New iMac 24" & Mac Mini Updates

Soldato
The Mac Minis are still far too expensive though, for a decently spec'd one with 1Gb ram and 100Gb Disc you're looking at £650, that would buy you a pretty decent gaming PC.

However I'm tempted by the 15" 2.16Ghz MBP which I can get for £1444 which seems like a much better deal.

Soldato
I think its meant to be a way for those not sure about apple and OSX to dip a toe in the water for not too much money...I'm gona get the basic one plus 1gb ram, for 449 its still pretty awesome value imo.

Associate
No flipping super drive!!!!!!!

What a rip off!! Thank god I noticed before I ordered, the 1.6ghz mini doesn't come with a superdrive nor is it a option!

Come on apple what are you doing?

That means I have to wait to buy one now!!

I do think the higher spec'd mini is over priced with a few upgrades your looking at £700!

Associate
Big-Mac-Please said:
I do think the higher spec'd mini is over priced with a few upgrades your looking at £700!

I plonked for a 2Gb upgrade which rocketed the price right up. One has to remember though - you're going Apple for Mac OS X primarily. It's worth the extra bit of dough, I reckon.

Soldato
Big-Mac-Please said:
No flipping super drive!!!!!!!

What a rip off!! Thank god I noticed before I ordered, the 1.6ghz mini doesn't come with a superdrive nor is it a option!
Erm, I don't know if I'm missing anything but why don't you go for 1.83Ghz mini mac which has super drive as standard? It is only £529.

Associate
I know you pay for the OS and it is great :)

The problem there is the extra ram shoots up the price again.

Is it more cost affective to do the ram yourself or get apple to do it? I know on my current mini its mega easy but is this the case with the new mini?

Cheers for the replys, I just think the cheaper model should atleast have a option for a superdrive I mean everyone burns things these days!

Man of Honour
Sort of makes me wish I'd waited before buying the ex-top spec Mac Mini for sure, but I did get it when it was fresh out of the gate, so I haven't done badly really. Mind you, when you add on the extra RAM, bigger disk and superdrive that I've got, it closes the gap rather a lot.

Man of Honour
I have just been checking out the new 24 inchers and I have to say what superb value for money. I don't think you could buy or build a PeeCee with that spec for the same money. The screen alone would set you back £600-£700. I am still drooling in a Homer Simpson dougnut related way, at that screen. Wow!

I am sorely tempted to get one with the 256mb 7600, 2.33 and 2 Gbs of ram. I do a lot of CAD work and that would work wonderfully as well as leave my Winblows gaming box in the dust. :)

Associate
The 24" must be soooooo big! The 20" is massive as it is :eek:

It does seem pretty good spec wise. I'm still upset about the mini's.

No updates to the laptops yet, I thought the 12th was ment to be the almight day of change?

Soldato
Just took the plunge got the base model mini.

Absolutely blown away by it, its so slick! Front row is amazing, I'll get the 1gb ram upgrade in maybe 3 months, but as it is I'm amazed at how easy it's been, got open office 2.0 on here, itunes is amazing, firefox, messenger, etc. Its all gravy :)

AND ITS SO TINY! And it doesn't make a noise! And its so quick!

Man of Honour
FirebarUK said:
Just ordered my 24" iMac with 7600GT :D Can't wait.
Nice, I will be ordering mine later or maybe tommorrow. :D

Did you get the 2.33 or the 2.16 version and what rammage?

Man of Honour
FirebarUK said:
I went for the 2.16Ghz with 2GB of rammage. :D
Probably what I am going for as well, do you think there is a real performance difference with a 2.33, I am undecided on that at the moment, hence the delay?

Soldato
I had a quick go with imovie, it wasn't blindingly fast. I wanted the 1gb upgrade, but I can do that myself at a later date anyway - I had spent enough already!

Does firefox really hurt performance that much? I'm using it now, is it better to stick to safari, or use opera or something?

Back
Top Bottom