New house, new network solution

Associate
Hi all,

I'm hoping you can help me make decisions when it comes to the wifi and network solutions for our new house we move to in December.

We currently live in a Bungalow and use standard BT router & AP with a Cat 6 cable to my office. Because we are moving to a 2.5 storey house, we want to make sure we have good internet all over the house and also importantly to my office (bedroom 3).

I am planning on getting Ubiquiti Unifi AP as an upgrade from the ISP provided kit. I was thinking a single AP AC LR downstairs would be enough? Would this also provide good enough wifi on the first floor for bedroom 2, 3 & main bathroom. Would an AP Pro be better than an AP LR?

I suspect we will need a repeater or another AP on the 2nd floor for our master bedroom? I'm not sure how to do this as the wife does not want wiring run over the house and i'm not sure about going outside and then back in.

What's the best way for me to get Wired internet in my office (bedroom 3)? I am reluctant to use Powerline adapters, but without running cabling everywhere i can see how we will achieve this.

Also downstairs would the red or blue placement be better for the AP?

Ground floor:

1st floor:

2nd floor:

TIA
Dan

Soldato
I would start with the basics, your chosen AP is directional, they are designed to mount on a ceiling in a central location or as part of a multi AP install spaced appropriately and provide signal downwards and outwards, much like a light mounted on a ceiling, it's not designed to light the floor above. Also the product you have chosen is really not ideal in either location suggested, unless you have a specific reason you haven't mentioned, i'd suggest either a more central location, or a product suited to wall mounting and expect to need more than one AP on a 3 storey house, depending on the construction/size and the AP type you may at a push get away with one on the middle floor, but without a survey it's guess work. Cable wise, run it and be done with it, anything else will be a compromise that at this stage isn't worth making unless its a short term rental. It's infinitely easier to pull floorboards and run cable before you move in/decorate than after. If you need to run externally, take feeds up to each floor, hide them behind drainpipes etc. and take drops in and down from the loft space (if you have any) - if it's a modern build, it should have ducting for cables for TV feeds etc.

Associate
OP
I would start with the basics, your chosen AP is directional, they are designed to mount on a ceiling in a central location or as part of a multi AP install spaced appropriately and provide signal downwards and outwards, much like a light mounted on a ceiling, it's not designed to light the floor above. Also the product you have chosen is really not ideal in either location suggested, unless you have a specific reason you haven't mentioned, i'd suggest either a more central location, or a product suited to wall mounting and expect to need more than one AP on a 3 storey house, depending on the construction/size and the AP type you may at a push get away with one on the middle floor, but without a survey it's guess work. Cable wise, run it and be done with it, anything else will be a compromise that at this stage isn't worth making unless its a short term rental. It's infinitely easier to pull floorboards and run cable before you move in/decorate than after. If you need to run externally, take feeds up to each floor, hide them behind drainpipes etc. and take drops in and down from the loft space (if you have any) - if it's a modern build, it should have ducting for cables for TV feeds etc.

thanks for your response.

i didn’t know about the directional of the AP I thought mounting on the wall at around 7ft by the red dot or floor by the blue would work. The reason for the placement is because that is where the internet points are in the house, the wife wants as little wires as possible.

where would putting a LR be best?

it’s a new build house we have bought so ripping up floor boards, carpets etc is not ideal. It sounds to me like I might be better off with a flex HD downstairs rather than an LR or PRO.

A friend of mine suggested running outside by guttering/drainpipes, so that might have to be the best option for the first and second floor.

Soldato
A centrally located FHD on the is probably a better option, failing that Unifi do AP's designed for wall mounting, but again the coverage on the far side of the house and upper floors is likely to be problematic. If it's a new build, ask the developer if they have ducting in place - it may make things a lot easier to run cables than you think.

Permabanned
Don't make it complicated. Pick a spot in the house, stick a cab in it and run 2 network cables (or more per room) into that central point. Then where-ever your main point is run an extra network point from there to the network cab for the main net link.

2-3 AP's should cover 100% wifi cover run them seperate connections and stick them up in corners off join rooms in middle of house.

Soldato
it’s a new build house we have bought so ripping up floor boards, carpets etc is not ideal.

Get the builders to flood wire the house with Cat 6 UTP.

ive asked but it seems they won’t do it as it’s “too late in the build stage”

If the interior walls haven't been plastered, they're talking ********; if the walls have been plastered they can always use exterior grade cables and route them around the outside of the house.

Caporegime
That little square area centre left of every floor plan is the soil stack coming down from the top floor en-suite bathroom. That has to vent somewhere so probably goes all the way up to the loft, that would be the first place I'd look to get cables run throughout the house.

I think people here are overestimating what new build developers are willing to do - if the electrician has done first fix and the walls are boarded then you aren't getting extra cables put in FOC, you're also not getting cables run around the outside. They might let you send a 3rd party in to do additions but I wouldn't bank on it.

Associate
OP
That little square area centre left of every floor plan is the soil stack coming down from the top floor en-suite bathroom. That has to vent somewhere so probably goes all the way up to the loft, that would be the first place I'd look to get cables run throughout the house.

Never noticed this before, so i am thinking if i can get an ethernet to there on the ground floor i can run a cable up to the first and second floor?

I think people here are overestimating what new build developers are willing to do - if the electrician has done first fix and the walls are boarded then you aren't getting extra cables put in FOC, you're also not getting cables run around the outside. They might let you send a 3rd party in to do additions but I wouldn't bank on it.
I'm so glad you have said this, everyone keeps mentioning getting the developer to do x y and z, but because the house build is in progress its too late for us now to specify any extras. The only thing left for us to control is the flooring type.

Associate
OP
I don't think anyone is expecting them to do it for free.
They wont do it paid either once first fix is done, this is why i am trying to find a solution which i can implement when we move in that keeps the wife happy with as little disruption as possible but wired internet in my office and good APs all around the house.

Associate
It's worth checking what cabling you DO have installed by the developers. My reason for saying this is that in our new build we have the ONT under the stairs, and a connection from there to an ethernet port in the Living Room. This much we knew. Having ethernet ports in any other rooms was an extra, at £180 per room. However, it now transpires that we also have (non-terminated) Cat6 running to the Dining Room and Main Bedroom. I spotted these when removing the faceplates. Therefore, you might be lucky, and already have the Cat6 in the walls, you might just need to terminate the cables. Keeping my fingers crossed for you! :)

Associate
OP
It's worth checking what cabling you DO have installed by the developers. My reason for saying this is that in our new build we have the ONT under the stairs, and a connection from there to an ethernet port in the Living Room. This much we knew. Having ethernet ports in any other rooms was an extra, at £180 per room. However, it now transpires that we also have (non-terminated) Cat6 running to the Dining Room and Main Bedroom. I spotted these when removing the faceplates. Therefore, you might be lucky, and already have the Cat6 in the walls, you might just need to terminate the cables. Keeping my fingers crossed for you! :)

That's really interesting. I'm told we have a Cat 6 port in the lounge, but i can't see it on the plan (unless they mean telephone port) so have asked the developer to confirm where it is and if the other telephone ports in the kitchen are also Cat6. How would i find out if the have run the cabling but not terminated them?

Associate
That's really interesting. I'm told we have a Cat 6 port in the lounge, but i can't see it on the plan (unless they mean telephone port) so have asked the developer to confirm where it is and if the other telephone ports in the kitchen are also Cat6. How would i find out if the have run the cabling but not terminated them?

On our plan, the ethernet port in the Living Room was shown as T.V./SATELLITE/DATA POINT in the legend. The optional ethernet ports in the Dining Room and Main Bedroom were shown as T.V. POINT WITH OPTIONAL DATA POINT. In both locations the co-ax TV Points were in the faceplates, and the Cat6 was hidden behind the faceplates, non-terminated.

Therefore, what the developers were charging £180 per room for, was to terminate the Cat6 in a faceplate module...daylight robbery!!!

Caporegime
Never noticed this before, so i am thinking if i can get an ethernet to there on the ground floor i can run a cable up to the first and second floor?

It backs onto your under stairs cupboard which seems like the perfect place to locate things like a small cabinet or your router etc. Power can be spurred from the socket on the other side of the cupboard wall - best get a spark to do this but it won't be too pricey.

The ease of getting cables around really depends on the house construction and how the joists run - if you have metal web joists then it will be really easy as you can just pull carpet back in the corner of a room and drill an access hole when you need to turn a corner.

Don't forget you have another soil stack on the right hand side of the image for the downstairs loo and main bathroom, so if you can get over to that position then you will be able to get to bedroom 3 from the under stairs cupboard, and drop down into the living room as well.

As mentioned above, there is a general push towards cabling houses for wired networking - at least in terms of a link from any ONT location (which you should have if this is a new estate) to the living room - the idea is that you put the router out in the open rather than in a cupboard for the best Wi-Fi signal. This is the guidance from Openreach and Virgin Media but unfortunately it's not a requirement for the developer to listen.

Soldato
How furnished is the house upon completion? I.e. have you paid for carpets to be laid etc.

If you're doing a job, you might as well do it properly, and do it once.

As someone else has said, you're lucky having the soil pipe stack running right next to the cupboard under the stairs, that means you can hide a small rack, and be able to route cables up to all floors without too much hassle.

The challenge you have is getting the cables then to the rooms. If there's no skirting on yet, you can buy skirting board that has a channel for cables to run through.

You probably can't go under the carpets anyway, as your house is long, your joists likely run sideways, and you don't really want to be cutting unnecessary holes in the joists. Also the plans look like a terraced house, so would assume you can't run cables on either side, only front and back.

If it were me:
Master BR - Take cable from stack behind bath, and then run it behind the skirting to desired location
BR2 - Easiest one as the stack is in the room, run it behind skirting to desired location
BR3 - Trickiest one. You'll probably need to go from downstairs and route this one outside the front of the house. If you can't go under the floor for the lounge, then i'd probably shoot through the bottom step of the stairs, behind the skirting on the left side, and then outside by (assuming your consumer unit).
Lounge - use the same route for BR3
Kitchen/Diner - easy as right next to stack.

Associate
OP
....Don't forget you have another soil stack on the right hand side of the image for the downstairs loo and main bathroom, so if you can get over to that position then you will be able to get to bedroom 3 from the under stairs cupboard, and drop down into the living room as well.

I believe we have a CAT 6 connection in the lounge (query with the developer outstanding), my plan now is to run a Flex HD from there and also a Cat6 up the soil stack to Bedroom 3 (My office) where i will have another Flex HD. Still not certain what i am doing about Bedroom 1 yet.

Back
Top Bottom