New house, new network solution

Associate
OP
Do i need a Dream Machine?

I am planning on using 'Pure Home' as my provider as we need to use someone from OFNL.
They offer the package below i want to go for:
  • Download: 360 Mbps
  • Upload: 180 Mbps
It asks what router i want if any. Should i be selecting none or the free router?

If i select none does that mean i need a UDM?
If i select the free router do i still need a UDM?

Apart from the controller, which isnt a high priority if i understand it correctly, i dont really see the point in the UDM? (I already have a cheap standard 4 port switch)

Associate
OP
The UDM would eliminate the need for a UAP-FlexHD in the CAT6 location downstairs. It’s also your router, firewall and a 4-port switch.
From an AP perspective is a UDM equal to, better than or worse than for a Flex HD?

From your message, i guess i dont need to get their Router then if the UDM will do this. Will not having a cable direct from feed (small cabinet by left of front door) and connecting via the Cat 6 Living room wall connection be ok?

Soldato
The access point in the UDM is the same components as the FlexHD and HDNano. So it would be every bit as good as a FlexHD.

The FTTP feed is an RJ45 socket. Where does the FTTP ONT live in the building?

And no, you don’t need their router.

Associate
OP
The access point in the UDM is the same components as the FlexHD and HDNano. So it would be every bit as good as a FlexHD.

The FTTP feed is an RJ45 socket. Where does the FTTP ONT live in the building?

And no, you don’t need their router.

Excellent thanks.

The FTTP ONT (If i have understood correctly*) is in the small storage cupboard to the left of the front door (you should be able to see the cupboard on the plan pictures i have attached on Post 1.

*In our house style on a different development (same developer) it was a white huawei box in that cupboard with an RJ45 coming out of it.

Associate
Excellent thanks.

The FTTP ONT (If i have understood correctly*) is in the small storage cupboard to the left of the front door (you should be able to see the cupboard on the plan pictures i have attached on Post 1.

*In our house style on a different development (same developer) it was a white huawei box in that cupboard with an RJ45 coming out of it.

That's the ONT for sure...

Associate
I wasn't planning on plugging the UDM into the ONT though as it's not an ideal location and i want to use the ports on the UDM for my TV/Hi-Fi stack.

Would i be ok plugging my UDM into the Cat 6 wall connection in the lounge?

You'd have to find a way of ensuring the Cat6 wall connection in the lounge is connected to the ONT. Possibly the other end of the Cat6 cable will be terminating in a wallplate next to the ONT, but there's no way of knowing that without checking. Therefore, you'd have ONT -> patch lead -> wallplate (hallway) -> Cat6 cable -> wallplate (lounge) -> patch cable -> UDM

Associate
OP
You'd have to find a way of ensuring the Cat6 wall connection in the lounge is connected to the ONT. Possibly the other end of the Cat6 cable will be terminating in a wallplate next to the ONT, but there's no way of knowing that without checking. Therefore, you'd have ONT -> patch lead -> wallplate (hallway) -> Cat6 cable -> wallplate (lounge) -> patch cable -> UDM

Ok, i wont know this until we move in (December).

I am assuming that the wallplate in the lounge must be connected to something as i have been told it will be there and active?

Associate
Ok, i wont know this until we move in (December).

I am assuming that the wallplate in the lounge must be connected to something as i have been told it will be there and active?

You'd assume so wouldn't you!

Ours is connected to a wallplate next to the ONT (in our case under the stairs), so for me it's ONT -> patch cable -> Router -> patch lead -> wallplate (understairs) -> Cat6 cable -> wallplate (lounge) -> patch lead -> Switch

Soldato
If there's a Cat6 outlet next to the ONT, and another in the living room - the run may just be linking those together.

If the case then you'd just use a short Cat6 cable from ONT to RJ45 outlet next to it, then plug the UDM in the living room into the wall port.

Associate
If there's a Cat6 outlet next to the ONT, and another in the living room - the run may just be linking those together.

If the case then you'd just use a short Cat6 cable from ONT to RJ45 outlet next to it, then plug the UDM in the living room into the wall port.

That's exactly what I said in post #28 :)

Associate
OP
Thanks both @Sparx & @kosymodo

Developer has come back to me saying they will confirm in 24 hours after speaking to the site manager where the Cat 6 ports are (Lounge or Kitchen) as the plans are not clear. I have asked them to check at the same time if there is a wall part in or around the storage cupboard where the ONT is stored.

Soldato
Thanks both @Sparx & @kosymodo

Developer has come back to me saying they will confirm in 24 hours after speaking to the site manager where the Cat 6 ports are (Lounge or Kitchen) as the plans are not clear. I have asked them to check at the same time if there is a wall part in or around the storage cupboard where the ONT is stored.

Let’s hope it’s not in the kitchen!

Associate
OP
Feedback from the site manager was that "all telephone points are data points with cat 6 which are in our lounge, bedroom 1 and bedroom 3" however self-confessed the site office and site manager didn't fully understand the query.

Now, this doesn't match the plan I have which has confused me a little. I have a phone call scheduled with the electrician in the next 24-48 hours who should be able to advise a bit better. I do hope though that they are correct as this could solve my AP issues.

Back
Top Bottom