well done, amazing work.

Swimming whilst your shoulder gets better, take it easy.
Cycling machine won't work your shoulder, when the shoulder has healed, perhaps proper cycling, either mountain biking or road cycling, I prefer mountain biking as I don't trust drivers :p
5x5 strong lifts when your shoulder is better.
Also, a suspension trainer is cheap and you can do loads of bodyweight excersises, incorporate it with sprinting for a circuit style routine and you'll be bossing it.

PS..Yoga & stretching, it's very important for mobility and to keep injuries away..

Soldato
Second the suggestions to do something you enjoy. Personally I can't stand gyms.

I've been bouldering for a year now instead since I quit rugby. Nice problem solving exercise to keep the noggin working and a great all over workout. It's done wonders for the various back niggles I have from old rugby injuries.

Soldato
I had a shoulder injury and found cycling , especially mountain biking very helpful. The consultant and physio advised it would be very helpful when I asked. Best to take advice and not rush things.

Soldato
As other people have said finding something you enjoy is paramount.

If you manage to find a training programme that keeps you motivated it will even help with the diet side of things because you'll want to keep your diet in line to hit your training goals.

Stronglifts is a great place to start. I was in a similar position about 2 and a half years back although my weight loss was nowhere near as dramatic. I did find that because I'd been carrying over 100lbs for the best part of 5 years I struggled with the movements in stronglifts. I didn't have the range of motion to squat with anything resembling proper form, I was unable to deadlift without my shoulders pulling forward and arching my back - apparently that is pretty common if you've been a larger guy. You may find a need to do some research and work out stretches you can do to loosen up those muscles so you can complete the movements with proper form. I personally ended up hiring a personal trainer for 10 sessions and it was incredibly valulable as I still use a lot the mobility drills he showed me today, as well as parts of the routine he put together for me but its certainly not nessary and this forum is a great resource if you have any questions.

Tea Drinker
Don
Treat yourself to a personal trainer. I can't motivate myself as much as a PT can motivate me. You'll get twice as much out of an hour than wandering round a gym.

Or some classes.

People will mock but a crossfit gym is pretty good place to start with the lower cost than PT and small class sizes plus the motivation of others there.

Most aren't like the YouTube videos at all :)

Back
Top Bottom