New Honda CBF125. Few issues.

Associate
Afternoon All,

So I've gone and got myself my first motorbike! I've only had it a couple weeks now and I'm absolutely loving being apart of the biker community. So much easier getting around and I just find traffic fun now as I can just pass right by it.

However, I'm having an issue where the bike doesn't always want to go into gear properly. Sometimes it happens when I'm in neutral it wont kick down into 1st gear. (Releasing the clutch and pulling it back in fixes this). Also if I'm coming up to a junction in any gear higher than 3rd and I come down to 1st the bike refuses to go any lower than 2 and just stalls when I try pull away without an ungodly amount of revs. Should I be 'rolling down' the gears as I approach junctions?

Is it just something wrong with my technique which is causing this? I.e not working my way down the gears while I'm slowing down?

Cheers for any responses,
Mac

Soldato
Copying from Motors:

First gear is generally a problem on most bikes, is your clutch adjusted correctly though?

When coming up to a junction get it into first with the bike rolling, my old CBR600RR didn't like going into 1st from 2nd from a standstill. The neutral thing give the bike a few inches back and forth and it'll pop in.

Brand new bike? may just need breaking in, the gears on my R6 (new) are still a little stiff after 400miles

Soldato
Copying from Motors:

Your problem could be because you're new. You'll get the hang of it. Remember, neutral is between 1st and 2nd, so does take some getting used to. It's a full bigger 'click' than the rest of the gears.
You should come up to the junction and go down the gears on approach as you're slowing. At the end of the day it's a sequential gearbox. So for example, slowing on approach: 3rd down to 2.5k rpm -> 2nd down to 2.5k rpm -> 1st

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Copying from Motors:

First gear is generally a problem on most bikes, is your clutch adjusted correctly though?

When coming up to a junction get it into first with the bike rolling, my old CBR600RR didn't like going into 1st from 2nd from a standstill. The neutral thing give the bike a few inches back and forth and it'll pop in.

Brand new bike? may just need breaking in, the gears on my R6 (new) are still a little stiff after 400miles

It's only got 100 miles on it so yeah brand new :) Like I said if it gets stuck neutral just releasing the clutch and pulling it back in does the job. Just I got caught short over the white line yesterday holding up about 5+ cars as my bike didn't want to find 1st gear. Was probably in 3rd/4th coming up to the line.

Man of Honour
1st to N can be a tricky business on a lot of bikes I have the same problem on my YBR it's just a case of learning how your bike reacts and getting the clutch position just right.
Also when it comes to junctions and the like try not to block change your gears, plan ahead and knock them down one by one as you slow down rather than slowing right down and then trying to knock down into 1st in one big change.

Associate
OP
1st to N can be a tricky business on a lot of bikes I have the same problem on my YBR it's just a case of learning how your bike reacts and getting the clutch position just right.
Also when it comes to junctions and the like try not to block change your gears, plan ahead and knock them down one by one as you slow down rather than slowing right down and then trying to knock down into 1st in one big change.

It's probably my lazy car driving habits kicking in. Just skipping gears on the way down.

Soldato
It's only got 100 miles on it so yeah brand new :) Like I said if it gets stuck neutral just releasing the clutch and pulling it back in does the job. Just I got caught short over the white line yesterday holding up about 5+ cars as my bike didn't want to find 1st gear. Was probably in 3rd/4th coming up to the line.

1st before you stop, even if the clutch is held in the entire time of slowing, the rolling of the bike will make it easier.

I tend to go down the gear and blip anyway so I'm in 1st with the clutch out before I stop (for the noise... obviously :p)

Associate
OP
1st before you stop, even if the clutch is held in the entire time of slowing, the rolling of the bike will make it easier.

I tend to go down the gear and blip anyway so I'm in 1st with the clutch out before I stop (for the noise... obviously :p)

Ah I envy anyone with a nice sounding bike. Don't have that luxury with a 125 :D

Associate
OP
Thanks for the Advice everyone! I plan on taking the bike again this week for a long ride to help break it in and understand it all a bit more. Thanks again!

Soldato
Sounds like you're trying to change gears while stopped - if the gearbox "dogs" aren't lined up it won't go into gear, which is why releasing the clutch (which spins the gear box and allows the gears to line up) works.

When coming up to a junction, try to read the traffic and the lights and be in the right gear. You shouldn't be in 2nd or higher when coming to a stop, just make sure to knock it down into 1st as you roll to a stop.

As for not going into 1st from neutral, are you sitting at lights with the clutch held in while in neutral? Again, this will stop the gearbox turning, meaning the gears won't be lined up and it sometimes won't change into 1st.

No one tells you this on the CBT, it's stuff you quickly learn by riding ;) basically, to change gear smoothly on a bike, the gearbox has to be spinning, whether that's clutch pulled in, in gear and bike moving (which moves the gearbox from the front sprocket end) or clutch out and engine moving the gearbox while in neutral/in gear.

Associate
OP
Sounds like you're trying to change gears while stopped - if the gearbox "dogs" aren't lined up it won't go into gear, which is why releasing the clutch (which spins the gear box and allows the gears to line up) works.

When coming up to a junction, try to read the traffic and the lights and be in the right gear. You shouldn't be in 2nd or higher when coming to a stop, just make sure to knock it down into 1st as you roll to a stop.

As for not going into 1st from neutral, are you sitting at lights with the clutch held in while in neutral? Again, this will stop the gearbox turning, meaning the gears won't be lined up and it sometimes won't change into 1st.

No one tells you this on the CBT, it's stuff you quickly learn by riding ;) basically, to change gear smoothly on a bike, the gearbox has to be spinning, whether that's clutch pulled in, in gear and bike moving (which moves the gearbox from the front sprocket end) or clutch out and engine moving the gearbox while in neutral/in gear.

Exactly what I was looking for! Thank you so much. I usually hold the clutch in while in 1st at a junction as you don't wait around too much. At lights however I'm usually in neutral with the clutch out.

Caporegime
your clutch could be dragging slightly? might need adjustment on the clutch cable 1mm free play

it should go in first from neutral though,if the engine is ticking over too high it can spit the gear lever back out of first if you try and engage first

as for changing down from above third when approaching lights makesure you have speed and room and it should change down fine,dont do a made grab for first with only a few yards of space

I know someone with one of those bikes,he's nearly on 60k miles but it is its second engine

Last edited:
Associate
OP
your clutch could be dragging slightly? might need adjustment on the clutch cable 1mm free play

it should go in first from neutral though,if the engine is ticking over too high it can spit the gear lever back out of first if you try and engage first

as for changing down from above third when approaching lights makesure you have speed and room and it should change down fine,dont do a made grab for first with only a few yards of space

I know someone with one of those bikes,he's nearly on 60k miles but it is its second engine

I can just bring it up when it comes round to its first service at 600 miles. Ask about getting it adjusted. Also, I don't plan on keeping it for 60k miles would hopefully of moved onto a much bigger bike by then.

Back
Top Bottom